Why did Benjen Stark join the Night's Watch?

Unfortunately, perhaps Benjen should have married, considering the current state of the remaining Stark children (all in hiding, missing, or across the narrow sea). Would've prevented the Bolton's from claiming Winterfell, if he'd had a claim, and children of his own who would be Starks. Also, he'd have been a useful Bannerman for Robb, when he declared war after Ned's imprisonment in KL.

They say that there has allways been a Stark at the Wall, so Benjen as the youngest son, with nothing to inherit went to the wall.

I wasn't aware of that. Please point me to the place where you found that. I must have missed Rickard's contemporary at the wall as well. My bad.

I wasn't aware of that. Please point me to the place where you found that. I must have missed Rickard's contemporary at the wall as well. My bad.

It's probably not strictly true to say that there has 'always' been a Stark at the Wall. However, we know of quite a few Starks that have served there (many more than any other family, even in the North) and that the Starks have always had a close relationship with the Night's Watch. Enough that this alone would make Ben's decision fairly unremarkable - even without being specifically told about how Ben was impressed by a recruiter's speech at the Harrenhal tourney.

It's possible that Ben had some other reason, but it's also clear that nobody in the books ever remarks on his choice as being odd, and that we're given a fair amount of family and personal background that backs up the idea that it wasn't the sirens-blaring indication of something weird going on that some readers seem to think.

I see a sort of parallel with the Lannister brothers here: you've got the eldest (Tywin/Brandon) who's the golden boy the best at everything etc... then you've got the second (Keven/Ned) who makes up for this by trying to be an ideal 2i/c, and in both cases they took over from their big borther when that big brother was murdered (and in both cases the murder was pretty nasty, thought I will concede Brandon's was much worse). Then there's the third son (Tygett/Benjen) who, growing up, didn't really fit in with the older two because who was too young to play with them/take lessons, learn swordfighting, etc... so since he's not part of the team he tries to strike out on his own. Tygett was apparently an excellent fighter, comparable to Jaime in his prime, but lacked the cunning of Tywin, so would probably never amount to anything more than a flank or van commander in one of his borther's armies. For Benjen of course, the precedent of joining the Wall was already there, since at least he could not be over shadowed by his brothers there, this was arguably a much more effective strategy than Tygett's since he was competing in an entirely different field from his brother, so even if he was less talented, no one colud call him on it. And by all evidence he seems to have been a very good ranger, so good that Lord Mormont was willing to risk himself and (100+?) men to try and find him. The fourth Lannister brother, Gerion also seems to fall into this a bit, since while he spent his youth mocking all three of his brothers, he did set out to find Brightroar when it had been lost for centuries and would not have improved his families situation significantly even if it was found, so he was clearly just doing it for glory, something he'd been scared away from in his youth by the super combo of Tywin and Kevan and the example set by the perpetually angry Tygett.

Does anyone know if GRRM has any brothers? 'Cause he seems to have some slight issues with them, which is even evident amoungst Robb (Tywin), Jon (Kevan by nature, but Tygett by practice) and Theon (Tygett) and would presumably have become noticeable in Bran (has a good relationship with Robb, so Kevan) and Rickon (no idea, but he seems pretty angry so Tygett?) as they got older.

• 10 months later...

Sorry if there is another thread,

Why would Ben Stark join the Night's Watch? Rickard Stark had three sons and a daughter, and lost his heir and his daughter, it would seem that it was imperative for House Stark that Benjen marry and produce more Starks. So what is his motivation there?

I think it's because Ned had himself some youngins securing his bloodlines reign, so Benjen wasn't needed. Which goes to say had Ned died or not had kids I don't think Benny boy would have taken the black and would have been Neds heir instead. He could have become someone's house hold knight sure, but maybe that's not what he wanted. And if he had gotten hitched he wouldn't have a castle for his brood. He also might not mind being in the watch because marriage doesn't suit him? He might like being around the fellas :dunno:

I think it's either:

1. Benjen knows about Jon's parentage and willingly took himself out of the spotlight to help protect it.

2. Benjen helped Lyanna pull off the Knight of the Laughing Tree stunt, which is eventually what led to her to meet Rhaegar and, you know, die. In that case, joining the Watch could be a token of penance for Benjen, if he feels responsible for Lyanna's death.

The Occam's Razor solution — because he's the youngest son — is iffy to me, for the reasons you gave. The Starks could've used some replenishment at that point.

Once Robb was born, Benjen was third in line. Still a bit risky, but I'm assuming he thought the chances of him inheriting were low, especially because Cat was prime for child bearing. Or some have theorized he joined to side some form of shame, whatever that may have been.

I think it's because Ned had himself some youngins securing his bloodlines reign, so Benjen wasn't needed. Which goes to say had Ned died or not had kids I don't think Benny boy would have taken the black. He could have become someone's house hold knight sure, but maybe that's not what he wanted. And if he had gotten hitched he wouldn't have a castle for his brood. He also might not mind being in the watch because marriage doesn't suit him? He might like being around the fellas :dunno:

There's a lot of other options for him, he can serve as Chief of Winterfell's Men At Arms, like Manderly's cousin. Or rule a holdfast somewhere like Ned plans for Bran. Or he could be married off to a widowed lady with lands like Barbrey Dustin. Ben Stark's just from too successful of a family to end up in the NW for no reason.

There's a lot of other options for him, he can serve as Chief of Winterfell's Men At Arms, like Manderly's cousin. Or rule a holdfast somewhere like Ned plans for Bran. Or he could be married off to a widowed lady with lands like Barbrey Dustin. Ben Stark's just from too successful of a family to end up in the NW for no reason.

All this is true. But as I stated maybe being with a woman wasn't an option for him. Also because its not unprecedented that Starks have joined the NW. I just never thought there was anything to it.

I think it's either:

1. Benjen knows about Jon's parentage and willingly took himself out of the spotlight to help protect it.

2. Benjen helped Lyanna pull off the Knight of the Laughing Tree stunt, which is eventually what led to her to meet Rhaegar and, you know, die. In that case, joining the Watch could be a token of penance for Benjen, if he feels responsible for Lyanna's death.

The Occam's Razor solution — because he's the youngest son — is iffy to me, for the reasons you gave. The Starks could've used some replenishment at that point.

My vote is on option #2. Bran witnesses their sword play and I think elsewhere its mentioned thqt they were close. I imagine them having a Jon/Arya kind of dynamic.

The Starks are the one house in Westeros who still recognize the importance of The Wall and still have a significant amount of respect for The Watch, such that they would still think of it as a worthwhile/noble calling.

Maybe there's even some ancient magic/old tie that causes some of the male Starks to be drawn to the wall (this would also explain the oft-asked question about why aren't there a bunch of cadet branches of the Stark family).

It's plausible that Benjen thought it was The Right Thing To Do, in addition to recognizing he was way down the line of succession. There's always celibate service orders for surplus sons to be funneled into for the sake of being a team player for the family. For the southron families [except the Tarlys!] it's the citadel and maesterhood. In our own real world history, it's been the church. For the North, ESPECIALLY for The Starks, (a lead by example bunch if ever there was one), it's the wall.

This is something that has always bothered me. I never saw why Benjen would take the black, especially beacuse there was only Ned, an infant Robb, and then Benjen. The Starks had just ended a huge rebellion, in which they were key players, I would be very insecure after the loss of my father and brother if I was Ned.

I think it's either:

These are what I think are the two most likely reasons, and I also have a very unlikely theory.

Here it goes. Benjen is the Stark that dishonored Ashara Dayne. Once Ned found that she was with child, and then killed herself, Ned upon returning to Winterfell with a wife and child, sent Benjen to the Wall as a punishment.

Benjen is the Stark that dishonored Ashara Dayne. Once Ned found that she was with child, and then killed herself, Ned upon returning to Winterfell with a wife and child, sent Benjen to the Wall as a punishment.

My only problem with this is that Benjen would have been, probably, only about 13 or so during the tourney. Ashara supposedly had her pick of the litter, so to speak, so it's hard to imagine her choosing a snot-nosed kid, or a snot-nosed kid overpowering her.

The Starks are the one house in Westeros who still recognize the importance of The Wall and still have a significant amount of respect for The Watch, such that they would still think of it as a worthwhile/noble calling.

Maybe there's even some ancient magic/old tie that causes some of the male Starks to be drawn to the wall (this would also explain the oft-asked question about why aren't there a bunch of cadet branches of the Stark family).

It's plausible that Benjen thought it was The Right Thing To Do, in addition to recognizing he was way down the line of succession. There's always celibate service orders for surplus sons to be funneled into for the sake of being a team player for the family. For the southron families [except the Tarlys!] it's the citadel and maesterhood. In our own real world history, it's been the church. For the North, ESPECIALLY for The Starks, (a lead by example bunch if ever there was one), it's the wall.

z

But for the Stark family, it just isn't in their interest to have Benjen at the Wall. If Benjen Stark is at Winterfell instead of the Wall, he's the Castellan when Ned goes to WF, he can take the Northern Host or if Robb insists, stay and run Winterfell. There's just too many moments when you realize how good it would be to have Ben Stark around for Ned's kids. He has to have some extra impetus to go to the wall.

My only problem with this is that Benjen would have been, probably, only about 13 or so during the tourney. Ashara supposedly had her pick of the litter, so to speak, so it's hard to imagine her choosing a snot-nosed kid, or a snot-nosed kid overpowering her.

Yeah, I figured Benjen would be too young, but Brandon seems too obvious, Ned to shy, and Benjen is only described by family, so perhaps outside of the Starks he is considered attractive, or had a great personality. Like I said it is unlikely.

On a side note, Ned could have sent Benjen, because he helped Lyanna run off with Rhaegar, without giving Benjen a choice. I'm not sure to read your second point as if Benjen joined of his own volition and self induced penance.

He just liked to be with men....

He's not JonCon or Loras/Renly. There's no indication there. He even says this to Jon You are a boy of fourteen,” Benjen said. “Not a man, not yet. Until you have known a woman, you cannot understand what you would be giving up.”

Archived