September 2011 Reading Thread

Guinevere Seaworth

Just finished reading Michel Bernanos' La montagne morte de la vie (The Other Side of the Mountains) in French (a new English translation comes out next month in The Weird). This was an unsettling, visceral weird fiction. So yeah, I liked it quite a bit. Too bad Bernanos died between writing this short novel and its publication in 1967.

Just finished Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding. Reminded me of Firefly. Fun sci-fi, with a good message about the power of friendship, loyalty, and redemption. I enjoyed it, but thought both character and plot development were a little uneven. Liked Crake, Malvery, and Jez immediately, but Took a while to figure Cap'n Frey out. Wanted to know more about daemons and the Manes, and felt the Awakeners were also drawn awfully thin, but maybe they're all better developed in Black Lung Captain.

There is more information about those, particularly the Manes, in Black Lung Captain, which I would say was probably better than the first book overall (and I liked the first book).

Finishing up an old favorite that I hadn't read in many years: Travels With Charley. Then it's on to Looking for the King, Toward the Gleam, then it's time for the annual re-reading of Lord of the Rings. At some point I need to get to the 3 novels of Gormengast.

Seriously, what IS it with everyone in the world reading NOTW and WMF right now??

I just finished WMF yesterday. Most of the stuff that other people have criticized really didn't bother me much, if at all. Kvothe can still be an irritating Gary Stu at times, but I liked that we got to see several things that he WASN'T good at. I can't wait to see whether Rothfuss will be able to deliver the goods in the last book...

I finished up Woody Holton's biography Abigail Adams. I enjoyed it--always nice to get to see some of the "other" side to common historical eras. And weird to read a book where "Adams" refers to a woman and the former President was merely "John." :)

Looking for something new to read but not sure what. I have a couple that I am still in the middle of, so will try to finish those first, I guess!

Hey guys --

Which do y'all think I should tackle next?

Windup Girl OR Yiddish Policemen's Union OR Leviathan Wakes OR The Algebraist OR The City & The City?

I liked YPU, LW and tC&tC out of those (not read the others). I'd probably say YPU was the best of them, although tC&tC wasn't far behind. The Algebraist is one of the few Iain M Banks books I haven't read yet, but it does seem to have a reputation as one of the weaker ones.

I liked YPU, LW and tC&tC out of those (not read the others). I'd probably say YPU was the best of them, although tC&tC wasn't far behind. The Algebraist is one of the few Iain M Banks books I haven't read yet, but it does seem to have a reputation as one of the weaker ones.

Thanks!

I started Yiddish Policemen's Union a few weeks ago, but at the time I just was NOT in the mood for thinking -- and it seemed to be a book that would require some thought -- so I set it aside. Perhaps now is the time to give it another try!

Just finished "A Dance with Dragons" last night; you may have heard of it. Now I'm reading a book called "Consider Pheblus", which is a high concept space opera novel. Just started, so am not too familiar with what it's about. I'm just hoping it can sate the post ASOIF depression I have going on.

Hey guys --

Which do y'all think I should tackle next?

Windup Girl

OR

Yiddish Policemen's Union

OR

Leviathan Wakes

OR

The Algebraist

OR

The City & The City

?

I tried reading The Algebraist but found it inaccessible. I stopped about 1/3 of the way in because I just couldn't get into it or really care at all about the characters.

A friend recommended The Windup Girl, but warned that it was also pretty dense and a bit hard to follow. I'll get to it sooner or later.

Haven't read Yiddish Policemen's Union or City & the City yet, but they're also on my list.

I started Yiddish Policemen's Union a few weeks ago, but at the time I just was NOT in the mood for thinking -- and it seemed to be a book that would require some thought -- so I set it aside. Perhaps now is the time to give it another try!

Yes, I wouldn't really say it was particularly light reading, it can be quite dense at times because there is a lot of description and detailed world-building. I think some people didn't like that about it, but I didn't think it was excessive and the plot did keep up enough momentum to keep it interesting.

Currently alternating between Zoran Živković's KnjigaThe Book. Javier Marías' Tu rostro mañana 1: Fiebre y lanza, Miyuki Miyabe's Ico: Castle in the Mist, and the two-volume Library of America edition Harlem Renaissance. Nice variety in reads so far.

Currently alternating between Zoran Živković's KnjigaThe Book. Javier Marías' Tu rostro mañana 1: Fiebre y lanza, Miyuki Miyabe's Ico: Castle in the Mist, and the two-volume Library of America edition Harlem Renaissance. Nice variety in reads so far.

This is going to be the dumbest thing I have ever asked on this board, but is Ico in anyway the basis for the PS2 game?

This is going to be the dumbest thing I have ever asked on this board, but is Ico in anyway the basis for the PS2 game?

Flip it around. The book follows after the game, with some changes, from what I understand.

It's based on the game loosely. MY friends run the local anime shop and they said it's a decent quick read. And one of them is the person who forced me to read ASOIAF, so they have good taste.

Archived