September 2011 Reading Thread

Guinevere Seaworth

Surprised that nobody has created this thread yet!

You know the drill, let the world know what you read and your thoughts are regarding that book.

I've finished The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick. I liked it, but there is something about the character or the writing that lacks the emotional impact like Sharon Kay Penman novels on similar topics.

Right now I'm into a few chapters into The Adamantine Palace by Stephen Deas.

Nothing new and exciting for me. Left my books at home but my offered to bring me one up to work. I had no clue at all what I wanted so she chose It randomly, something I haven't read since I was in junior high. Needless to say I was pretty happy with her choice and am tearing through it.

yeah, there are some gripes against Stephen King, but his books are always, at least for me, a breeze to read. It is much much better than i remembered.

Contemplating re-reading some Christopher Moore, namely Fool. It's been far too long without some excellent absurdist comedy in my life. wink.gif

just recently picked up lamb to read a passage that always cracks me up and ended up blowing through the whole thing in a couple of days. i find moore to be infinitely re-readable. fool was absolutely hilarious.

Contemplating re-reading some Christopher Moore, namely Fool. It's been far too long without some excellent absurdist comedy in my life. wink.gif

My Moore list, in order of favorites-

1. Fool

1a. Lamb

2. Coyote Blue

3. Practical Deamonkeeping

I love the man, but he has got to stop writing crappy vampire novels. Only the first of the three was good.

Re-reading Name of the Wind. I had doubtgs about it the first time because I thought Kvothe was kind of a Bobby Lou with everything coming to him too easily. Now I think it's just the problem of the unreliable narrator.

Just finished Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding. Reminded me of Firefly. Fun sci-fi, with a good message about the power of friendship, loyalty, and redemption. I enjoyed it, but thought both character and plot development were a little uneven. Liked Crake, Malvery, and Jez immediately, but Took a while to figure Cap'n Frey out. Wanted to know more about daemons and the Manes, and felt the Awakeners were also drawn awfully thin, but maybe they're all better developed in Black Lung Captain.

Archived