Did Jon find the Horn of Winter?

HashRouge

Random thought about the bones: could they be connected to "giants from the earth"? Are they awoken by some kind of song?

I would like this very much! There is truth in the bones... But I suspect the giants are the forces of nature, and they will wake from a song (horn?) when Bran gets his exam from cave-school.

Or... another idea just popped up, Bran will be able to wake and connect with the long gone "giants" - the heroes of old, and learn both this and that and put them into the action. Please? The old Kings of winter who's bones are in the crypt?

His is the song of ice and fire so he already has a real song actually (if we subscribe to R+L=J and R being confused in Danys vision), Rhaegar had already written it but nobody knows the song. Maybe Howland Reed does though.

Theory of A Great Song! Aye, I like the sound of that :)

I understood what Rhaegar said to mean he didn't write the song but that it already existed. Because Elia asked him if he would write the song and he said "He already has a song" I think the COTF are the ones who know the song. In the Bran chapter in ADWD, Bloodraven said "For every song must have a balance" and the children just kept singing all the time. I still subscribe to the belief that the song is for three people.

Dany - Fire

Jon - Ice and Fire (Can bond to both a direwolf and Dragon)

Bran - Ice

With Jon being the balance that fulfils the long awaited prophecy of the chosen one to unite them both with Blood, Blood magic. BOOM :D

I understood what Rhaegar said to mean he didn't write the song but that it already existed. Because Elia asked him if he would write the song and he said "He already has a song" I think the COTF are the ones who know the song. In the Bran chapter in ADWD, Bloodraven said "For every song must have a balance" and the children just kept singing all the time. I still subscribe to the belief that the song is for three people.

Dany - Fire

Bran - Ice

With Jon being the balance that fulfils the long awaited prophecy of the chosen one to unite them both with Blood, Blood magic. BOOM :D

I agree with this. He is not the song but has a song and it involves more than one person. Very well said.

I would like this very much! There is truth in the bones... But I suspect the giants are the forces of nature, and they will wake from a song (horn?) when Bran gets his exam from cave-school.

Or... another idea just popped up, Bran will be able to wake and connect with the long gone "giants" - the heroes of old, and learn both this and that and put them into the action. Please? The old Kings of winter who's bones are in the crypt?

I just want to say on my reread of ADWD. The first Jon chapter, Melisandre tells Jon that through her fires she can "see through stone and earth and find the truth within men's souls. I can speak to kings long dead and children not yet born, and watch the years and seasons flicker past, until the end of days."

Exactly like Bran with his weriwood trees. The important thing is they can talk to people in the past. The potentials this ability presents are mind staggering. i bet you anything Bran will be able to do the same.

I also feel like the horn of winter and the dragon horn that Victarion has are somehow related (not the same obviously, since his is more a horn of fire sort of). I think they're probably opposites. Like the horn of fire controls dragons born of fire and maybe the horn of winter will awake dragons born of ice (or stone dragons) when the wall is brought down? I don't know, something like that maybe. I think they're definitely related somehow, though. Many people think Jon and Dany are going to join forces. I think it's equally possible they will somehow be pitted against each other before all is said and done. Fire and Ice seem like natural enemies, after all, and the series title might mean ice and fire are going to war with one another. I suppose Jon could bring Ice and Fire together also, though, especially if he is in fact a Targaryen.

I just want to say on my reread of ADWD. The first Jon chapter, Melisandre tells Jon that through her fires she can "see through stone and earth and find the truth within men's souls. I can speak to kings long dead and children not yet born, and watch the years and seasons flicker past, until the end of days."

Exactly like Bran with his weriwood trees. The important thing is they can talk to people in the past. The potentials this ability presents are mind staggering. i bet you anything Bran will be able to do the same.

Yeah I always felt there were some similarities and little differences between Fire and Ice magic. I had a post on a parallels and similarities thread not too long ago on the similarities between Dany's undying and Bran's cave trip. especially the drink. Dany had shade of the evening and it tasted terrible at first, then tasted like everything she ever loved and when Bran drank the weirwood sap, it also had the exact same effect.

Yeah I always felt there were some similarities and little differences between Fire and Ice magic. I had a post on a parallels and similarities thread not too long ago on the similarities between Dany's undying and Bran's cave trip. especially the drink. Dany had shade of the evening and it tasted terrible at first, then tasted like everything she ever loved and when Bran drank the weirwood sap, it also had the exact same effect.

Exactly. The parallels are mind boggling, the two are definitely connected somehow.

Hehe, possible. I might have been carried away a bit. I just love the more romantic, tragic, mythical symphony of death and life. That's why I'd like to give the more prophane explanations a drift toward mind over matter. Funny thing about Bloodraven warging the cat. Shouldn't he have chosen a bigger and more dangerous animal though? :D

Oh, I hope not! That would mean, it'll be only at "the end of all things", which seems very late in the game. I also like to see Daenerys as a possible antagonist, because I think that would be more interesting then "exiled princess returns to her homeland and kicks ass". As for the interpretations of the Undying prophecy - I think all possibilities are open. I admit there may appear some Jon-Dany love, at some point. :ack:

The more interesting topic of songs:

Songs have always played a big role in fantasy, even in the deeper, mythical sense. Like when the great song of the Ainur leads to the creation of Arda. It was a song of great beauty and harmony, until Melkor added dissonance.

You're idea was great! :cheers: It could still be both.

BR might warg several animals. Warging a cat in the castle would be a good animal I think. It's a small domesticated pet.

& that's why I lean more towards the magic in the wall theory. It would take her forever to get to the wall. I still would love to know what it means though but I can't think of anything.

Dany - Fire

Bran - Ice

Of course, Rhaegar could have meant it this way. I thought this too, but then started to imagine the possibility of a "real" song, since Rhaegar was a musician. The song of Ice and Fire could be the song of the elements, and it would be about all of them, with Jon as the balance. I like this!

I really hope he will put an end to the blood magic! I can see the armageddon as a result of this magic and the few that survive will ban it forever.

I think this is what Bran will do too, think of the possibilities!

There are similarities between the fire magic and the CotF magic. I think there are some differences too but we have not seen enough yet to be sure.

The "earth" magic seems to come from the living things, the trees being alive and by sacrificing your own life you can access their magic. I think Bran is going to be bound to that tree, thus sacrificing his life.

The fire magic seems to require sacrifice of others, like the Undying wanting to take Danys life to prolong their own, and Melisandre burning people to give herself magic powers.

But all this could be wrong, it's just a hunch I have :)

BR might warg several animals. Warging a cat in the castle would be a good animal I think. It's a small domesticated pet.

There is a cat in the Red Keep that Arya was trying to catch; it had a torn ear.

This same cat is mentioned in the epilogue of ADWD when Ser Kevan Lannister is speaking to Tommen.

"The bad cat was outside my window last night" he informed Kevan at one point, "but Ser Pounce hissed at him and he ran off across the roofs".

"The bad cat?" Ser Kevan said, amused. He is a sweet boy.

"An old black tomcat with a torn ear," Cercei told him. "A filthy thing, and foul-tempered. He clawed Joff's hand once." She made a face. "The cats keep the rats down, I know, but that one... he's been known to attack ravens in the rookery."

"I will ask the ratters to set a trap for him."

Its interesting that Martin takes the time to mention this cat again, especially in an epilogue. I wouldn't be surprised if this is how the Three-Eyed-Crow has been viewing events in the Red Keep, by warging into the cat with the torn ear. Arya mentioned how the cat was notoriously difficult to catch, and the comment Cercei makes about him clawing Joffrey's hand could also indicate something.

• 2 weeks later...

This is from ACOK:

Again in the next Jon chapter in ACOK:

I wonder why it was buried under the fist? Isn't the Fist of the First Men supposed to be protected by magic?

This is really interesting! It could be very possible, but I still think it is probably the horn of winter.

This is brilliant. Everybody thinks the horn should be something awesome, made of valirian steel, with runes and huge, because the horn is supposed to be very powerful. Powerful doesn't come from appearence in this book. So, what do we know about the horn of winter? We know it existed in the Joramun's lifetime, so in the Age of Heroes, before the Andals. The First Men were bronze users. So, probably, in a way similar to Indiana Jones 3, the simplest and oldest auroch and bronze warhorn is really more likely than some fancy valirian horn. Valiria was founded thousands of years after Joramun's death. It is said that the children of the forest had a good relationship with the Night's Watch, giving them 100 dragonglass daggers a year. The Children were magical, they could have made(or found) the horn and gave to a Watcher.

Also, the cape on the cache with the dragonglass and the warhorn could be the Night King's cape. He was a Commander of the Night's Watch, allegied with the Others, that had all reasons to want to destroy the wall. He fought against Joramun and maybe got the horn from him, but was killed before he could use it. Or maybe it is from one of the watchers that rebelled against the Night King.

The horn is called the "Horn of Winter". It can have some magical/thermical properties, like spreading hot weather(so dissolving The Wall or the snow that was over the giants, therefore waking them). Or reversal, it could bring the cold, making the Others strong enough to cross the Wall. It could just dispel magic...

Anyway, if the Others are to be any danger, The Wall must be destroyed. Now that Jon has fallen, maybe someone will blow the horn, even by accident. Jon tried to use it, outside the Wall, but couldn't take any sound from it. So, he gave it to Sam, that probably left it in the maesters chambers. During the aftermatch of Jon's stabbing, someone could have blown that horn to call for help.

• 3 years later...

It is obvious that "waking giants from the earth" is the ability to create earthquakes. I think the destruction of the Arm might be a combination of earthquakes and Hammers.

It is also obvious that the horn Jon found and now Sam has is Joramun's Horn and it can create earthquakes.

I think Sam's horn will be used to destroy the Hightower and so we will see what is hidden under that oily black stone foundation.

I also wonder how can an earthquake summoning horn be called Horn of Winter.

• 6 months later...

The horn is not obsidian. It's a horn. A horn is made of horn. You would need to find an animal made of obsidian to get an obsidian horn.

I also think the small one Jon found is the real deal. And it would have been hilarious if they had been able to make it sound and had heard a certain big rumble... Sam still has the horn, but he is not able to make it sound. So I guess he will be the one to find out what it is and how it works. I think it will be more about giants than about the Wall, though.

Also it's difficult to find out which horn could bring down the Wall if you don't really want to. No other chance than to make it sound and see what happens, much like red wire/blue wire in a movie with a bomb. Anyone else thinks those horns have become a little silly by now?

A dragon horn maybe?

• 3 weeks later...

So, remember waaay back when Jon found the cache of obsidian blades and arrowheads? Was the horn that he found at the same time and gave to Sam the Horn of Winter? Crackpot theory, or has it already been mentioned a thousand times?

I have always thought that the broken horn he found that night was the horn of winter.  Now its at the Citadel with Sam.  I'm truly looking forward to this part of the story to see how it plays out.  I'm wondering if one of the Maesters will recognize what Sam has and if they will be able to repair and find the way to use it.  Why they would want to bring the Wall down I'm not sure, but somethings cookin at the Citadel. 

I thought it was the Horn of Winter - sort of like Chechov's gun, what's the use of pointing out that there is a horn in the magic cache, and thenthe selfsame horn turns up in Sam's baggage, and thenthe horn isn't given to the Captain, while, at the same time, some people are desparately searching for a horn that might be possibly very important later on, but, you know, in the meantime Sam is carrying the - *meaningful glance - possibly relevant horn to Oldtown.

Why even bring up the point if it isn't relevant? We never learn anything about Sam's toothbrush*, so why should we learn about Sam's horn unless it is important?

* wouldn't it have been great if Mance had been looking for The Toothbrush of Winter, BTW?

Archived