Sandor Clegane v. 7...better, faster, stronger...

headtrip_honey

I won't argue with you at all about Cersei's absolute failure in raising Tommen.

I'm not sure that Joff and his mother would have come into major conflict. It's possible, but I also see Joff as very much being his mother's son. I see them more as being partners in crime than anything. It's hard to say, of course, because he died. We don't know "what would have been," so it's kind of pointless to argue. But you are correct that she idealizes Joff. Her darling little golden douchebag.

I do disagree with why she wanted the Hound there, but that's my reading. She never seems to dislike the lessons, just that it was Loras teaching him, and Loras that Tommen was becoming infatuated with. She's so terrified of the Tyrells that she wants them nowhere near her son.

She even thinks, regarding Tommen needing to be taught the ways of a knight by Loras, "Someone will [teach him], but it will not be you."

So even though she freaks about his safety, she rationally (I know, I know, so rare for her in AFFC) knows that he needs to learn. She also thinks that "The Knight of Flowers was no sort of man for any boy to emulate." When thinking of other possible masters at arms, she considers Ser Tallad and Ser Dermot, both able knights. So clearly she wants someone competent for the position.

I believe that she thinks the Hound would have been perfect - competent, loyal to House Lannister, and Tommen wouldn't cross him. I may be reading too much into it that she would like Tommen to get a backbone from Sandor, but that's my reading.

This may be influenced by the fact that I think Sandor actually WOULD have been good for Tommen. He clearly didn't dislike the kid, and I'm not sure Tommen would have been as scared of Sandor without Joff there.

ironically, it's as though she wants Tommen to be like Robert - big and tough and swinging around an enormous war hammer, seizing control of the throne when others could've made a grab for it. Loras is too slender, pretty, and feminine, in addition to the crime of being a Tyrell. Cersei values aggression over flash. I doubt she was much impressed with that stunt Loras pulled with the mare in heat. The Hound was the perfect candidate: tough, effective, mouthy (but not to her), and straight-forward.

Tommen and Sandor would just be adorable together. Tommen's such an animal lover; they'd get on famously.

this is relevant, I swear:

Sandor as babysitter...

and

Tommen and his kittens

(check out Balerion in the back!)

Soooooo cute. But shall GRRM use the FM made paste and make them the kittens of doom. Or ooooh I know, the dragon must have three heads, maybe it's Ser Pounce, Boots and Lady Whiskers all along and Balerion is AA. Ah It is known :closedeyes: .

I believe that she thinks the Hound would have been perfect - competent, loyal to House Lannister, and Tommen wouldn't cross him. I may be reading too much into it that she would like Tommen to get a backbone from Sandor, but that's my reading.

This may be influenced by the fact that I think Sandor actually WOULD have been good for Tommen. He clearly didn't dislike the kid, and I'm not sure Tommen would have been as scared of Sandor without Joff there.

I had the same reading HH and also in regards to the backbone. The Hound was one of the few people that stood up to Joff in a way and I'm sure Cersei would have noticed that. Thus she would assume Sandor would take that same 'I'll say what I want if I feel it no matter who you are'  approach to Tommen. 

Seeing she thinks Tommen is weaker then Joff and needs toughening up I'm sure she would think the Hound would be a hard arse and scathing on him but little does Cersei know of that time Sandor was complimenting Tommen for having guts. 

I believe  Cersei thought there was no threat to her power with the Hound as an influence for Tommen because he wasn't with Joff and probably thought Tommen would freak out anyway. But I think she would have been surprised and taken unawares as the Hound could have possibly guided Tommen into manhood in a strong positive way if he had a mind to. 

I was thinking about the Sandor scene when he rescues Sansa from the mob and rides back into the gates of the palace with her behind him on the horse, arms tight around his chest (btw I cannot wait to see this scene played out on the show). Doesn't it seem like he would have gotten on the horse w/ Sansa in front of him though... it seems like that would be faster under the circumstances. I have trouble picturing him getting on the horse with her sitting behind. I do like though that she wraps her arms tight around him.

I was thinking about the Sandor scene when he rescues Sansa from the mob and rides back into the gates of the palace with her behind him on the horse, arms tight around his chest (btw I cannot wait to see this scene played out on the show). Doesn't it seem like he would have gotten on the horse w/ Sansa in front of him though... it seems like that would be faster under the circumstances. I have trouble picturing him getting on the horse with her sitting behind. I do like though that she wraps her arms tight around him.

I am so glad I'm not the only one who is bugged by this little detail. Seriously, I know it's spectacularly unimportant in the grand scheme of things, but it really bugs me! It seems like it would have made so much more sense for him to climb on to the horse behind her. Sansa was already sitting in front, so he would have had to take the time to lift her up, move her back, then climb on himself and swing his leg waaaaayy over her head so he could straddle the horse (granted, he's a tall, long-legged dude, but still!), and all this would have been happening while an angry, violent mob swarmed around them and tried to kill them. It would have made so much more sense, and been so much quicker, for him to just swing up behind her, grab the reins, and take off. And another thing: Wouldn't Sansa have been safer sitting in front of him than behind, where she could much more easily be pulled off or stabbed or beaten, etc.?

So whenever I envision that scene, I'm always like, "But why does he... ? But wouldn't it make more sense to... ? How high did he have to lift his leg to get it over her... ? I dunn understand..."

Why do I care so much about this one, tiny, inconsequential detail? I don't know, I just do, ok?

I'm a very bad horse-rider, but it seems to me that when you need to take someone on horseback with you and ride away very quickly, the better solution is, indeed, for this someone to ride pillion. The way it was Sansa could hold on for dear life without hindering the horse in any way. Were she in front of Sandor, she would have to grab either the reins or the horse's neck, which is a bad idea when the horse is in gallop.

Yeah, so that little detail always bothered me, too. I haven't ridden a horse in years, but I cannot come up with a way he could have easily got on that horse in front of her.

And Ednawolf, I hate to rain on your parade, but I don't think there are going to be horses in the mob scene. Still photos from what's believed to be the riot don't show any horses.

And Ednawolf, I hate to rain on your parade, but I don't think there are going to be horses in the mob scene. Still photos from what's believed to be the riot don't shoe any horses.

Apparently Sophie Turner is massively allergic to them, plus they save tons of money by keeping the scene on foot. Not sure how it's gonna work, but however they change it up, I am keen as mustard for that scene. ^_^

[/off topic]

I'm assuming that after he drove the mob away from her, he pulled her down so that he could get on in front of her. That way he has free access to his sword and control of the horse to get them out of the riot, and Sansa can hang onto him easily.

As long as Sandor saves her from the riot, I'll be happy. It seems like a pretty dangerous scene to film on horseback too.

Apparently Sophie Turner is massively allergic to them, plus they save tons of money by keeping the scene on foot. Not sure how it's gonna work, but however they change it up, I am keen as mustard for that scene. ^_^

[/off topic]

So instead of her riding behind him, holding on for dear life, he probably gets to carry her.

//will not mind one bit

[/off topic]

I'm assuming that after he drove the mob away from her, he pulled her down so that he could get on in front of her. That way he has free access to his sword and control of the horse to get them out of the riot, and Sansa can hang onto him easily.

As long as Sandor saves her from the riot, I'll be happy. It seems like a pretty dangerous scene to film on horseback too.

Also, it's been established that Sansa isn't the best rider - Sandor would likely be able to get out of there quicker having full control of the horse.

Archived