Gendry?

The_Maltese_Wolf

I keep hoping for Brienne to marry him (he DOES look like Renly-with-muscles, afterall).

:D

Loras would just love him.

Wow, it doesn't actually sound all that crazy, considering the Cersei-had-a-baby-with-Robert thing from the show that definitely wasn't in the book. Maybe they wanted to add in more clues so it wouldn't look that far-fetched in the 7th season where Gendry becomes king :uhoh: ? (or they could have just wanted to make the laical audience think that Jon Snow is Cersei and Robert's)

I like your thinking on this one. Could be that they wanted to add that in there. What really goes against this theory is Cersei recollection of that woods witch that told her she'd have 3 children and her husband would have 16. Assuming those prophecies were true then Gendry ain't her kid.

What if Genrdy is Lyanna's kid?? Jon Snow's half brother??

What really goes against this theory is Cersei recollection of that woods witch that told her she'd have 3 children and her husband would have 16. Assuming those prophecies were true then Gendry ain't her kid.

What if Genrdy is Lyanna's kid?? Jon Snow's half brother??

Oh, forgot about the prophecy... I think Gendry's just a bastard, really. Somebody's got to be just a bastard in these books!

Lyanna's child? By whom, Robert? I don't think Robert got 'it' :D

Oh, forgot about the prophecy... I think Gendry's just a bastard, really. Somebody's got to be just a bastard in these books!

I don't think Robert got any Lyanna either. I just threw it out there to get some bites. And you're very right, somebody's just gotta be a bastard in these books.

Well, regardless of what Jon does/doesn't accomplish, he is just a bastard as well. Targ/Stark bastard or not.

It is very unlikely that Jon is illegitimate. The kingsguard would not have been there protecting him if they didn't think he was the heir, so it only makes sense that Rheagar and Lyanna were married. Otherwise, Hightower, Dayne, and Whent would have already left for dragonstone.

I don't think their is any way Stannis would ever make any of Robert's bastards legitimate, becuase any legit bastard from Robert would be in front of Stannis in the line of succession...since he is the younger brother.....and that would eliminate the "just cause" that Stannis is fighting.

Things harder to manipulate -
  • She used to sing to him - Any woman can sing to her child, but the most intriguing is...
  • Yellow Hair - You cant cheat your genes (see Joffrey) so if Gendry was told that his mother had black hair and over time his hair lightened out (which is possible) then he'd know it wasnt true.

I just can't picture Cersei singing to her child. She definitely has maternal instincts (as shown with Joffrey), but the way she shows them isn't very traditional. I could see her telling her child stories about how he can do whatever he wants and should take over the world, but I wouldn't expect many lullabies.

Gendry remembers his mother bringing some unwashed, drunken sots home from her working place. Apparently she was somewhere between a serving girl and a whore. And Gendry was old enough to disapprove. No way Gendry is Cerseis son. Sometimes a bastard is just a bastard. And a decent person. Just like Roberts other well-known bastards Mya Stone and Edric Storm.

I believe that Gendry is no longer a part of the story.

He could have been a potential heir as he was one of Roberts bastards. However, Tommen is the "rightful" heir right now. The Tyrells and Lannisters will never admit that he is a bastard of Jaime and Cersei as they would both lose claim to the throne. At this point I don't think anyone really cares who the "rightful" heir to the Iron Throne is. Not to mention that the Targaryens are coming back.

Gendry just has no supprot to gain the Iron Throne. As I said, the Lannisters and Tyrells both lose their claim if they recognize him as the heir, so they won't support him. Stannis won't support him as I'd have to imagine a brother comes before a bastard (even if I'm wrong about that, I don't think Stannis would support him). The Targaryens won't support him as he is a son of the Usurper. Dorne is in support of the Targaryens. The Boltons and Freys have no honor so they would be the only ones who could potentially attempt to raise him to the throne for their own purposes. So basically it would be impossible for him to gain enough, if any, support to gain the Iron Throne.

Not to mention that with Dany coming back to Westeros, Bran's story moving forward with the children of the forest, the Others still needing to attack, Littlefinger and Vary's schemes, Arya needs to come back (GRRM says she is his favorite so expect a lot about her), and everything else thats going on, I just don't see any room for Gendry (at least nothing major).

I personally always liked Gendry I allways keep thinking back on the comment he made to Ayra about how his master said he was meant to weild a hammer that could be forshadowing to hes going to be a great warrior like his dad or just that hes going to a blacksmith all his life, which i doubt. I dont think that hes going to be a HUGE part of the end of the series or even meet anyone of the POVs but i think that hes going to be in a battle or two and maybe be talked about later on as a fabled lord, you never know so its dumb to speculate that a character is just going to disappear i dont think thats GRRMs style.

I personally always liked Gendry I allways keep thinking back on the comment he made to Ayra about how his master said he was meant to weild a hammer that could be forshadowing to hes going to be a great warrior like his dad or just that hes going to a blacksmith all his life, which i doubt. I dont think that hes going to be a HUGE part of the end of the series or even meet anyone of the POVs but i think that hes going to be in a battle or two and maybe be talked about later on as a fabled lord, you never know so its dumb to speculate that a character is just going to disappear i dont think thats GRRMs style.

Yet when Brienne met him at the forge ain AFFC, he was working on a sword for himself, not on a hammer. And since he is so stubborn that it is hard to make him listen, he'll probably never find out that he is one of Robert's bastards. Brienne tried to to tell him. If he never learns of his heritage, he'll never understand why his master thought that the hammer was meant to be his weapon.

The HBO series has no relevance at all to the books; they have added and taken away stuff. I have watched it and they are trying to make Cersei much more likable in the series than GRRM did in the books, which I prefer.

I agree. I saw the show first and then read the books. I found how the show added sympathy to Cersei (scene with Catelyn at the sickbed of Bran, scene with Robert when they discuss their marriage) great when I saw it. But then I read the books - and I liked how Cersei is described there much more. You have to feel for her, even if it is just a bit, She is undoubtedly a bad person and probably was so as a child (how she treated Tyrion as a child). But I feel for her because she lives in constant fear and always makes choices that turn out bad, bad..

The theory about Cersei being Gendry's mother - I don't buy it if it is just rooted in that Gendry remembers his mother has yellow hair.

Even if Cersei's baby by Robert was not aborted but alive at birth, it was probably taken away immediately. Didn't she (Cersei) say somewhere that "Jaime took care of it"? That can mean that he took away a baby that was just born, but it can also mean that he arranged an abortion. And new babies by Robert were prevented by drinking the moon tea.

I think this thread is missing some points. Gendry's place in the series has a few key points.

First, he's one of King Robert's bastards. I think we've explored that adequately. Bastards aren't in the line of succession. Period. (Unless they're legitimized, but then they're not bastards anymore, are they?).

Second, he's got a history with Arya. Yes, I can see the potential for a Arya / Gendry matchup.

Third, he's a smith. Frankly, I don't see him forging Lightbringer, but you guys are making a convincing argument. And see below!

OK here's where we get places that I think this thread hasn't gone. And should.

Fourth. He's with the Brotherhood without Banners. Along with Harwin and UnCat, but Harwin isn't as well-characterized and Uncat isn't available as a POV. So we have a possible view into the BwoB. Anyone think that they're getting any less important? Gendry's a critical character right there just for that. He's an anointed knight now, and next time we see him, I don't doubt he'll be a leader.

Which brings us to.... fifth. I'm surprised that no one's mentioned that he's a follower of the Lord of Light now. The villagers in the riverlands are lighting nightfires now. Can anyone doubt that there's a religious war brewing? Especially with the Faith becoming more militant after a long period of corruption and recent subservience to the Lannisters who ravaged the riverlands. Again, Gendry is right there in the thick of things. Eventually, even Dany will have to choose sides.

Harrenhal is officially Petyr's, but really it belongs to Ser Bonnifer and his Holy Hundred. The High Septon has his army, but no great holding to stage from. Harrenhal is a white elephant to any lord who tries to hold it, but Faith could conceivably do it: they have the need and they have the numbers. My opinion is this: I expect that when they declare a purge against the heretics in the riverlands that we'll see a very different side of the Faith, and they'll base themselves in Harrenhal.

Ser Gendry's stubbornness is very Baratheon. And it will make him a formidable battle commander and leader if he rises to a position of authority. Good looking, physically imposing. His common origins are a plus in a peasant uprising, but he still has that knighthood (which I doubt anyone outside the BwoB will recognize, but it is legit). And level-headed and practical, but still with the requisite religious fervor.

People who think that GRRM is done with Ser Gendry are sadly mistaken, IMO. I suspect that he was a seed planted early in the series who will bear some very interesting fruit in later books.

People who think that GRRM is done with Ser Gendry are sadly mistaken, IMO. I suspect that he was a seed planted early in the series who will bear some very interesting fruit in later books.

He has said that he'll be back in later books so he's definitely not through with him (him or Hot Pie!).

Third, he's a smith. themselves in Harrenhal.

Most likely so. I hope to see Ser Gendry again in the next books. Wouldn't it be nice if the swords that were forged out of Ice came together again (Oathkeeper and Widows Wail) and Gendry re-forged them to a new Ice?

Archived