Gendry?

The_Maltese_Wolf

Just what Gendry tells Ned: died when Gendry was little, yellow hair, she used to sing to him, she worked in an alehouse.

Hmm ok conspiracy theory cap - on.

Ok so Gendry was obviously too young to remember his mother properly but of that info that he has of his mother, which could be easily changed and which is a little harder to manipulate?

• Died when he was little - cannot be taken as truth because obviously Gendry cant know whether his mother is truly dead or not as a child.
  • Worked in an alehouse - can easily be invented to hide the truth.

Things harder to manipulate -

• She used to sing to him - Any woman can sing to her child, but the most intriguing is...
  • Yellow Hair - You cant cheat your genes (see Joffrey) so if Gendry was told that his mother had black hair and over time his hair lightened out (which is possible) then he'd know it wasnt true.

Ok so considering Im in conspiracy theory mode, think about this - what are the odds that Gendry is the child of Robert and CERSEI (yes, u read right) and not a common yellow haired girl. This could lead Gendry to indeed be the legitimate son of Robert and the true heir to the crown and would indeed put him right up there as an important piece of the Iron Throne puzzle if the rest of the world were to find out. It would go along with the fact that Cersei sent guards to attack and kill Gendry when he, Arya and Yoren were heading to the Wall - why would she want Gendry killed if he is only a bastard son and has no legitimate right to the throne? The only thing that might not click is why Robert wouldnt want to have his legitimate son around - Cersei I could understand as she loves Jaime but how could she manage to get Robert to abandon his true born first son?

I know its sounds crazy and is probably just a ridiculous conspiracy theory but must admit it would make Gendry interesting again if it were to be true. Thoughts?

Gendry will have a role, but it might be disappointingly small.

I had held out hope for him joining forces with Jon at The Wall and we'd have a Ned/Robert-and-their-bastard-sons-duo from the North... *sigh*

Now, I think he's going to be killing someone. Surprisingly. He'll kill someone like Littlefinger or a Frey while they're visiting the tavern. I don't see him in a role where he takes a place at court (and frankly there's still too many players out there anyway). Robert's "next-in-line" is protected by Stannis and Davos. The recognized heir to Robert'ss name and lands had to be saved from Mel's fires, you'll recall. He's still out there somewhere. Gendry may be older and have more right, but he's not recognized by anyone as such and it would need to be proven (Pycelle?).

The closest role I can see Gendry taking now that allows him back into the plot is to perhaps join the Golden Company or Dondarrion's leftovers again.

Cersei certainly hasn't mentioned (nor Jamie!) any previous pregnancies before Joffrey. I would be severely disappointed if suddenly it occurs to them "oh yeah, she WAS pregnant before, wasn't she!?"

It would be like Tywin, though, to fake an infant's death and spirit him away (he WAS the Hand for while there, too). I just can't see WHY. If Cersei and Robert had a legitimate child it would only strengthen their family ties. I've got no reason to think that Lord Tywin is hoping his children produce incestuous offspring.

Gendry's mother is more likely to be hinted at somewhere in a discussion between Ned and Robert if at all. He was definitely protected, though. He was apprenticed and kept in King's Landing for a reason. I don't doubt there's some connection twist that was intended when his character was first dreamed up. I wonder, though, if over the years GRRM has just decided to leave the character behind.

He'll probably just stay on as a background character with the BwB should they come into focus again. Another use for him is someone legitimizing him and using him as a catspaw to gain influence in the stormlands, which are essentially headless since Cersei in her infinite wisdom so effectively estranged her children from their Baratheon heritage, though the better candidate fo that would have to be Edric Storm. If Stannis legitimized any of them he would effecitvely negate his own claim.*

Cersei was killng any of Robert's bastards she could get her hands on because of their similarity to Robert that her children lacked. She DID get pregnent to Robert once but got rid of it by means of tansy tea.

EDIT:* come to think of it he might have gotten a better response to his call to arms if he had done so in the first place, but then we are talkin about Stannis here.

My initial impulse is to say he, like his father, will kill a Targaryen.

I can see Gendry joining or infiltrating the Golden Company... then in a moment paralleling his father's on The Trident-- either in a great battle or just simply as a plot movement-- he kills the Targaryen claiming the Iron Throne. Obviously, my inclination is to think it would be Aegon. It could be Dany, though. Heck, it might even be you-know-who if he's even in the next book(s).

It would be like Tyrion to recognize the Baratheon bastard... how about the Second Sons hitting Westeros from the East (thanks, Victarion!) and the Golden Company from the West... battle at the Trident!?

:smug:

Damn seems like there isn't much expectation for greatness from poor Gendry :frown5:

He's not overly bright, or especially devious, or anything really.

He's just too ordinary to amount to much, imo.

Some people like him with Arya, but I don't think he's clever enough for her.

As for ruling Westeros, well...I could never see that. He'd last ten minutes!

Ok so Gendry was obviously too young to remember his mother properly but of that info that he has of his mother, which could be easily changed and which is a little harder to manipulate?

• Died when he was little - cannot be taken as truth because obviously Gendry cant know whether his mother is truly dead or not as a child.

• She used to sing to him - Any woman can sing to her child, but the most intriguing is...
  • Yellow Hair - You cant cheat your genes (see Joffrey) so if Gendry was told that his mother had black hair and over time his hair lightened out (which is possible) then he'd know it wasnt true.

Ok so considering Im in conspiracy theory mode, think about this - what are the odds that Gendry is the child of Robert and CERSEI (yes, u read right) and not a common yellow haired girl. This could lead Gendry to indeed be the legitimate son of Robert and the true heir to the crown and would indeed put him right up there as an important piece of the Iron Throne puzzle if the rest of the world were to find out. It would go along with the fact that Cersei sent guards to attack and kill Gendry when he, Arya and Yoren were heading to the Wall - why would she want Gendry killed if he is only a bastard son and has no legitimate right to the throne? The only thing that might not click is why Robert wouldnt want to have his legitimate son around - Cersei I could understand as she loves Jaime but how could she manage to get Robert to abandon his true born first son?

I know its sounds crazy and is probably just a ridiculous conspiracy theory but must admit it would make Gendry interesting again if it were to be true. Thoughts?

May the 7 save us all, this is genius!!

It's revealed very early on in the series that Cersei was pregnant with Robert's baby back in the day but the baby dies. She tells this to Catelyn, while visiting her in Bran's room in Winterfell.

What you're saying is that Gendry is that child and he never died. I'm assuming Robert had no idea the baby survived. I also vaguely remember Cersei mentioning in one of the books that Robert was never there for the birth of his children, yet Jaime always was. This leads me to believe that if Cersei is crazy enough to do something like you're suggesting, then Robert would've never known.

May the 7 save us all, this is genius!!

It's revealed very early on in the series that Cersei was pregnant with Robert's baby back in the day but the baby dies. She tells this to Catelyn, while visiting her in Bran's room in Winterfell.

That's only in the show.

As someone else already mentioned: she wanted the kids dead because they were a threat to her own children.

I've only read the books once (and pretty quickly-- this forum has opened my eyes to a lot of plot I missed), but I don't recall Cersei ever mentioning a lost child. Nor any child through Robert (though there is plenty of evidence he slept with her).

It's possible... but Cersei is, if nothing else, a devoted mother. She may not give a hoot about OTHER children, but she's been downright obnoxious in her love and care for the children she has. Is it because SHE thought she lost a child? Well, I'd think GRRM would make that known somewhere somehow. If he told the show producers and not us... ohh... he'd be in for it, it is KNOWN!

She tells Ned that Robert got her pregnant once but she got rid of it when he confronts her about her children in AGoT. I don't see any reason for her to lie about that either during that conversation. Another thing is, she can't hide a pregnancy. Everyone would have known about it, and she didn't carry a baby to term until Joffrey.

Well, if Stannis wins the Iron Throne, and considering how Shireen is not a adequate heir at all, i can see Gendry being legitimated and even marrying her (there is no taboo against cousing marriage in Westeros right?) and then rising to be king.

She tells Ned that Robert got her pregnant once but she got rid of it when he confronts her about her children in AGoT. I don't see any reason for her to lie about that either during that conversation. Another thing is, she can't hide a pregnancy. Everyone would have known about it, and she didn't carry a baby to term until Joffrey.

Also, in the HBO Series AGoT ep.2; Cersei visits Catelyn whose sitting by Bran's side and attempts to console her, telling her that her first child, a beautiful, black-haired boy, died because of a fever. She and Robert grieved for their loss.

Also, in the HBO Series AGoT ep.2; Cersei visits Catelyn whose sitting by Bran's side and attempts to console her, telling her that her first child, a beautiful, black-haired boy, died because of a fever. She and Robert grieved for their loss.

The HBO series has no relevance at all to the books; they have added and taken away stuff. I have watched it and they are trying to make Cersei much more likable in the series than GRRM did in the books, which I prefer. I think he wrote her way too irrationally. In the books, a pregnancy carried to term before Joffrey has never been mentioned and since she aborted the child she did conceive from him is a good sign that it doesn't exist. GRRM coming back with I hid my pregnancy, I thought birthing his legitimate heir and disposing of him, or whatever is just going to look foolish.

Last I checked, Edric Storm who actually did have a noble mother is still alive and well liked by Stannis. If any of Robert's bastards is going to get the stamp of legitimacy, it is going to be him not Gendry.

Last I checked, Edric Storm who actually did have a noble mother is still alive and well liked by Stannis. If any of Robert's bastards is going to get the stamp of legitimacy, it is going to be him not Gendry.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself... liked?! didn't Stannis plan to burn the poor boy once? Well, even if with Stannis one never knows. He claims he liked Renly and we have seen how it ended.

I think we will see Gendry again and his attraction to Arya will grow even stronger when she matures at least a little, but I think that he will never have her, no more than his father had Lyanna. Arya is way out of his league and not just because of her noble birth.

As long as Stannis lives there's a chance for him to have a son. Selyse would have to die too though. I've read that Mel said that she saw Stannis on the Iron Throne. I don't know when she said that but I don't feel like looking it up. If she did it could be either as king or hand. I think her shadow babies are wasting him away though. The point is that he might survive.

Anyways, it's really not in his interest or anyone else's to legitimize Robert's children.

Wow, it doesn't actually sound all that crazy, considering the Cersei-had-a-baby-with-Robert thing from the show that definitely wasn't in the book. Maybe they wanted to add in more clues so it wouldn't look that far-fetched in the 7th season where Gendry becomes king :uhoh: ? (or they could have just wanted to make the laical audience think that Jon Snow is Cersei and Robert's)

Archived