A Thread for Small Questions for ADWD III

Xray the Enforcer

In regards to Davos's quest for Rickon. When (and I am assuming he will get Rickon otherwise it will be a massive waste of pages for it to not move the plot forward) he finds him and takes him back to Mandlery and/or Stannis, how can Davos show himself as being alive? Or do you think Manderly will have already played his loyal to Stannis move prior?

AND, does anyone else remember Wex from the previous books? I don't have any books handy, references please.

Wex was the mute squire that Balon Greyjoy gave Theon when he returned to the iron islands, don't see much of him, but he was with Theon when he meets Asha/Esgrid, and he took him with him to Winterfell.

AND, does anyone else remember Wex from the previous books? I don't have any books handy, references please.

He's mentioned in Clash of Kings, he's the natural son of Tristifer Botley's uncle (the half-brother of Lord Botley). I think he's mentioned in several Theon chapters, definitely Theon II where he is introduced.

1. I've seen in the forums that Aerys and Tywin were childhood friends, where in the text was this mentioned?

2. At what perticular point do we see this 'hooded man' in Winterfell that everyone thinks is Blackfish/Glover/Umber/Benjen?

3. What did Morquoo(spell?) exactly do to Victorian's hand? Did he just burn it? If so why is the hand stronger than it ever was before?

1. I've seen in the forums that Aerys and Tywin were childhood friends, where in the text was this mentioned?

2. At what perticular point do we see this 'hooded man' in Winterfell that everyone thinks is Blackfish/Glover/Umber/Benjen?

3. What did Morquoo(spell?) exactly do to Victorian's hand? Did he just burn it? If so why is the hand stronger than it ever was before?

re: 1, I don't recall.

re: 3, i think the obvious answer is blood/fire magic, but it hasn't been spelled out one way or t'other, yet

re:2, the hooded man makes his appearance in one of Theon's chapters in ADwD, can't remember exactly which one (Ghost in Winterfell?)...at some point he flees the great hall and almost collides with the hooded man shortly thereafter in the yard... definitely one of the more mysterious parts of the book...actually, my favourite part, to be honest, i'm really looking forward to finding out who it was (assuming we will find out, that is).

I don't recall anything about them being childhood friends, but I believe all information concerning Tywin's relationship with Aerys is in Barristan's chapters in ADwD (and some in Jaime's chapters in AFFC, from his aunt?)

I thought it was agreed that the hooded man is...

Theon.

Either actually acting as Theon, and therefore outside the POV and possibly even the memory of 'Reek'-Theon, or only as a reflection caught in glass panes (from the glass gardens).

But I never really paid attention, even in discussion.

Hopefully this is a small question!

I've noticed a lot of people mentioning the fact that GRRM abandoned the idea of a five year time jump and it was because he felt that he kept having to explain why x, y, and z happened so he decided just go ahead and write what would have occurred during the jump.

So my question is are we still expecting to get a time jump at some point? Is it supposed to happen in the seventh book? From what I've read regarding the spoilers for TWoW it takes place during and right after the events of ADWD so it doesn't seem like we're going to get much of a jump in that book.

I'm also concerned that if we do get a time jump that happens with the seventh book that one book won't be enough to show how changed the characters are if they do end up being aged five years.

I'm nervous about how a time jump would be handled but the idea of not seeing an adult version of Sansa or a more mature versions of Arya makes me sad. (Not to mention I want to know how a host of other youngsters are going to turn out--Bran, Edric Storm, Shireen, Myrcella, Tommen, etc.)

Hopefully this is a small question!

I've noticed a lot of people mentioning the fact that GRRM abandoned the idea of a five year time jump and it was because he felt that he kept having to explain why x, y, and z happened so he decided just go ahead and write what would have occurred during the jump.

So my question is are we still expecting to get a time jump at some point? Is it supposed to happen in the seventh book? From what I've read regarding the spoilers for TWoW it takes place during and right after the events of ADWD so it doesn't seem like we're going to get much of a jump in that book.

I'm also concerned that if we do get a time jump that happens with the seventh book that one book won't be enough to show how changed the characters are if they do end up being aged five years.

I'm nervous about how a time jump would be handled but the idea of not seeing an adult version of Sansa or a more mature versions of Arya makes me sad. (Not to mention I want to know how a host of other youngsters are going to turn out--Bran, Edric Storm, Shireen, Myrcella, Tommen, etc.)

I've never read anything official on the subject, but it always seemed clear to me that some kind of time jump would be necessary. I believe it shall take place when the real war(s) happens , either by mid Book 6, or beggining of book 7. Because it just doesn't make much sense to see the kids one last time when they are all so young. Of course, it could take the form of an epilogue in Book 7 telling us how things were going after a few years. Such an epilogue will certianly exist, I just wonder if there will be a time jump besides that one.

GRRM abandoned the idea of a five year time jump

[...]

So my question is are we still expecting to get a time jump at some point?

The timejump that was originally planned was abandoned completely. We don't know whether a different one will be introduced in the future, but that there once was one planned is no further reason to think that it would because it would just be a different jump.

Of course, a fast-forward at the end (e.g. in an epiloge) to bring a closed ending is a fairly common technique, so if you really want to see Sansa's grandchildren being born and Bran's little Hodorbabies grown up, it's at least a possibility.

Thanks for the replies. Doesn't the fact that he had one planned make it seem like he has a clear idea of where a lot of these characters will be in the five years after the period of ADWD? This makes me feel like all of the remaining Starks and Lannisters are safe until at least the seventh book.

It's not so much that I want to know how many babies Sansa is going to have or who is going to hook up with whom but more like what their state of mind/personality will be like once they reach adulthood. After all of the hard stuff that she's had to deal with is Sansa going to end up being more of a Cersei or more of an Alyssanne? (Yes, I'm convinced she'll become Queen consort.) Will Arya ever have an identity apart from being a serial killer with an elephant's memory for slights or will maturity eventually mellow her out a bit? Will Myrcella's disfigurement put her on the path to being more like her mother or will she still essentially be kind hearted?, etc.

ETA:

I read the Citadel link re: the time jump and that just makes me wish that he'd change the ages of the characters for the new editions of the books. Give all of the young characters a two year age jump like how they did with the series.

Thanks for the replies. Doesn't the fact that he had one planned make it seem like he has a clear idea of where a lot of these characters will be in the five years after the period of ADWD? This makes me feel like all of the remaining Starks and Lannisters are safe until at least the seventh book.

I think we're already well past the events that would have been relegated to the five-year gap, and are now back on track to the main story. So I wouldn't go thinking that any of the characters are safe at this point.

I think we're already well past the events that would have been relegated to the five-year gap, and are now back on track to the main story. So I wouldn't go thinking that any of the characters are safe at this point.

Yes. I thought it was supposed to be right after the major events of "The War Of Five Kings". To give the Stark kids time to grow before progressing with the story, we're already essentially "after the jump" so it's done.

I read the Citadel link re: the time jump and that just makes me wish that he'd change the ages of the characters for the new editions of the books. Give all of the young characters a two year age jump like how they did with the series.

According to GRRM in his authors@google Q & A, one of the main reasons for "up-aging" the characters was to allow for Danerys sexuality. He mentioned how the medieval definitions of adulthood were different (basically starting with sexual maturity) and there was little notion of "adolescence" in those times. However, a 13 year old Dany having sex with Drogo would be unacceptable by modern tv audiences (at best) and illegal (at worst--see UK programming decency guidelines--even if he has a consenting adult play an underage Dany, simply portraying the act in the UK is illegal). This is how he ended up with a 20 year old actress portraying a 17 year old Dany... consequently he had to "up-age" the other children in the story. He described this as a "butterfly effect" and we will probably see more as the series continues.

In reading the series, I often assign older ages to the children based on their wisdom/accomplishments, so I definitely benefit from a certain suspension of disbelief when reading the story (i.e. a 16/17 year old Lord Commander of the NW) and it rarely gives me any trouble at all.

I have a question: is it revealed at any moment if Podrick and Ser Hyle survived? I mean, I assume Brienne decided to bring Jaime to Lady Stoneheart to save Pod's neck, but is there any reference to Ser Hyle in all this?

Nope, last we heard was all three were guests of honor at a necktie party, then BOOM cut to Brienne coming to fetch Jaime.

Archived