Sandor Clegane v. 9

Okay, so over in this thread, there was a post I found potentially interesting, and I'll explain why.

Post #55

It interested me because it made me think of the story, Jane Eyre, where a pious young lady who has suffered much falls in love with a brooding type guy, and series of events bring them apart, but back together again. When they come back together, her love is blind, but they still have a happy ending - marriage, a child, etc.

Thoughts?

I actually had that thought (though not in relation to the blind dog at the Fingers), the Sansa/Sandor relationship certainly has its Jane Eyre moments. In the book Rochester repeatedly harps on his unhansomeness (is that an actual word?), and described as a powerfully built, swarthy Vulcan (not the Stark Trek kind, obviously) to her other love interests blonde, handsome Apollo. That point doesn't really come through in the recent adaptations, where Rochester is portrayed by some very handsome (and talented) actors: Toby Stephens and Michael Fassbender, both of whom, incidentally, are redheads (redheads with very blue eyes makes my knees wobbly). Inaccurate, but I'm not really complaining - I like my man-candy.

Anyway, I've in the middle of my first re-read of the series and have been lurking here for a while. Thought it was time to declare my affection for the most compelling character of Westeros: Sandor Clegane - and his little bird (Sansa i probably my favorite character and her chapters are always very well written, with a lot of subtle undercurrents that needs a re-read or two).

*AWWWW* :wub:

Well I kind of liked the High Sparrow, so I'm not complaining. Elder Brother has yet to prove himself. We had a theory that he'd join Sandor on the journey to the Vale since its not far from Quiet Isle.

WDY like the High Sparrow? Just curious, not on the attack.

If he's a good influence like I hope he is, then I could see this! Septon Meribald can stay on the QI and be in charge - don't throw too many keggers now, Brother Meribald! ;]

Yes! That's a good point! I wouldn't put it past the man, and it seems like most characters are currently in a situation/place they need to break free of. Why wouldn't it be the same for Sandor?

It very well could be. I'm kind of dying to know whether the whole QI situation is malicious or benevolent. 0_0

It seems like a lot of characters are hidden, which means that they either need to come out of hiding, or be found:

Examples:

--Sandor

--Rickon

--Sansa

--Arya, in a way, though it was of her choosing.

The War of the Roses really makes sense, and I got that vibe reading the novels.

Also...hehe

Lannister......oddly similar to Lancaster

York........short and ending in K, like Stark

;)

When I first read A Game of Thrones I found a lot of similarities to Sharon K. Penman's wonderful Sunne in Splendour - a historical novel about the Wars of the Roses and a sympathetic and heartbreakingly tragic portrayal of Richard III. Fx Cersei is pretty much an amalgam of the nastiest aspects of the red and the white queen: Margaret of Anjou and Elizabeth Woodville.

WDY like the High Sparrow? Just curious, not on the attack.

If he's a good influence like I hope he is, then I could see this! Septon Meribald can stay on the QI and be in charge - don't throw too many keggers now, Brother Meribald! ;]

It very well could be. I'm kind of dying to know whether the whole QI situation is malicious or benevolent. 0_0

It seems like a lot of characters are hidden, which means that they either need to come out of hiding, or be found:

Examples:

--Sandor

--Rickon

--Sansa

--Arya, in a way, though it was of her choosing.

I liked him for finally being the one to put Cersei in her place. Someone had to do it, and he stepped up. :lol:

I think there is a reason so many characters are missing, and I feel because that they will all play important roles in the development and conclusion of each other's story. Sansa, Rickon, and Arya are almost a given since they are siblings and Starks. Sandor will have something to do with Sansa's story, that is also expected. Its just the "how" and "when" that needs to be explained. ;)

I actually had that thought (though not in relation to the blind dog at the Fingers), the Sansa/Sandor relationship certainly has its Jane Eyre moments. In the book Rochester repeatedly harps on his unhansomeness (is that an actual word?), and described as a powerfully built, swarthy Vulcan (not the Stark Trek kind, obviously) to her other love interests blonde, handsome Apollo. That point doesn't really come through in the recent adaptations, where Rochester is portrayed by some very handsome (and talented) actors: Toby Stephens and Michael Fassbender, both of whom, incidentally, are redheads (redheads with very blue eyes makes my knees wobbly). Inaccurate, but I'm not really complaining - I like my man-candy.

Anyway, I've in the middle of my first re-read of the series and have been lurking here for a while. Thought it was time to declare my affection for the most compelling character of Westeros: Sandor Clegane - and his little bird (Sansa i probably my favorite character and her chapters are always very well written, with a lot of subtle undercurrents that needs a re-read or two).

Welcome Trinuviel! We welcome your declaration and your presence. :)

Redheads *swoons*

Definitely. All this really popped up more to me because I just watched that newest rendition of Jane Eyre.

When I first read A Game of Thrones I found a lot of similarities to Sharon K. Penman's wonderful Sunne in Splendour - a historical novel about the Wars of the Roses and a sympathetic and heartbreakingly tragic portrayal of Richard III. Fx Cersei is pretty much an amalgam of the nastiest aspects of the red and the white queen: Margaret of Anjou and Elizabeth Woodville.

Somehow I haven't read it, though I have heard of it. I can tell you I've read almost every Tudor book in existence, though :lol:

But going off my experience, Cersei does oddly resemble the queens. PARTICULARLY Elizabeth Woodville. Especially her.

I liked him for finally being the one to put Cersei in her place. Someone had to do it, and he stepped up. :lol:

I think there is a reason so many characters are missing, and I feel because that they will all play important roles in the development and conclusion of each other's story. Sansa, Rickon, and Arya are almost a given since they are siblings and Starks. Sandor will have something to do with Sansa's story, that is also expected. Its just the "how" and "when" that needs to be explained. ;)

Oh, well I like him for that, definitely, hehe.

But I think why I didn't like him is I was worried about the potential religious conflict subplot and I just really don't care for that subplot, dont' want it to become a big deal but it probably will, and gahhhh!

Theories as to how and why?

I have a crackpot theory that Davos, after rescuing Rickon, is going to be sailing back when a storm convenient plot device) blows them onto the shores of the Vale. :D

Oh, well I like him for that, definitely, hehe.

But I think why I didn't like him is I was worried about the potential religious conflict subplot and I just really don't care for that subplot, dont' want it to become a big deal but it probably will, and gahhhh!

Theories as to how and why?

I have a crackpot theory that Davos, after rescuing Rickon, is going to be sailing back when a storm convenient plot device) blows them onto the shores of the Vale. :D

CRACKPOT ALERT!!!

Let's expand on this further, shall we? ;)

Welcome Trinuviel! We welcome your declaration and your presence. :)

Redheads *swoons*

Definitely. All this really popped up more to me because I just watched that newest rendition of Jane Eyre.

Somehow I haven't read it, though I have heard of it. I can tell you I've read almost every Tudor book in existence, though :lol:

But going off my experience, Cersei does oddly resemble the queens. PARTICULARLY Elizabeth Woodville. Especially her.

Thanks for the welcome - I really like the warm tone of this thread.

And I recommend anything written by Penman. She has also written a wonderful series of the Plantagenets: When Christs and Saints Slept (about the war between Stephen and Matilda), Time and Chance (about Henry II and my personal favorite, Eleanor of Aquitane), Devil's Brood (about their children -haven't read it yet) and her latest one: Lionheart (about Richard the Lionhearted). Her trilogy about the Welsh princes is also wonderful.

Elizabeth Chadwick has written two good novels about William Marshal and his wife: The Greatest Knight and The Scarlet Lion. They are lighter and more romantic than Penman's novels, which if memory serves me right, have been a direct inspiration for Martin's series.

I would also recommend

Thanks for the welcome - I really like the warm tone of this thread.

And I recommend anything written by Penman. She has also written a wonderful series of the Plantagenets: When Christs and Saints Slept (about the war between Stephen and Matilda), Time and Chance (about Henry II and my personal favorite, Eleanor of Aquitane), Devil's Brood (about their children -haven't read it yet) and her latest one: Lionheart (about Richard the Lionhearted). Her trilogy about the Welsh princes is also wonderful.

Elizabeth Chadwick has written two good novels about William Marshal and his wife: The Greatest Knight and The Scarlet Lion. They are lighter and more romantic than Penman's novels, which if memory serves me right, have been a direct inspiration for Martin's series.

I would also recommend

the last part of my post was eaten!

I also recommend Elizabeth Chadwicks two novels about William Marshal and his lady Isabel de Clare: The Greatest Knight and The Scarlet Lion. They are lighter and more romantic than Penman's work, which if memory serves me right, has been a direct inspiration for Martin's series.

If you haven't read it already I'll heartily recommend Rosalind Miles' I, Elizabeth. It is extremely well written and quite accurate historically.

CRACKPOT ALERT!!!

Let's expand on this further, shall we? ;)

OKAY!

So, our fearless, indestructible Davos rescues Rickon, Shaggydog, and Osha from the cannibal-filled island of Skagos (there might be cannibals, but it's probably not the best place to foster a child). They are sailing along when a storm brews. It causes them to go off course, whereupon they land on shores of lands in the Vale. The ever-wise Onion Knight decides that they will go on foot (the ship is wrecked, they have no other choice). They keep off the road as much as possible. They near a town!

Figuring a direwolf, a fierce little boy, and a wildling woman would be tough to explain, Davos commands them to wait in the woods while he goes into town to try and hear if there's any important news afoot.

He either:

A) Hears that Stannis is dead, and decides "Well can't take him there, to the Vale Lord it is!"

or

B. Sansa Stark is alive, and in the Vale! And decides "Huzzah! I shall bring him to his sister!"

And then he does. Ooh.

They make their way to the Gates of The Moon, where I'm assuming the Vale people are wintering for the long haul, and either:

A) They make it there, Sansa and Rickon are reunited, LF is delighted and it's all good. (cough)

B. They make it there, Sansa and Rickon are reuninted, LF is not amused, and plans that Rickon has to go, like Sweetrobin. OH NOES! Princes in the Tower PT 2, y'all!

C) They make it there, but someone, anybody warns Davos --- not a good plan, man --- and he sneaks Rickon in, keeps him safe, and they settle in for the winter. Making a clandestine meeting with Sansa somehow, and reuniting them without LF knowing.

OKAY!

So, our fearless, indestructible Davos rescues Rickon, Shaggydog, and Osha from the cannibal-filled island of Skagos (there might be cannibals, but it's probably not the best place to foster a child). They are sailing along when a storm brews. It causes them to go off course, whereupon they land on shores of lands in the Vale. The ever-wise Onion Knight decides that they will go on foot (the ship is wrecked, they have no other choice). They keep off the road as much as possible. They near a town!

Figuring a direwolf, a fierce little boy, and a wildling woman would be tough to explain, Davos commands them to wait in the woods while he goes into town to try and hear if there's any important news afoot.

He either:

A) Hears that Stannis is dead, and decides "Well can't take him there, to the Vale Lord it is!"

or

B. Sansa Stark is alive, and in the Vale! And decides "Huzzah! I shall bring him to his sister!"

And then he does. Ooh.

They make their way to the Gates of The Moon, where I'm assuming the Vale people are wintering for the long haul, and either:

A) They make it there, Sansa and Rickon are reunited, LF is delighted and it's all good. (cough)

B. They make it there, Sansa and Rickon are reuninted, LF is not amused, and plans that Rickon has to go, like Sweetrobin. OH NOES! Princes in the Tower PT 2, y'all!

C) They make it there, but someone, anybody warns Davos --- not a good plan, man --- and he sneaks Rickon in, keeps him safe, and they settle in for the winter. Making a clandestine meeting with Sansa somehow, and reuniting them without LF knowing.

Great ideas but that probably comes under the stuff the Mod warning is about!!! (Sorry to be a speculation kill joy).

Great ideas but that probably comes under the stuff the Mod warning is about!!! (Sorry to be a speculation kill joy).

How so? We're not fangirling it up, we're just speculating ways to get Rickon to the Vale and with Sansa. By the way, did they have some sort of ceremony for Lysa's death yet? That could be a great way to get people there, you know to pay their respects. Someone's bound to recognize Alayne Stone for who she really is. Plus, her hair dye is running out lol.

How so? We're not fangirling it up, we're just speculating ways to get Rickon to the Vale and with Sansa. By the way, did they have some sort of ceremony for Lysa's death yet? That could be a great way to get people there, you know to pay their respects. Someone's bound to recognize Alayne Stone for who she really is. Plus, her hair dye is running out lol.

I think the Mod warning basically said it there is no textual evidence for something, then it is the dreaded FF. Although wild speculation can happen (see crackpot theories), it seems to be frowned upon in this thread.

Edit: I could also be hypersensitive and mistaken though!!! Sorry. :blushing: I just don't want the thread deleted. :blushing:

Really, it's like almost every other thread on here. Theorizing for the future books.

--

Not that I recall. Though how many people that would draw, one can't be sure. Maybe the Blackfish, but do we want him there? I'm undecided, and it doesn't seem incognito enough for him since he's supposed to be on the run.

Her dye is running out (!) Well, crap, what's she going to do then?

I think the Mod warning basically said it there is no textual evidence for something, then it is the dreaded FF. Although wild speculation can happen (see crackpot theories), it seems to be frowned upon in this thread.

Yikes, that's sorta mean.

Really, it's like almost every other thread on here. Theorizing for the future books.

--

Not that I recall. Though how many people that would draw, one can't be sure. Maybe the Blackfish, but do we want him there? I'm undecided, and it doesn't seem incognito enough for him since he's supposed to be on the run.

Her dye is running out (!) Well, crap, what's she going to do then?

The Blackfish could be a potential ally for Sansa in getting her away from Littlefinger, provided he recognizes her.

That's what's so scary, the poor girl is wanted for Joffrey's murder, right??

Archived