Small Questions XIII

Angalin

Is there any evidence that the story of the Rat Cook is meant to be taken literally?

It looked more like folklore to me. Like a Grim Reaper or generic boogeyman tale.

Maybe it is a reference to what may have happened to the missing Freys & their horses and the large meat pies brought by Manderly to Winterfell

Marie

So the legend still survives that there are "Rhaegar's rubies" floating around in the Trident somewhere Arya and her butcher boy Mycah went looking for them on that fateful day around Darry Castle -- it's in GOT. This legend might even be true, as one or two rubies washed up on the Quiet Isle in AFFC.

Six I believe. The septon on the Quiet Isle was waiting for the 7th. Not sure if that was a religious reference or if there were only 7

Marie

Marie

Ok I have been out of it for several weeks so sorry if this has been addressed:

1) Hodor refused to go into the crypts (GoT) then Hodor was grinning happily in the crypts when hiding from Theon and Ramsay (CoK)

2) The red priests seem so much more capable than Melisandre. She seems well meaning but manages to screw up while the others seem to know what they are doing, especially the one with Victarion in aDwD. Is she just inept?

3) I presume Osha and Rickon and Shaggy went to Skagos bc of the reference to Cannibals - however ppl are saying this as if it is certain? Did I miss something?

4) Anyone see any way for Dany's baby (Rhaegon?) to re-enter the action? We only have Mirri's word that he is dead and she is barren. Hard to imagine where he would have gotten to, unnoticed, but Dany may still be able to reproduce.

TIA

Marie

Ok I have been out of it for several weeks so sorry if this has been addressed:

1) Hodor refused to go into the crypts (GoT) then Hodor was grinning happily in the crypts when hiding from Theon and Ramsay (CoK)

2) The red priests seem so much more capable than Melisandre. She seems well meaning but manages to screw up while the others seem to know what they are doing, especially the one with Victarion in aDwD. Is she just inept?

3) I presume Osha and Rickon and Shaggy went to Skagos bc of the reference to Cannibals - however ppl are saying this as if it is certain? Did I miss something?

4) Anyone see any way for Dany's baby (Rhaegon?) to re-enter the action? We only have Mirri's word that he is dead and she is barren. Hard to imagine where he would have gotten to, unnoticed, but Dany may still be able to reproduce.

TIA

Marie

1) I think Hodor was only scared to go into the crypts at that particular time...I may have read that in a SSM, I'll check when I have time

2) Mel sees what she wants to see, then helps that along

3) Another reference was Jon had a dream (?) that Shaggydog had a fight with a one horned goat (?) and there may be unicorns on Skagos

4) Some speculate he is in Drogon, but some say the same of Drogo.

ETA http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1012/ for # 1 Hodor

and some others say that Dany suffered a miscarriage during her last POV in ADWD instead of the pale mare or some other illness...

Maybe it's a matter of proficiency. Moqorro specializes in prophecy and Melisandre's specialty is in offensive magic.

Does anyone know what kind of horse a stot is? It is listed as one of the kinds available in a former RPG product, from what I learned. And it is the kind of horse that Podrick Payne uses in one of the books, as well as Reek in another. It doesn't seem to be a particularly capable kind of horse (Pod's is also described as a rounsey).

Hi, I hope this question belongs to small questions (as it is not about the plot itself).

Was there an earlier work (a novella, short story or perhaps a TV show) by GRRM which has these plots: a woman ploting and killing to become Queen Regent, replacing the Council, scheming, going mad, going naked trough the city shamed; the second - a man scheming to be the ruler of the land by throwing his wife (a wife he never loved, but another woman) from a height and trying to kill her sick child.

Why am I asking this? I am 100% sure I haven't read any of the books before (one doesn't forget a 1k page volume so easily, I'm not that old), and yet these 2 plots from books sound very very familiar. There are two options - GRRM had these stories somewhat changed and shortened and published them before or I'm having a deja-read.

Thanks.

Hi, I hope this question belongs to small questions (as it is not about the plot itself).

Was there an earlier work (a novella, short story or perhaps a TV show) by GRRM which has these plots: a woman ploting and killing to become Queen Regent, replacing the Council, scheming, going mad, going naked trough the city shamed; the second - a man scheming to be the ruler of the land by throwing his wife (a wife he never loved, but another woman) from a height and trying to kill her sick child.

Why am I asking this? I am 100% sure I haven't read any of the books before (one doesn't forget a 1k page volume so easily, I'm not that old), and yet these 2 plots from books sound very very familiar. There are two options - GRRM had these stories somewhat changed and shortened and published them before or I'm having a deja-read.

Thanks.

Definitely deja vu

Melisandre? Well-meaning?

What did I miss?

I think she really thinks she is doing the right things and has the right goals. When she delivers he half baked prophecies she really thinks she is helping. The few times we hear inside her head it seems that way. She also manages to justify everything she does or wants to do. I am not her fan but she seems sincere, but dangerously misguided and foolish and prone to try to make things fit her world view.

Marie

I think she really thinks she is doing the right things and has the right goals. When she delivers he half baked prophecies she really thinks she is helping. The few times we hear inside her head it seems that way. She also manages to justify everything she does or wants to do. I am not her fan but she seems sincere, but dangerously misguided and foolish and prone to try to make things fit her world view.

Marie

You are WAY more generous towards evil people than I see fit to be, I'm afraid.

Was the stag on the Baratheon sigil crowned when Robert took the throne or was it before that? Memory lapse, sorry. :dunno:

When Robert took the throne. Not before.

why did Ilyrio sent Barristan to Dany and Tyrion to Eagon ?

Did he? Did Barristan say Illyrio sent him? Or did he just find his way there himself, wanting to srve the 'rightful heir' to make up for his serving Robert all those years?

Archived