Although I hesitate to say "overrated," 2011 releases that aren't year's-best quality to me

Larry.

For what it's worth, I did get around to listing the books that I am considering for my Best of 2011 overall list. 50 books (plus 3 I might finish before year's end that could make it) are listed.

I am glad I at least recognize some of the titles. A few of them are even on my tentative 'to read' list.

Did Kate Beaton put out a collection or is it only her web-presence? I've never been that impressed with her work, although there are some good moments.

And there was much rejoicing as a ten year reprieve was granted. We can now ignore cyberpunk while we also ignore the new wave!

Aldiss was new wave (or rather, his work was retconned into it). Bester was considered an antecedent. I also think you're reading too much into an off-the-cuff remark designed to highlight the ridiculousness of the original poster's point. I could have added Gibson, Brunner, Zelazny, LeGuin, Butler, Delaney and fifty other authors, but that seemed overegging the statement.

Damn it, stop messing with sweepingly generalized to the point of idiocy statements! Have you no self control?

I'm with you in mocking the original poster, just slightly bemused by a response to "SF in 2011 is DEAD! There has been no SF since ASIMOV!!!!" with "Of course SF in 2011 isn't dead! How absurd is that, considering theres writers like Heinlein!!?"

Also, I must say, this comment was actually written last night under the assumption you would be pedantic enough to point out Aldiss. :thumbsup:

Archived