Who do you want to win the Iron Throne?

Ser Malthred Storm

Even if Jon had a claim, I can't help but wonder if he would prefer Winterfell if the rules of succession were suitably bent- as they would surely have to be for him to claim the Iron Throne? He spent a fair while contemplating Stannis' offer at the end of ASOS and doesn't strike me as a One Ring To Rule Them All kinda guy (pardon my language). Just a gut feel

Stannis is waay too tightly wound to be a decent ruler (would love to be his dentist, I'd be set for life). A calculating strategist, capable of commanding discipline but not a man of the people at all. On the "hereditary claim" score, his case is no more compelling than Dany's- and as the series has repeatedly demonstrated, rules of succession only apply when there aren't enough swords around to say otherwise.

Dany has listened to counsel yet made her own decisions, raised an army, established a realm of sorts and at least demonstrated concern for her people. Although the least "raised among leaders" of the three potential candidates (Viserys and Drogo were hardly role models), she demonstrates the most aptitude for rule and capacity to achieve it; first Queen of the Iron Throne for mine. No doubt Cersei would be pleased for her ;-)

Who do I want to win...? Arya. I think she would be a fair ruler after all she's been through. I think she'd be an active queen, she wouldn't just sit on the throne eating and getting drunk. She'd be out in the battles.

Either that, or I'd like it to be Jon with Arya as his hand.

I hope that somewhere into the series the Iron Throne becomes less important, as the people of Westeros see that none of the rulers seeking to claim it are really worth having, and the focus shifts to protecting what's left of Westeros from the the forces beyond the wall.

I actually wonder whether the Iron Throne will make it till the end of the serie.

The realm is in such a political and religious crisis that I wonder if even Daenerys and her dragons would sufficient to restore some unity into it.

I hope that somewhere into the series the Iron Throne becomes less important, as the people of Westeros see that none of the rulers seeking to claim it are really worth having, and the focus shifts to protecting what's left of Westeros from the the forces beyond the wall.

A reasonable idea, the common folk sure as hell aren't winning in the current arrangement. Jon's experience among the wildlings may yet have an influence on the future direction of the realm- elected leaders? Democracy? I haven't read DwD yet, but perhaps Dany's experiences as queen might give her second thoughts about whether she wants to sustain a monarchy or establish provinces and/or governments.

I think it is very important to have not only a good King but also a good Hand of the King.

Stannis and Ned are too rigid and not suitable to be kings. They are like Robert Baratheon, they are good at fighting but once you are a king it is a completely different game.

Dany, well no offence but she is too inexperienced, bloodthirsty and bit witless. She has good heart but it's not enough...yet.

Jon might be alright with help of Tyrion but being lowborn he would have serious problems convincing other lords he is suitable.

Bronn, just for the lulz, but he has good characteristics.

Renly probably would be one of the most suitable but brother's love stood in their way.

Littlefinger is definetly smart, but betrayal of Ned shows that his ambitions are his prority.

Aegon - we know too little about him, might be he is suitable but definetly very young so help probably of Tyion and Viserys would be advisable (That's why probably they saved Tyrion).

Tyrion - errr, his tongue and height are his biggest problems so unless he learns to control it (and his emotions sometimes) then he is not fit for it.

Maybe Myrcella, we know little about her, but she is described as being very smart for her age so she has potential.

In my opinion King should be someone who listens to others but is able to make decisions on his own and is completely rational. I hope Aegon will be like that. Thou i would take Tyrion, Viserys, Littlefinger (if they can control him),Davos with Jaime and Ser Barristan to command troops.

Low born? He is the son of a Stark, and if what we believe will happen is Part Targaryen. So he is in no way a low born. Jon and Tyrion with Sam as the Grand Maester would be a good future.

Even though I hate your name like kids hate cancer, I agree that they would make the best triumverate. But it's hard to bet against dragons so I'd vote Dany in as th King's Justice in place of Illyn Payne. But still stand by my words, Ramsey must die.

Even though I hate your name like kids hate cancer, I agree that they would make the best triumverate. But it's hard to bet against dragons so I'd vote Dany in as th King's Justice in place of Illyn Payne. But still stand by my words, Ramsey must die.

I still don't understand why so many people are convinced that Jon would leave the Wall based on the fact that he was never Ned's son.

• 1 month later...

Robert conquered ?

I bet the armies from the North and from Casterling Rock were a lot bigger than Robert's Army.

All Robert did, was kill Rhaegar. And from what I've read, Rhaegar was actually a nice bloke.

Usurper. The more books I read, the more I believe that that title is actually pretty accurate. If these books were about the good and evil, I wouldn't be able to tell who is good and who is evil. They all seem bastards to me.

The Baratheons called enough banners to field two contending armies for the iron throne in the war of the 5 kings, seems like Robert could have raised a sizable force.

I am not 100% sure on who I want to rule, but I have a feeling that Dany is going to start showing some of that Targaryen madness, at least I hope so, and I don't think she would make a good ruler of The Seven Kingdoms given that pretty much the entirety of her life has been spent elsewhere.

Jon Snow is a good candidate if R+L=J is true, but there would have to be a good explanation as to why he would leave the wall.

I am also thinking that perhaps Bran or Rickon alongside Myrcella might do the job, depending on how they grow and develop in the coming books.

Perhaps this was already said... but what if there were a Bran/Myrcella union with Jon as Hand? I love Jon, but I don't think he'd want to rule the entire realm. And Bran has always wanted to be a knight.... why not the king?

I may be stretching, but I really want to see a Stark prevail!

• 2 weeks later...

While it would be fun to see him on the Iron Throne, I think Jon is too loyal to the Watch to leave and become King/Hand/Other important position, even with Targaryen blood.

I would like Westeros split, Bran ruling in the North and Tyrion in the South (Which is the long shot of long shots). It would be nice to have Tyrion at least in some position of power.

I think Jon represents both Ice and Fire, so he would fit as King of the Seven Kingdoms.

Dany cannot have any children, I would love to see her on the Iron Throne, but then there would be no change in the realm (back to Targaryen? Really? 7 books for that?) and the dinasty will arrive in a dead end anyway. Plus it is pure Fire, so no balance. I'm also pretty sure that Jon and Dany will end up fighting eachother.

Also, Sansa is in good hands to go up the ladder, she is the Heir of the North, can have a claim on Casterly Rock since she married Tyrion, and she can marry some other great lord to gain even more power. She could be an ultimate alliance between the Kingdoms and bring peace between them. But that seems unlikely...

The Baratheons called enough banners to field two contending armies for the iron throne in the war of the 5 kings, seems like Robert could have raised a sizable force.

Well, you have to keep in mind the war of the five kings occurred AFTER the Baratheons had seized the throne, so naturally the Baratheon name meant a lot more when the war of the 5 kings broke out than it meant when Aerys sat on the throne.

• 2 weeks later...

While it would be fun to see him on the Iron Throne, I think Jon is too loyal to the Watch to leave and become King/Hand/Other important position, even with Targaryen blood.

I would like Westeros split, Bran ruling in the North and Tyrion in the South (Which is the long shot of long shots). It would be nice to have Tyrion at least in some position of power.

I don't see Bran ruling, if he gets the opportunity, I would think that he would pass it to Rickon. But remember, Jon was to be legitimized by Robb, and no word has been heard of his letter to Greywater Watch on either side about it arriving---If it did make it, Jon would be the next heir.

(Not really a spoiler, more of a possible hint)

My opinion of Jon ruling has changed after reading the end of ADwD, but still am not seeing him ruling Westeros.

Archived