The Gravedigging Hound - Complete analysis

Cosmic Maintenance Man

I think it's fairly clear Sandor is still alive on the Quiet Isle.

It's questionable if he will actually return to the story, but I could see two ways that could happen.

1. Someone attempts to recover Rhaegar's rubies from the Quiet Isle. Regardless of who or how, Sandor could easily come into the picture. I imagine if someone attempted to take the rubies by force, Sandor could seriously catch them offguard (you don't expect an isolated group of monks to be able to split skulls in half).

2. Robert Strong is indeed Gregor Clegane, and Sandor decides to find him and destroy him. Although this is a very long shot, perhaps Sandor will end up being the faith's champion at Cersei's trial. The problem with this is that it's questionable if Sandor would leave the Quite Isle so quickly, and if his injury will (or even can) heal.

How long has it been since Brienne was at the quiet isle?

I have a theory that the Elder Brother speaks the truth about Sandor-ie that he has saved him from death and reformed him,but the twist is this...

The Elder Brother,we are told is devout but also,is revealed to be an ex Knight who looks young,strong and more capable of "smashing heads" than mending them.He fought valiantly on the Trident until felled from an unseen blow from behind.

We know that Cersei has elected for trial by combat in her forthcoming trial v the Faith.She is represented by Robert Strong,who is likely Gregor Sandane reanimated by Qyburn.

The Faith need a champion.Lancel,whilst newly devout,is hardly someone you would pin your reputation on in battle.No one else obviously springs to mind,apart from..the Elder Brother.I doubt that he could refuse without calling his own "faith" into question.

As a plot device,it could bring Cersei back into the picture and in a backhanded way,give the Tyrells ongoing claim to the throne via Margery.

This,of course,depends on the Elder Brother losing.

If he loses,whilst somehow revealing Robert's real nature and identity to the grave digging novice who accompanies him,then Sandor has his raison d'etre restored.

Well done to the OP.Nice logical reasoning with evidence.

It took me a long time to search for this post. It seems like everyone is missing your point that the EB will be the champion of the faith. The trial is bound to happen as, A- Cersei has no more real power and B- The new High Septon does not screw around. It's a good way to see what Strong (and Qyburn) is capable of as well as extend the life of the character, give the EB some more meaning, and show Cersei as still a player in the game. Also if evidence or even suspicion that some dead form of the Mountain is not only around but also killed the man that gave him a new life, well than Sandor not only want to come back but it also gives him a good reason to. Especially if Cersei looses RS on Westeros. I'm really loving the idea.

If not I still feel this is a good end for Sandor. He is finally at peace. He deserved something good. Or that burned limb fight with Victarion someone else posted. That'd be awesome from a fanboy standpoint.

Why? Sandor isn't the Hound anymore. He doesn't live for the sake of killing his brother now. He's healing, and part of healing is leaving that obsession behind, why would he be in QI as a novice if it were otherwise? I think it makes perfect sense that he keeps on living without killing Gregor.

I get it from a character standpoint as some catharsis for Sandor as a person, but what's the point for the overall story?

Sorry, I don't exactly know what you mean by that. What's the point of any story, if you think about it.

There's still unfinished business with Sansa, if that's what you mean. If the reason he was alive before was killing his brother (and that seems to be gone now), then his new reason for living can be protecting Sansa. Or, you know, just living, because people don't always need big quests to give meaning to their lives.

• 4 weeks later...

I am sure Sandor is still alive and he will go to save Sansa I think he could kill RS/ Gregor in a fight he had no trouble with him at the hand's tourney. But due to the vision I think Jamie, Sandor and RS will have to met in battle.

• 1 month later...

I wonder if we'll know the answer to all of this before it unfolds in the books... that is, through the TV series :( If Brienne goes to the QI on the show and we see a gravedigger and she has the discussion with the EB, then obviously that is of great significance. If Sandor has some important use later on in the story, then HBO cannot ignore that and will have to hint at his survival. I personally wouldn't want to find out that way.

I wonder what the monks of the isle think of the new High Septon in King's Landing? Or the return of the faith militant?

Most of all, I wonder what they (and Sandor) would think of a re-animated Gregor Clegane wearing their sigil while representing Cersei Lannister?

• 2 weeks later...

Quiet Isle is very close to Claw Isle where there have been rumours of Claw Isle's castle being "reputedly stuffed with Myrish carpets, Volantene glass, gold and silver plate, jeweled cups, magnificent hawks, an axe of Valyrian steel, a horn that can summon monsters from the deep, chests of rubies, and more wines that a man could drink in a 100 years." MORE WINES THAT A MAN COULD DRINK IN A 100 YEARS? That sounds like something Sandor "the Hound" Clegane couldn't refuse. I would love to see Sandor somehow come across this "opportunity" and consult his shoulder angels about what he should do. As a novice, Sandor has attempted to start a new life, but I do not doubt that there will be a challenge, like this, that will test him and his new found morals before the books are done. Best of luck dog.

I hope Sandor is alive as I come to sort of like him in ASOS. I know Stranger will not let anyone touch him/ride him except for Sandor and that is how people knew Sandor in ASOS. The Hound is known by three things : 1) His scarred face 2.) Stranger his horse 3.) His hound helm and he is so infamous in Westeros that people can recognize him by any of these things. I am curious to know if Elder Brother "buried" Sandor where he lied and where Arya left him as Rorge found his helm (and I forget which guy has Gendry's bull helm) to commit crimes and have Sandor be blamed for it. In those statements they do not reference, Stranger as the Hound only seemed to ride that horse and so I would think it odd that people would not see that when Rorge was committing his crime. Back to the point of this post...

Stranger never let anyone ride him/near him except Sandor but he grew accustomed to Arya so much that he allowed her to groom him, give him water, saddle him up and so i am thinking he would allow Arya to ride him as his new owner if Sandor is Dead.. Thoughts??

I think the only safe place for Sandor since he is so well known and very recognizable is to be on the Isle of Faces where things are scared. I was also thinking with him on the Isle he could gain redemption and can be brought forth to defend the Starks/Old Gods if need be.

More Later

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if this point has already been made on this thread, but it occurred to me that every time a major character is reported dead (but we don't actually see them die) they always turn out to be alive. Examples: Bran, Rickon, Davos, Ramsay. There were one or two more I thought of earlier, but it's slipped my mind. (Obviously, side characters like Gyles Rosby can just be reported dead.)

According to that line of reasoning, we should have seen the Hound die. So... my money's on the Quiet Isle.

• 3 weeks later...

I can´t help it, I would love to see the Hound fight the Mountain, but I just don´t see that happen.

On the other hand, what is it with all those fighters that have half their face marked in a way.

Sandor has half the face burned and would possibly fight for Sansa. Brienne has half the face bitten off and would no doubt fight for Jaime, Jorah has half his face tattoed and given the slightest chance would gladly fight for Dany.

That seems to much of a coincidence for me, but so far I just can´t figure it out. Does anyone have an idea on that?

The three heads of the dragon?

I read the books before I ever watched the show. However, with the way The Hound is portrayed in the show, it becomes more apparent that the 'evil' deeds attributed to him are not him. The Hound has never been a bad person. He's been afraid since he was a child thanks to his brother and his main mission in life has been to kill his brother. I feel, at some point, in this series we will get Hound vs Mountain, or Novice vs Robert Strong. Or The Good (The Faith/The HUGE Novice/Hound) vs Evil (Mountain/Robert Strong/Cersei).

It must happen.

As to why Sandor could still be a Novice & focused on murder of his brother:

The Faith is not playing the peaceful game anymore. They have Warriors arming for "God". The Elder on QI may not have taken him if he saw his goal was to kill his own brother in revenge, but having a warrior who wanted to ride the world of a dangerous Zombie to protect innocents in the future....

I think the Faith would be okay with that.

• 1 month later...

Archived