Dunk and Egg TV Movie - Spoiler Free

Zappotack

I'd love to see D&E as full length feature films, especially the Sworn Sword for the Blackfyre flashbacks. However, I'm not really sure you could get a major studio to finance them without wanting to make a lot of changes to the story to increase the marketability.

I think a movie deal through HBO is the best chance.

• 2 weeks later...

A movie for robert's rebellion, an event talked about but not specifically chronicled in the books, i think would only be good as a chance to cast rhaegar targaryen in a movie, which im sure many fangirls (and some fanboys) would like. On a minor tangent, I always kinda imagined rhaegar looking a lot like Alucard from castlevania....

Well, Dunk's size is half the reason for his character. Robert's height was a known physical trait, just like wolverine's shortness in the xmen comic books as opposed to hugh jackman's height in the movies, but the characters worked either way. Dunk IS his height. He's Duncan the Tall for a reason. People pick fights with him because of his height, and those escalate into major plot points.

Every real fan I think wants to see Robert's rebellion played out, either acted or in the books. And I think a lot of people want to see Rhaegar and other Targs actually portrayed by decent actors... I agree, of course, that it would be nice. I just don't see it happening.

Every real fan I think wants to see Robert's rebellion played out, either acted or in the books. And I think a lot of people want to see Rhaegar and other Targs actually portrayed by decent actors... I agree, of course, that it would be nice. I just don't see it happening.

I don't.

Blackfyre Rebellions >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Robert's boring rebellion

• 2 months later...

I just asked GRRM on his NotaBlog about the report of him producing other shows for HBO.

Here is the reply.

"Tuff would be fun. Dunk and Egg are being discussed. Robert's Rebellion is part of Ice & Fire, won't be a separate series. Sandkings was done by the OUTER LIMITS; I retain feature film rights, but television rights are gone.

I, CLAVDIVS? Heh, not likely. And talk about a suicide mission. I mean, I'll watch, but how do you match one of the greatest TV series ever made? That's the television equivilent of remaking GONE WITH THE WIND or CITIZEN KANE. No, thanks."

http://grrm.livejournal.com/311788.html#comments

Exciting to hear George say a D&E adaptation is being discussed.

I just asked GRRM on his NotaBlog about the report of him producing other shows for HBO.

Here is the reply.

"Tuff would be fun. Dunk and Egg are being discussed. Robert's Rebellion is part of Ice & Fire, won't be a separate series. Sandkings was done by the OUTER LIMITS; I retain feature film rights, but television rights are gone.

I, CLAVDIVS? Heh, not likely. And talk about a suicide mission. I mean, I'll watch, but how do you match one of the greatest TV series ever made? That's the television equivilent of remaking GONE WITH THE WIND or CITIZEN KANE. No, thanks."

http://grrm.livejour...8.html#comments

Exciting to hear George say a D&E adaptation is being discussed.

This made my day :drool:

It's a very exciting prospect. It would greatly benefit the non ASOIAF readers by showing them just how rich Westeros is in history.

It would also open the door to more readers. It's perfect for the people who are hesitant to devote so much time into the books, this would be a great starting point. Three novellas isn't as intimidating as 5 mammoth books. And once they're hooked they'll wish each book contained more.

Indeed this is awesome news. And I guess sooner or later we're going to start getting Robert's Rebellion flashbacks, as Cogman I believe said they would have to start giving more info on it. I think that's why they cut out the scene from one of the season one trailers of Brandon Stark getting choked by the rope. They want to save it for later in the series.

Doing the Dunk and Egg stories in the vein of Sherlock series (except lasting, say, 2 hours) might be great.

I reread them all just recently and the first episode itself with the Ashford tourney and the Trial of Seven would be incredible, especially if we got a good cast. Baelor as a chivalrous hero who sees dunk's worth, ultimately to fall, Egg referencing his brother Aemon learning to be a maester. Seeing the Targaryens during their rule and a throwback almost to Viserys through Aerion which fans would recognise as the madness, would be a brilliant way to further grow the world.

Made this cast list yesterday, thought it'd be cool to share.

• Ian Whyte as Dunk
  • Joseph Fiennes as Aerion Brightflame
  • Jack Davenport as Baelor Targaryen
  • James Frain as Daeron Targaryen

The choices wouldn't be far out of the realm of possibility and it would make me a happy man!

Made this cast list yesterday, thought it'd be cool to share.

• Ian Whyte as Dunk
  • Joseph Fiennes as Aerion Brightflame
  • Jack Davenport as Baelor Targaryen
  • James Frain as Daeron Targaryen

The choices wouldn't be far out of the realm of possibility and it would make me a happy man!

Ian Whyte is not a good choice for Dunk imo. Sure he's tall, but he's really skinny and a pretty bad actor.

Regardles of what happens with D&E I think there definitely has to be a HBO tv movie for Robert's rebellion, and I'd honestly be shocked if D&D/GRRM haven't at least discussed the idea among themselves. The tricky part is the timing. If they show Robert's rebellion they may have to wait until the series is in it's final season and then do a Lord of the Rings The Hobbit kind of thing or at least wait until most of the big secretes have been revealed on the show most notably, Jon parentage. If the're going to show Robert's Rebellion I Imagine the scenes at TOH and TOJ are a must. They'd probably start the movie showing the TOH tourney and end it with Ned and Robert reconciling after the events at the TOJ which obviously would be huge spoilers. So they would have to be very careful on the timing.

Archived