And the Iron Thrones goes to...

Lady Octarina

Bran is handicapped, and no matter how much magic goes around in Westeros, it's very unlikely his crushed bones will ever be healed. It would be taking too many risks to follow a Lord or a king who can't lead an army - if we make parallels with our world, that would never happen during medieval days. A Lord will only be respected if he goes o war with his men, otherwise he's considered weak and easily disposable. And the North has three other Starks to follow (not to mention Jon) - Arya and Sansa may be lost to them, but as long as Rickon lives they don't have to worry about following Bran. So, yes, I think he'll be a tree forever, and that will be much better for Bran than growing up in that world with his difficulties. And, honestly, doesn't it seem wrong to you that someone who saw the past and the future would have any interest in getting involved in something as irrelevant as politics?

You don't think the fact that Bran can communicate thru Weirwoods and can harness some of the Children's magic would override that? I think those that worship at the Weirwoods, and many converts once it has been proven the trees hold magic, would follow him anywhere. How many people, during the medieval times (and today) blindly follow a religion and its leader?

Bran is handicapped, and no matter how much magic goes around in Westeros, it's very unlikely his crushed bones will ever be healed. It would be taking too many risks to follow a Lord or a king who can't lead an army - if we make parallels with our world, that would never happen during medieval days. A Lord will only be respected if he goes o war with his men, otherwise he's considered weak and easily disposable. And the North has three other Starks to follow (not to mention Jon) - Arya and Sansa may be lost to them, but as long as Rickon lives they don't have to worry about following Bran. So, yes, I think he'll be a tree forever, and that will be much better for Bran than growing up in that world with his difficulties. And, honestly, doesn't it seem wrong to you that someone who saw the past and the future would have any interest in getting involved in something as irrelevant as politics?

You don't think the fact that Bran can communicate thru Weirwoods and can harness some of the Children's magic would override that? I think those that worship at the Weirwoods, and many converts once it has been proven the trees hold magic, would follow him anywhere. How many people, during the medieval times (and today) blindly follow a religion and its leader into war?

You don't think the fact that Bran can communicate thru Weirwoods and can harness some of the Children's magic would override that? I think those that worship at the Weirwoods, and many converts once it has been proven the trees hold magic, would follow him anywhere. How many people, during the medieval times (and today) blindly follow a religion and its leader into war?

You don't think the fact that Bran can communicate thru Weirwoods and can harness some of the Children's magic would override that? I think those that worship at the Weirwoods, and many converts once it has been proven the trees hold magic, would follow him anywhere. How many people, during the medieval times (and today) blindly follow a religion and its leader?

How would he prove it to them? And anyway, I think Bran would be much more valuable, even to the old religion, staying with those caves with Bloodraven and the CotF, learning more about his powers (because, really, the way he is powerful it'll probably take a lifetime for him to learn everything he can do, not the few years we'll have passing in the remaining books). The only circumstance that I see could make it necessary for Bran to go south would be if Meera was to return home - since Jojen will probably die too soon and I assume Hodor would have to stay to help Bran move around, and would hardly be a fitting company for Meera. But I think even her return is unlikely to happen. Yes, I sincerely believe Bran's becoming a tree is much more useful to the plot than his returning south of the Wall.

Uhm in the last chapter I was lead to believe that there was a change in that status...and in anwswer to who will sit on the throne I believe it will again be seven kingdoms.

In previous posts, I think on this thread, it was concluded that her period arriving does not mean she was no longer infertile. One thing doesn't really depend on the other, you know? It was probably designed to show the precariousness of her situation, lost in the desert, than allow the possibility of a new Targ on the way soon.

And the North has three other Starks to follow (not to mention Jon) - Arya and Sansa may be lost to them, but as long as Rickon lives they don't have to worry about following Bran.

Bran will not walk but he will fly. Caitlin, Arya, Sansa and Jon are not dead or will not be lost. The only two Starks we know who are dead are Eddard and Robb. The Starks are the Kings of the winter and have been since the "Age of Heroes". Longer than any other family that still lives in Westernos. (Wiki inspired). I would not write any of them off. They will all serve a great purpose.

In previous posts, I think on this thread, it was concluded that her period arriving does not mean she was no longer infertile. One thing doesn't really depend on the other, you know? It was probably designed to show the precariousness of her situation, lost in the desert, than allow the possibility of a new Targ on the way soon.

We shall see! And how can anything be concluded until its finished...:) I just finished reading the book and did not really feel like reading the other posts. I am sorry if I am treading over old POV's. But I will read everything! I am just a little angry now and cound not find my real sign in password!!!!

Bran will not walk but he will fly. Caitlin, Arya, Sansa and Jon are not dead or will not be lost. The only two Starks we know who are dead are Eddard and Robb. The Starks are the Kings of the winter and have been since the "Age of Heroes". Longer than any other family that still lives in Westernos. (Wiki inspired). I would not write any of them off. They will all serve a great purpose.

You don't need to be a king or a leader to serve a great purpose.

Hmm -- I don't think it'll be Dany who sits the throne, but your post just lit a small lightbulb for me. Putting her period together with the cliff-hanger at the end . . . what if Khal whats-his-face turns out to be the 'perfect' partner for Dany rather than a threat, as he seemed to me to represent at the end of ADWD? She continues to moon for Khal Drogo and has found no 'suitable suitors' in Meereen. I can think of no suitable ones headed her way, either (sorry, Victarion). Maybe she's just stuck on the Dothraki type.

In terms of who ends up on the iron throne, though . . . I don't see anybody clearly in my crystal ball. Don't really like any of the contenders much except Jon - or one of the still living Starks. Personally, I think Arya would be awesome! (But, unfortunately, that'll be the day . . . )

How would he prove it to them? And anyway, I think Bran would be much more valuable, even to the old religion, staying with those caves with Bloodraven and the CotF, learning more about his powers (because, really, the way he is powerful it'll probably take a lifetime for him to learn everything he can do, not the few years we'll have passing in the remaining books). The only circumstance that I see could make it necessary for Bran to go south would be if Meera was to return home - since Jojen will probably die too soon and I assume Hodor would have to stay to help Bran move around, and would hardly be a fitting company for Meera. But I think even her return is unlikely to happen. Yes, I sincerely believe Bran's becoming a tree is much more useful to the plot than his returning south of the Wall.

How cold! Just because the other storylines would go on more smoothly you would sentece the boy to eternal darkness, live his entire life, and a long one, without knowing what is to love and be loved back. I would be too sad if that happened.

I think he will eventually choose not to become a tree, at least for now (during the books). He will become an adviser to whoever is king or the lord of Winterfell.

About the Iron Throne. I am one of those who believes there will be no such thing in the end. The high lords (although how many will they be, I don't know) will have more power in the ruling of Westeros and there may be a neutral representative, but not the way it was before.

How cold! Just because the other storylines would go on more smoothly you would sentece the boy to eternal darkness, live his entire life, and a long one, without knowing what is to love and be loved back. I would be too sad if that happened.

I think he will eventually choose not to become a tree, at least for now (during the books). He will become an adviser to whoever is king or the lord of Winterfell.

About the Iron Throne. I am one of those who believes there will be no such thing in the end. The high lords (although how many will they be, I don't know) will have more power in the ruling of Westeros and there may be a neutral representative, but not the way it was before.

Convince everyone on the board that Bran is the best thing that ever happened to them, and that he's almost definitely a secret Targaryen, and they'll share your opinion that there is no way anything "bad" will ever befall him. Oh, and he'll totes be king of Westeros, because if he's not, then all this build up over his importance to stuff would have been for nothing.

I meant lost to the Northmen, not the readers. They all believe that Bran and Rickon are dead. They will obviously find out Jane is not Arrya and Sansa is missing. Caitlin is dead.

I want Tyrion on the Iron Throne :D Wishful thinking i know... But Tyrion would make a great king in my opinion, he'd probably help rebuild and unify Westeros i.e. through friendships with Jon Snow & possibly Young Griff.

All hail Tyrion of House Lannister, Future King of Westeros!!! :D

I'm not sentencing Bran to eternal sadness, I genuinely believe he'll be happier becoming one with Nature and learning so many things out of everyone else's reach than returning to a society that will never accept him because he's crippled, where he'll always be dependent on someone else carrying him to all places, and never will be truly taken seriously by his bannermen. Because, really, I think staying in those caves with the CotF he'll be much happier than Jon Snow sitting on the Iron Throne, for example - and yet that's what I want for him. So, in my POV, I'm actually cruel to Jon, not Bran :devil:

I don't think the Iron Throne goes to anybody. The whole point of the novel is to show that no one person is truly fit to lead. Everyone has their talents as well as their flaws. Especially since Martin is an American writer, the books will probably end with some kind of democratic union between all seven of the kingdoms. Each house will probably offer up some kind of representative or something. The main difference between a Song of Ice and Fire and Lord of the Rings is that Martin doesn't make the plot about good vs evil; it's much more realistic than that. There is no Aragorn that will unite all of Westeros. Anyways, I just think that the Iron Throne system of rule has been proven to be a broken system, and to go through 7 or 8 novels to wind up where everything started would be reductive.

If the throne has to go to somebody though, please let it be Hodor. In Hodor we trust.

I don't think the Iron Throne goes to anybody. The whole point of the novel is to show that no one person is truly fit to lead. Everyone has their talents as well as their flaws. Especially since Martin is an American writer, the books will probably end with some kind of democratic union between all seven of the kingdoms. Each house will probably offer up some kind of representative or something. The main difference between a Song of Ice and Fire and Lord of the Rings is that Martin doesn't make the plot about good vs evil; it's much more realistic than that. There is no Aragorn that will unite all of Westeros. Anyways, I just think that the Iron Throne system of rule has been proven to be a broken system, and to go through 7 or 8 novels to wind up where everything started would be reductive.

If the throne has to go to somebody though, please let it be Hodor. In Hodor we trust.

In hodor we truse!!

The long awaited appearance of Howland Reed will surely give an indication as to the final outcome:

1.) Robb's will (Jon as King of the North, meaning Jon being legitimize by a King. Will probably be enough for most of the northern Lords to come under his banner)

2.) What really happened in the Tower of Joy (most probable outcome, Jon Stark/Targaryen rightful Heir to the Iron Throne)

Looking at it this way seems that all roads lead to King Jon!

Archived