San Diego Comic Con 2012 (New Member IDs, Planning, etc.)

Eve*

Hey Everyone!

First time posting, but I've been reading the various discussions on this forum for longer than I would care to admit!

Since there doesn't appear to be a topic on this already, I figured I would go ahead and post about it. This year for Comic Con, in order to buy tickets you must first register for a member ID (All the info is on the comic con website).

Member ID registration only goes until late February I believe, so while this all seems like planning very far ahead, it's necessary this year!

Hopefully there will be a bunch of us going this year, and we can discuss the event as it gets closer!

~ Eve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Barring that iit s not impossible to get a ticket before they are sold out on the website I'll be there with my wife and our little geek in training! Always lots of cool stuff to check out.

There is also Wondercon in Anaheim this next month, it's Comiccon organizations smaller convention usually held in San Francisco. In many ways much better then the San Diego one, lots of studio stuff, most assuradly Clash of Kings promotion, allot of media and you don't have to wade through a mass of humanity.

Some authors will be there, most notably Joe Hill, Stephen King's talanted son.

Hi Eve!

So glad you started this thread. I have so many questions about Comicon and hopefully someone can enlighten me!

I think every year since I've been with my Hubs we have talked about going but something always comes up (last year we were broke, year before I was super pregnant, etc) but this is the year we are gonna try our best to get the tickets!

Does anybody know what the online process is like? Are we talking like getting up at 2am and praying our connection is fast enough?

How about hotels? Good vs bad for price? How much are the tickets? Best days to go? Local eats?

Anyone know how much tickets cost for which days?

And childcare??!! I read that they have a place to take the little'uns and let them play (supervised) so parents can go and do their own thing for a while.

Maybe some of us from the forum can meet up. Let me know what you guys think.

I really hope GoT and TB have panels this year.

Lady Olenna,

Once you have your member ID (which everyone needs by this week!), the best source for ticket info is here: http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_reg.php

Click on the link that says to download the PDF of helpful hints and tips about the ticketing...I guess this year it is possible to wait 3-4 hours for tickets, and they may run out :(.

Hopefully we will all have good luck once ticketing starts; I think a meet up would be really fun.

I'm currently a student here in San Diego, and I can comfortably say there are a plethora of good hotels and restaurants within close distance to the convention center!

Wow the 4 day passes sold out really quickly. So we only bought tickets for Saturday and Sunday. I'm wishing we would have bought Friday and Saturday instead but oh well. Really hope GoT is there again and they come on Saturday.

Did anybody else get tickets?

• 3 months later...

...and chiming in far too late....

Yup. I managed to snag a four-day w/preview night. Completely and utterly bummed to hear the GoT panel is going to be in Hall H (on Friday--sorry!). I've pretty much sworn off Hall H , given that if that's what you're doing, you're spending the whole damn day in there. (sigh). It was four hours in line for Ballroom 20 last year, lord knows what it'll be for Hall H this year, and you were only fighting the folks wanting to get into the Ringer panel. ::eyeroll:: With Hall H, you're fighting feature film presentation crowds.

Yes. There is childcare.

This is probably a stupid thing to suggest, but have you considered googling up any of the bazillion and one Comic-Con all-expenses/tickets type contests and entering? I mean, what's the worst that can happen?

Finally looking back at this thread...ticket sales were rough this year (as always), but I am so excited that I will be there Friday (with a good friend and fellow reader)...perhaps all of us going should band together to fight these crowds/hold places so others can stretch their legs while waiting forever and a day, or something? I look forward to hopefully having some great discussions while we wait...

• 3 weeks later...

Man, I am so envious of you guys for getting to see GoT. I am kicking myself for not getting the Friday tickets but we didn't have it planned out very well so ... pooh. It will be our first time going so I'm pretty much just going to try and enjoy the ride and not get overwhelmed by spending hours in lines. Actually, this will be our first vacation away from our son so I'm pretty sure I will just be enjoying some time off!

Is anyone going to try and get into True Blood on Saturday? I think I might just opt to get into the Grimm panel (hopefully it won't be as crowded). Does anyone know if the Walking Dead will be there? I haven't seen them on the program but I haven't googled it yet either.

Are you guys going to bring a folding chair to sit in while you wait in line? I'm seriously debating it.

Lady Olenna!

The Walking Dead panel is actually right before the Game of Thrones panel on Friday! It's a bummer you will be missing both of them, but Saturday has so many awesome panels to see so you are lucky you got a ticket for that day! Personally on Saturday, I'm going to make another attempt at Hall H to see the Hobbit, but I don't know how that will work out. There are already people there now (twilight fans for Thursday I'm assuming), which is absolutely insane in my opinion. These lines are going to be long!

The Game of Thrones panel was decent...loved seeing the new casting. George moderating was great, but sometimes things he would say would go right over a given cast member's head. I guess sometimes a dry sense of humor can be missed when translating from American to British! It just so happened that the panels prior to Game of Thrones on Friday had a bunch of funny moments (even paranorman, which I will admit I have absolutely zero interest in). The big bang theory was obviously comical, and the walking dead panel was personally my favorite of the day. But overall they were all really awesome! I got in line for hall h at 4 am, and was relatively in the front of the room (I could see everyone's faces clearly without the big screens, so I consider that generally close). How did Saturday go for you?

My sister was out there at 4 am on Friday and saw all the panels. She said GoT was pretty good but not exciting. She also said GRRM is a little pervy to which I just giggled. She's never read the books (or The walking dead comics - both of which I love). She also refuses to give me her swag bag. Sometimes family sucks lol.

On Saturday I opted to hit the exhibit hall and grab some exclusive toys and what nots. Scored some great stuff. We managed to get into the Grimm panel - and that was AWESOME. Really fun. My sis did say that the Family Guy panel had her laughing so hard she was in tears.

Really wish I had known about the zombie run. That seemed super cool. Overall even though it was packed people were nice and pleasant. Definitely going next year!

Yeah George kept referencing the SNL skit about GOT, which has it's pervy moments. If you haven't seen it, basically the premise is that there is a 13 year old boy who adds breasts to scenes to make them more interesting. I love that George actually watched it, and can have a laugh at it! I hear the swag bag was decent, but the things inside are items a fan probably already owns. A friend of mine got super pumped that Clash was in it, but I definitely don't need a third copy, so I was alright with missing out on it haha. I'm glad saturday went well for you! I hear it was packed! I wish I could have seen the hobbit panel, but I wasn't really feeling another super early morning for hall h. I know someone who did the zombie run, and loved it! He was fortunate enough to have won a raffle to the walking dead signing, so he got to get the 100th comic he won signed! So awesome!

I believe I will, I had such a great time...as long as I get tickets of course. Hopefully doing preregistration helps! Do you think you will go next year?

Archived