The Origins of Love, Life, and The Universe

TheLoneliestMonk

STU,

That is entirely possible. But I'm not going to suggest you should interprete your "trancendite experiences" in any particular way while you are ready and willing to poo-poo mine.

I'm not just poo-pooing your experiences. I'm saying there is no reason to believe these experience are but the cause of electro-chemical reactions in the brain. Can you show me something that proves your divine influence?

You're just reaffirming my arguments. "I just want to believe in what I want to believe, because it FEELS right, and I like it and stuff."

God dammit, the world does not care about what you believe in. This world runs on physical laws. PHYSICAL LAWS, in case you didn't get that. Your conscious belief is no more significant than a leaf falling to the ground in the scope of the universe. Stop self-aggrandizing.

Let me be more clear to you, i don't care what you think my beliefs are, you should just try and respect other people's beliefs.

If you think the way others define their existence is wrong that's your problem.

When atheists go around shaming, ridiculing other people for their beliefs they'are acting the same way religious people do when they condem other people's mundane ways (of course im excluding the religious extremists who use violence of this comparison)

I'm not just poo-pooing your experiences. I'm saying there is no reason to believe these experience are but the cause of electro-chemical reactions in the brain. Can you show me something that proves your divine influence?

Again, he is not trying to prove anything, he is just showing the way he interprets these experiences. And yes, you are "poo-pooing."

Why should beliefs be respected? And I assume that you only include religious beliefs or are you telling me I should respect the beliefs of the idiots who are out their attempting to find actual faeries? And if my assumption is right I've got another question, why should religion be excluded from mockery and critical questioning? What the fuck make religion so special?

Believing that you can determine the nature of reality seems optimistic. Presumably scientists post Newton believed that Newtonian physics helped them to understand the nature of reality and were quite confident (by and large) they were working along the right lines until Einstein postulated that some of their basic pre-conceptions were wrong.

We exist intellectually within the working hypotheses of our time but who is to say when they will be overturned by some new idea or discovery?

I guarantee that current hypotheses will be overturned, that's the point of science. That doesn't mean current hypotheses are wrong they're just not as right as they could be. If Einsteins theory of relativity is overturned it just means that whatever replaces it is a more accurate explanation for the universe. There's a reason we sometimes still use Newton's theory rather than Einsteins when modelling things. Because in many cases Newton's theory is accurate enough for whatever purpose.

You're just reaffirming my arguments. "I just want to believe in what I want to believe, because it FEELS right, and I like it and stuff."

God dammit, the world does not care about what you believe in. This world runs on physical laws. PHYSICAL LAWS, in case you didn't get that. Your conscious belief is no more significant than a leaf falling to the ground in the scope of the universe. Stop self-aggrandizing.

When it comes to the origins of love, life and the universe people want answers that are subjectively satisfying and meaningful to them. If Physics scratches your itch - great.

While the universe does run on physical laws our current state of knowledge presumably does not describe them all or describe them all accurately.

Let me be more clear to you, i don't care what you think my beliefs are, you should just try and respect other people's beliefs.

If you think the way others define their existence is wrong that's your problem.

When atheists go around shaming, ridiculing other people for their beliefs they'are acting the same way religious people do when they condem other people's mundane ways (of course im excluding the religious extremists who use violence of this comparison)

Oh, and finally we get to the "stop disrespecting my beliefs" part. Not all opinions are equal. You're just blindly defending your baseless beliefs by this point by accusing me of being offensive. You're not defending your theological beliefs in any logical way, you're just feeling offended. Why should I respect something that has no evidence in its favour. I could say Julia Roberts is in love with me, but there is nothing going for that belief is there?

And the thing is, physical laws are not perpetual, they change as the universe changes. And there is not one single theory that explains the whole of existence.

Im not using the gaps of science to justify my beliefs here, what im saying is, if science is enough for you, great, but is not for me, and i really don't care what other people think about my choice.

Oh, and finally we get to the "stop disrespecting my beliefs" part. Not all opinions are equal. You're just blindly defending your baseless beliefs by this point by accusing me of being offensive. You're not defending your theological beliefs in any logical way, you're just feeling offended. Why should I respect something that has no evidence in its favour. I could say Julia Roberts is in love with me, but there is nothing going for that belief is there?

You are the one agressive trolling my beliefs here, im sticking to arguing, or trying to, here.

even in science you come to a point were there are other people who are smarter than you (unless your the smartest person in the world)and you have to have "faith" in what they are teaching you. I would rather put my beliefs in what I know, fill and believe then allowing someone else to tell me what they think which you have to do at some point in science. If I am wrong it will not harm anyone else. If I try to push my beliefs on others and am wrong then I could harm others.

But you have no argument. Scientists are actually trying to comprehend the world around us, using passionless, tested, accurate methodology. You're just content with what you want the world to be like.

Im not trying to argue about the origin of the universe, im trying to argue why i chose no to use science when answering those fundamental questions the op made, and you have been failing to see the point ever since.

Probably because there's scientific method involved with an experiment they can test. So its worth a shot if it can be proven or dis-proven.

Exactly. It doesn't matter what the hypothesis presumes, it should always based upon solid evidence. I don't care if some scientists believe in string theory absolutely--if there is not sufficient evidence for it, it is not worthy of absolute belief.

RGR,

Probably because there's scientific method involved with an experiment they can test. So its worth a shot if it can be proven or dis-proven.

No, there really aren't. And they will say that even if some of the few preditions are falsified, like super-symmetry, that does not falsify string theory as a whole.

Im not trying to argue about the origin of the universe, im trying to argue why i chose no to use science when answering those fundamental questions the op made, and you have been failing to see the point ever since.

Well please show me a method of investigation superior to that of science. Science is all about scepticism. It's about testing something until we know it is fact. What method can you propose that is better?

Well please show me a method of investigation superior to that of science. Science is all about scepticism. It's about testing something until we know it is fact. What method can you propose that is better?

Again, im not trying to convince anyone of anything alternative to science, just answering to the op why i chose not to use science when refleting about my existence.

Archived