The Origins of Love, Life, and The Universe

TheLoneliestMonk

TP,

Semantics question: why isn't it called "String Hypothesis"?

I don't know enough about the field to say. Perhaps there are more circumstantial data to support it than we're led to believe?

This is the way the truth and the life:

http://conservapedia...es_to_Evolution

:bang:

Sorry if I offended anyone. I browse through that website whenever I'm feeling bad about myself; it sort of serves as a little pick-me-up for when I need a god laugh.

Pun + typo intended on the "god laugh".

I don't know enough about the field to say. Perhaps there are more circumstantial data to support it than we're led to believe?

You want additional circumstantial data, TerraPrime? Then continue reading.

Want to argue anti-creationism? Take a look at this article, as it pertains to a ground breaking discovery on the formation of extraterrestrial quasicrystals (which were previously thought not to occur naturally).

Really interesting stuff (at least to me since I'm a rock guru): http://www.physorg.c...errestrial.html

Makes you wonder (or me in the least) if we're ever going to get over our petty squabbles and finally put all our ingenuity and man-power into getting us out there, to explore that real unknown.

I hope I live long enough to see it happen. In my honest and humble opinion, greed and religion are this world's downfall. Unfortunately, the two go perfectly together like two pieces of a puzzle, and will continue to inhibit humanity for many years to come.

So youre a robot, moved only by reason and unaffected by the possible meaninglessness of your action.

Yeah, it really doesn't bother me that much. There's nothing to suggest we're anything but biological machines (which I don't see as demeaning in any way). But I'm not moved only by reason, I'm still an irrational human being. I'll just take reason and science over emotion when it comes to discovering the nature of reality.

As for 'meaning' the one thing Theists always seem to bring into it is that an external plane of existence seems to be somehow more comforting to them than oblivion. As an Atheist and a Humanist I feel that 'meaning' is a useless term, but when used, why not give yourself a meaning for this world, as in not live for the next life or afterlife, live and work solely to make this world better by means that are verifiable and adaptable to changing times. Not sure of any of the Theists here feel the same way, but living for the next life is just a selfish and escapist way of seeing the opportunity that is your life and what you could do with it.

As for 'meaning' the one thing Theists always seem to bring into it is that an external plane of existence seems to be somehow more comforting to them than oblivion. As an Atheist and a Humanist I feel that 'meaning' is a useless term, but when used, why not give yourself a meaning for this world, as in not live for the next life or afterlife, live and work solely to make this world better by means that are verifiable and adaptable to changing times. Not sure of any of the Theists here feel the same way, but living for the next life is just a selfish and escapist way of seeing the opportunity that is your life and what you could do with it.

And yet there are so many religious charities, and so many people inspired by religion to give unto others. (And I'm not just talking about missionaries.)

RGR,

You are digressing into details of individual religious dogmas. Many faiths do not hold that good works now add up to salvation in the next life. So, attempting say "Theists are only kind to others out of selfishness" is not always true. Take care you don't paint with too broad a brush.

I was wondering what you guys thought happened when you die. I think there has to be more than just nothing. I just watched the movie "afterlife" very good.

Its doesn't throw in the religious stuff on death, but got me really thinking. I just wondered what you guys think happen that don’t believe in creation

I think there has to be more than just nothing.

Why? Why does there *have* to be? All the evidence we have suggests that consciousness is a property of the brain's functioning and there's no reason to suppose it would survive death.

The universe doesn't owe us a sense of hope or comfort. It is not required for the universe to fall into line with human desires.

I was wondering what you guys thought happened when you die. I think there has to be more than just nothing. I just watched the movie "afterlife" very good.

Its doesn't throw in the religious stuff on death, but got me really thinking. I just wondered what you guys think happen that don’t believe in creation

The fact that I am going to die scares me. It scares me because it is unknown and I guess this fear is somewhat rational. I think we get a taste of it every night when we fall asleep.

There is some interesting work on near death experiences that show it is somewhat common that a person may feel a euphoric or comforting experience. I thing it's fascinating that alot of near death experiences show a common pattern, whether this is social programming or a biochemical experience, who knows. IIRC correctly, some of the sensations reported may be related to elevated carbon dioxide levels in the brain.

I think when we die our last sensations are going to be mediated by the death of our brain. Since I have never experienced time stopping, who knows how I will experience the last moment of my existence. It could very well be an "afterlife" of sorts since that will be my last seconds with nothing coming after. When I think about how nice it feels to fall asleep after a long tiring day, it takes away some of my fear.

Scot, only if you buy into the many worlds interpretation (which I do not) and even then, it's not immortality the way it's generally understood, nor much as anyone would actually define the concept. If we're all copies, the passing of one or whathaveyou goes unremarked by the others.

There's no continuity in that interpretation, after all.

I'm a Theist, by the way.

All I know for certain is that we will all find out. Unless, of course "quantum immortality" turns out to be real.

actually, if you are wrong and i am right and that you just blink out of existence when your life ends neither of us will ever know. ceasing to exist and all, you just are not going to know it.

i think that is a good bit of solace for the believer. if they are wrong about believing they are never going to know. the nonbeliever is not going to know it either.

Archived