Do you want Jon Snow to die?

Aneurin Frey

Has everyone forgotten about the fact that Jon's wounds are described as "smoking"? Not steaming, like you'd expect from warm blood in cold air, but smoking. This leads me to suspect that since Jon continually refused Mel's help, she took it upon herself to put some sort of protective spell on him. The wounds were smoking because they were self-healing, the way Victarion's hand was instantly healed, but now smokes.

Has everyone forgotten about the fact that Jon's wounds are described as "smoking"? Not steaming, like you'd expect from warm blood in cold air, but smoking. This leads me to suspect that since Jon continually refused Mel's help, she took it upon herself to put some sort of protective spell on him. The wounds were smoking because they were self-healing, the way Victarion's hand was instantly healed, but now smokes.

Wounds have been described as "smoking" in the cold before.

Also, if Mel had done some kind of magic on Jon, that would also explain why Ghost was acting so strangely right before Jon went to the Shieldhall. The last time Mel was around Ghost, he acted strangely and snarled at Jon. Ghost would definitely be able to sense if there was something weird about Jon.

I remember that Drogon's wounds in the fighting pit were described as smoking. Do you recall the other ones? Thanks.

They're peppered here and there, I can't think of specific pages. But I know that wounds in the cold, as in on the Wall or north of it have been described as smoking. It's just the heat of the blood meeting the cold, it's not actual smoke.

Just one more point: if Jon is wounded but recovers naturally he will be out of action for a long time. The only quick healing we see is Victarion's, by Maquorro (sp?) the Red Priest. We don't know if Mel can heal as well as kill.

And an OT thought. Red Rahoo would be the perfect agency to deal with the wights, flame being their nemesis.

Uh Oh, unless you want the rest of the books spoiled I suggest you stick to the "still reading" parts of the forum until you are finished. You'll hate everyone on here and yourself too if you spoil things for yourself :D

Just sayin'

LOL I got into the books because I read a bunch of spoilers, I haven't seen the show but have it ordered and I want to get as much info as I can before I watch it because I know how books get dissected and rearranged when they are turned in to movies or T.V. shows.

I don't want him to die. His whole arc would be rather pointless if he did. And he's too awesome a character to die in such a mundane way. If he dies, the death should have purpose, plot-wise and Westeros-wise. There should be meaning to it. Not just some of the NW was pissed off at him so they killed him.

On a shallow note, I'm a fangirl so no, I don't want him going anywhere. :drunk:

I don't even want him resurrected. My own personal take is he's just gravely wounded, he's unconcious/in a coma for a while (hence how he ends up in Ghost without dying), learns what he needs to learn and gets better.

The pink letter is the big mystery here, I agree. But I also think there's a lot that needs to be learned about that 2+ hour conversation Jon & Tormund had. I think that would fill in a hell of a lot of blanks.

Damn you GRRM for these cliffhangers! :bawl: :bowdown:

They're peppered here and there, I can't think of specific pages. But I know that wounds in the cold, as in on the Wall or north of it have been described as smoking. It's just the heat of the blood meeting the cold, it's not actual smoke.

Actually the only line I can remember referencing that is from the prologue of GOT when the wounds of Royce are described by Will as steaming in the cold air.

Part of me would be really choked if Jon turns out to be dead. My first read through the book I kept thinking what a raw deal he had been given, and the L+R=J theory gave me hope that he might end up happy, instead of just crapped on some more.

I think it would be very interesting storytelling if he were just canned from the story - a great tragedy sort of story - but I think it's unlikely because it doesn't really lend itself to resolving a lot of what's out there.

Why do stories always have to have a closure though ? Sometimes people's life brutally end for no reason and none of it makes sense.

I wouldn't mind it if, for once, a character died without having fulfilled some grand purpose.

Why do stories always have to have a closure though ? Sometimes people's life brutally end for no reason and none of it makes sense. I wouldn't mind it if, for once, a character died without having fulfilled some grand purpose.

I think Joe Abercrombie's books do that very well, and its brilliant.

Pointless vs. meaningful quests are a good indicator of what kind of story Martin is writing. It's clearly in a more Tolkien style. e.g., Bran's story is probably the most cliched in the book. Bran goes on a quest to recover his legs and gets enrolled in magic school, for god sakes. Abercrombie sends his characters on a quest where

literally nothing is found.

I think Joe Abercrombie's books do that very well, and its brilliant.

Pointless vs. meaningful quests are a good indicator of what kind of story Martin is writing. It's clearly in a more Tolkien style. e.g., Bran's story is probably the most cliched in the book. Bran goes on a quest to recover his legs and gets enrolled in magic school, for god sakes.

I think that a better comparison to ASOIAF might be historical fiction.. I've always thought that Pillars of the Earth with dragons. I think that it is one thing to have a setting be gritty and realistic and for some characters to die. (It wouldn't shock me if Jon, Dany, or both end up dying in the Battle for Dawn at the Trident). However, I want that sacrifice to mean something and I want to someone to get at least a bittersweet ending. I highly doubt that the guy who wrote the Red Wedding is totally going to turn around in the last two books and write a story where the hidden heir to the dynasty marries the pretty princess, defeats the bad guys, and lives happily ever after as the ruler of the magical kingdom with his step brothers and sisters. Most likely, all the Starks and Dany are going to face a lot of hardships and only earn partial, bittersweet happy endings. However, I do want them to get some happy moments.. like Arya and Jon finally reuniting. Unlike Abercrombie's books that want to make me slit my own wrists.. he tries to hard to be "edgy" that it is depressing.

NO, I don't want Jon to die at all for many reasons: because I like him, because we don't know a lot about him, because he plays an important role, because his death doesn't make sense to me at all. But I don't want him to be resurrected as a living dead either, I want him to be alive. I just feel his arc is not finished. I really what I can add to that, that's all I think.

It depends. If it's a choice between Jon dead and Jon dead and then resurrected, I'd much rather he just die and stay dead. Don't get me wrong, I don't want Jon to die, but I would hate resurrected Jon, in any form Un or not, more.

My hope is that Jon will simply survive his wounds, and Mel will help heal him. He might experience a brief out of body experience where he wargs into Ghost, they might put his comatose body in an ice cell until things calm down and Mel can heal his wounds, but I very much doubt that Jon will actually die from the stabbings.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How can anyone want Jon to die?! He's awesome and has yet to save the world from the Others as The Prince who was Promised, which he is. And yet has yet to discover he is Rhaegar Targaryen's bastard, which he is.

I say that Melisandre will heal him from this near-death experience and that it will serve as the rebirth that The Prince must go through before he can unlock his powers.

LotN

Archived