Your favorite Villain in the Series? SPOILERS

AngrySoviet

I love Arya, but I wouldn't necessarily consider her a villain. I think the Hound, because you never know what he's going to do. He has it in him to be a complete bastard, but he has another side to him that makes me feel sympathy towards him. Which also sets me on edge, because once I start to like a villain, I wonder what they're going to do and how I will be able to cope with that. Nuts, I know, nobody needs to tell me x)

Tyrion and Arya have been named as favorite villains.

Well, they are my favorite characters and if they should turn out to be villainous in other readers's eyes they will be my favourite characters AND my favorite villains!

:devil: AND THEN I'LL WANT THE EVIL TO WIN! :devil:

Gregor Clegane is everything I want in a villain. Cruel, brutish, nasty, and big and mean enough to back it up. Even with a dose of Dornish poison in his system strong enough to put a normal human on the ground writhing in agony and with a spear head in his chest he still has enough left to kill the deadly Red Viper. Screw clever, subtle, all that limp-wristed crap. The Mountain is the Man!

Probably Cersei and Roose. Cersei's a great villain in that, for me at least, I actually kind of wanted her to be successful when reading her chapters (despite the fact that I've hated her for the entire series, and still do). Something about her totally batshit-crazy scheming and paranoia is just kind of hilarious, and in a weird way it made me want to see her be a little vindicated by the end of AFfC. And I think that Gregorstein will be the instrument with which she enacts that vindication (don't get me wrong, I still want to her to die horribly at some point, but I'd rather it be later than sooner).

And Roose, well, Roose is just plain badass. He's actually quite similar to Tywin. In fact, given greater political power, I could see Roose being an even better ruler (although Tywin was probably the superior military mind).

Petyr Baelish. No question. I love a good underdog, and Petyr is the perfect underdog character with a twist. A man who starts out as the disgraced lord of the littlest of the Fingers and ends up the Lord Paramount of the Riverlands and Lord Protector of the Vale--yeah, color me impressed. (I'm also a big fan of Varys for similar reasons.) Plus, he has an interesting back story, and I like villains with a sympathetic aspect to their lives, as opposed to a character who's just pure evil...like the lovely Gregor Clegane.

Runner up goes to Arya Stark, spunky highborn lady turned miniature assassin/serial killer.

My personal favorite villains:

Littlefinger: the man moves where others stand still, talks where others draw their swords, bribes where others bully---and he's the one who's still alive. He's infinitely more dangerous than most villains except the late Tywin Lannister and Roose Bolton before Stannis or Wyman Manderly shorten him by a head.

The Others: I guess I'm one of the few who loves the supernatural/horror elements along with the brutal, Machiavellian medieval politics and warfare. The Others say nothing, appear little but are always there. Tormund talking about how they're always watching from the woods gave me chills. When they make their move, it will hellish and awesome.

Special Mentions:

Roose Bolton: All the Bolton cruelty, except he uses it as a tool rather than a source of pleasure like his son. His icy demeanor and control make him a force to be reckoned with.

Euron: I can't help but feel Euron never showed all the cards up his sleeve. Sending Victarion (a man with every reason in the world to hate and betray him) to go and bring him back Daenerys as a bride just seemed like way too much obvious temptation for Victarion to betray him. Whatever his plans are, they're big and subtle.

Possible villian:

Patchface---God this guy is creepy, and Mel's vision made him infinitely creepier. Waiting to see if he is a villain or hapless dupe with prophetic powers.

Cersei is a paranoid former shell of her self so I would have to with Tywin, who gets the job done with the least amount of visible stress and exhertion possible in public. Sometimes he didn't even have to lift a finger to get people to do as he wished and to fall into line because his reputation preceeded him.

My favourites:

The Others. They are really in a league of their own. I don't know if they are really evil or beyond good and evil, but for me they are the main antagonists of the series. Other people read the books for the human politics, but I believe that in the end the story is (or should be) mainly about the others. Their threat overshadows every other villain in the series and makes them somewhat irrelevant.

Ever since the prologue I have been desperately hoping to hear/read more about them

As for the human villains:

Littlefinger One of my favourite characters in the whole series and the only villain I sympathise with and root for (For a series renowned for its villains, I found most of the bad guys, and girls, in ASOIAF to be particularly unsympathetic). I allso rate him as the most intelligent villain, and one of the lesser evil ones. Sadly, I am convinced he will fail in the end :frown5:

I allso find Euron Greyjoy and Roose Bolton to be interesting villains. I don't sympathise with them but I like reading about them as they have a way of "spicing up" the story.

I allso liked old Walder Frey and his brood before he turned stupid-evil. Now I'm just indifferent about him.

Yeah, Tywin is my favorite also. He's certainly not a good person, but I also don't consider him nearly as evil or nasty as Roose, Ramsay, or Gregor. He's incredibly good at what he does as either Hand to Joffrey or commanding the Lannisters in the War of the Five Kings. I like how practical he is throughout the series, and he's the only character that gets the better of Tyrion in every exchange up until the end.

I'd also say Joffrey is a good villain, just because of how detestable he is in every situation. And Ramsay definitely wins for the most evil villain in the entire series.

As far as creepy villains go, Roose is way up there with his whispery voice, penchant for leeches, pale eyes, and Hannibal Lecter like demeanor. Plus, as the OP mentions, his castle is the Dreadfort where he flays people alive. Qyburn is also a good disturbing villain; grandfatherly manner, though he spends his time hanging out with the bloody mummers, torturing, and conducting gross experiments.

Underrated villain: Rorge. Really nasty character, probably worse than Gregor. It's also one of my favorite moments when he shows up with the Hound's helm at the inn in AFFC; after hearing about all his nasty deeds, that was a chilling entrance.

Least favorite villains: I'll just throw this in here; not a fan at all of the Astapori slavers. They're just a little too over the top barbaric and evil, plus they lose points for being so stupid in giving Dany all of their unsullied and not seeing that attack coming.

Archived