State determines preschooler's home packed lunch not good enough... supplements with chicken nuggets meal/or four year old doesn't like bag lunch

Ser Scot A Ellison

FLOW, seriously, there IS NO REGULATION mandating this. A score is collected for parental information ONLY. This pre-K program wasn't doing so well, partly because of the nutrition issue.

It's a perfect analogy to U.S. News rankings of law schools. If your school is like mine, there was heavy, heavy pressure to be sure that you took a bar prep course, and to be sure that you reported your employment information, because screwing up either of those things really hurt their stats. However, that does not mean there is a GOVERNMENT REGULATION mandating that I take a bar course. The rankings given by the state don't have the force of law - they are just guidelines for parents. Note they rate daycare facilities also.

How many times do I have to say this?

OTOH, including the lunches packed by other parents in the ranking of the school for parental information is arguably dumb - or less so when you consider that improperly nurished children are little madhouses of ADHD.

I think the key argument here is "Stay the hell out of my kids lunch". With in reason of course. Butter/sugar sandwiches aside. The fact whether the child is manipulating the truth, the "inspector" is government or not (which they are whether independent contracted or not is taking government money thus is sanctioned by a governing body), none of that is relevent. IF a kid has a bag lunch... hands the fuck off! Only if repeated extremes of what is considered inappropiate (I say that knowing everyone has there own "line" of appropriate) lunch is "observed" should the parents or applicable department be notified and discussions insue.

All the rest of this back and forth is symantics that bare no relevence to the issue at hand.... there I said it.

And screw that food pyramind too! Nazis telling parents what to feed their children.

Tell you what, next time, they'll bring in fake plastic food models and have the children assemble a "lunch" and then make changes as necessary instead of using, you know, their actual fucking food. Would that assuage your feelings?

The food pyramid is suggestive and is not an enforceable policy. I'm not saying I disagree with it, only that it's not going to work for everyone, which seems the "inspector" is attempting to do anyway.

I'll not be baited by your extremes. I don't believe it addes anything to the discussion.

Right. So nobody should mess with a home-packed lunch unless it's really, really bad. Yes, you have added quite a bit to the discussion, it's true.

Right. So nobody should mess with a home-packed lunch unless it's really, really bad.

Yes, although I will concede that if school staff would like to discuss it with me, I invite them to.

Yes, you have added quite a bit to the discussion, it's true.

I've added what I felt were valid clear points... that is, instead of blathering irrelevencies.

I actually have a child that packs a lunch daily, that also does NOT fit within the guidelines of what's stated in the article. I believe it's well within what is consider well balance and nutritious and also something she will eat. I'll not have some overzealous, USDA guideline thumper, come along and 1) think it's within their right to invade my daughters privacy to inspect her lunch and 2) judge my choices of what is consider a quality lunch. The very fact that you or anyone else presumes to tell me her lunch is unsatifactory goes beyond reason. I'm sorry you do not agree, that is your right.

I applaud the dept of your investigation on this, and I agree with your reasoning. What I don't agree is that it's relevent. This is a matter of school administration stepping into the realm of what I consider parental domain and yea I have a beef with that. I take great pains to make sure my daughter is healthy. What she eats is between me and her. There is an obvious line between what is healthly and what is not, but only when the situation is to an extreme degree should anyone one else "force" an alternative and ONLY after the matter is exhaustively discussed with the childs parents/guadian.

Please explain...

Did not read thread, etc etc.

You know what though? Part of the reason the issue in this thread is so misunderstood is because Scot, who is normally so lawyerly about shit he's trying to defend, now doesn't think accuracy or honesty is really all that important, or maybe not as important as capturing the incandescent rage he felt at the idea of a Government Functionary rappelling from a black helicopter to steal a child's home-made food to shove corporate government-subsidized food down a child's throat.

Did not read thread, etc etc.

You know what though? Part of the reason the issue in this thread is so misunderstood is because Scot, who is normally so lawyerly about shit he's trying to defend, now doesn't think accuracy or honesty is really all that important, or maybe not as important as capturing the incandescent rage he felt at the idea of a Government Functionary rappelling from a black helicopter to steal a child's home-made food to shove corporate government-subsidized food down a child's throat.

I agree there was some misleading/misquoting in the original article. However the issue is no less valid. Upon my own investigation I found that a school in Chicago (near where I live) completely BANS home packed lunches... :bs: And what has happened is now some children have stopped eating lunch because the school provided food is crap. Which seems IS completely counter productive to the point of the ban. Anyway...

No dude. He was talking about you. I could have "Giant Purple Penis Hat" in my title and it would still be the case that you didn't read the thread.

am I missing something? I in fact did read the thread and have been following it from inception. If you can offer more valid reason why you disagree or why you think I'm off point, I'm listening.

Archived