State determines preschooler's home packed lunch not good enough... supplements with chicken nuggets meal/or four year old doesn't like bag lunch

Ser Scot A Ellison

oh aoife. i just started to read them and had to stop. i am so ashamed of my country sometimes. these right-wing fundamentalist evangelicals who yell about obama being a commie/nazi/freedom hater scare the crap out of me. sometimes i think it would be better to have a republican president, if only to keep these people happy so they don't unload their gun-bunkers and kill us all. the only problem is then we'd have a republican president.

"These “Inspectors” could taint the food, and I know this is farfetched, but could Poison the food. Who do they work for?? It‘s not that I don’t trust the Gov,, BUT I DON”T"

OMG, they're giving the kids the original 4LOKO along with their chicken nuggest OF DOOM....

"These “Inspectors” could taint the food, and I know this is farfetched, but could Poison the food. Who do they work for?? It‘s not that I don’t trust the Gov,, BUT I DON”T"

To be fair, if your government is run by a Kenyan Muslim terrorist who was endorsed as the president illegally on the order of the Illuminati to hasten their plan to establish the New World Order, you wouldn't trust them to touch your children's food, either.

One of the concerns that is raised in this thread is that those meals aren't of terribly high quality because quality food is expensive.

When Jamie Oliver did his revolutinising school meals in the UK thing (which he failed miserably to repeat in the USA, due to quite stunning levels of apathy from parents and teachers about what their kids ate, at least in that one school that was featured), this excuse was trotted out repeatedly to justify the poor quality of food in British schools. He demonstrated it was possible to get fresher, healthier food for the same price or, in some cases, cheaper. Certainly the quality of the school meals in my gf's son's school is light-years improved beyond the cardboard chips and plastic chicken I got at primary school.

Schools buy in huge volumes of food, which in return reduces the price overall. So once you have a few schools switching to buying healthier food en masse from supplies, prices would come down. I don't see why that wouldn't be the case in the USA as it is in the UK.

Christ what a cluster fuck of a news story. Okay, I did more research and apparently I'm wrong - Chapel Hill denies sending anyone over there as of 9:20pm last night. Prior, they weren't saying one way or the other and they have a program for doing this that I linked earlier. Anyway:

http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclusives/display_exclusive.html?id=8777

The media reported that NC DHHS denied any involvement, but of course what they actually said is here:

http://dig.abclocal.go.com/wtvd/docs/20120215231055.pdf

They said no DHHS employee or contractor directed children to replace or remove food items. It is only the policy to supplement. Note it also says that DCDEE consultants and contractors visit pre-K classrooms to advise and educate about USDA meal guidelines.

Here are the consultants:

http://ncchildcare.dhhs.state.nc.us/pdf_forms/DCDEE_Education_Consultants_for_NC_PreKSept2011.pdf

So, the likely perp is Mia Sherard. Googling her name brings up no relevant hits, so maybe the cat isn't out of the bag? Note, Sherard is not a "state agent." Under the guidelines, her job is "conduct site visits to NC Pre-K programs to review Site Tool and monitor for compliance with child care requirements."

See section D: http://ncchildcare.dhhs.state.nc.us/pdf_forms/NCPre-KProgramReq8242011.pdf

This is in between the preparation of the initial assessment and the submission of the final assessment. It's a very development-oriented process. All I'm taking away from this news story is that I'm impressed with North Carolina's commitment to children, especially disadvantaged children.

Here is the assessment tool: http://ncchildcare.dhhs.state.nc.us/pdf_forms/NCPre-KSiteMonitoringTool2011-2012.pdf

This is D2:

Breakfast and/or snacks and lunch meet

USDA requirements.

Someone in North Carolina hear me!!! Please change item D2 on the Pre-K Assessment Tool to read "Breakfast, snacks, and lunch provided by the organization meet USDA requirements."

(It fixes an irrelevant part of your rating code, doesn't interfere with authority of a parent over their child, and fixes your original really bad grammar!)

People of the Board unite! Let us march on the capitol of North Carolina and with signs that demand a 4-word addition to section D2 of the Pre-K Assessment Tool, with one replacement of and/or to and, and proper utilization of commas for lists!!!! Who is with me???!?!?!

You Yanks just wouldnt listen to Jamie. Dancing with the Stars was just more important!

Well, more entertaining, maybe. Jamie Oliver is kind of a pretentious douchebag, and I wouldn't have wanted to watch him shame people into crying either. Especially after the first season, where he couldn't meet the nutritional guidelines with twice the budget - and a large number of the kids ended up dropping out of the school lunch program because they hated his food so much. (Maybe not as much of an impact elsewhere, but something like 80 or 85% of the kids in that school in WV relied on the subsidised school lunches.)

That letter is crazy. I'm sure that my school packed lunch never met such requirements, mostly because we drank water and never had milk. (curse you Margaret Thatcher!)

Again, it's the USDA guidelines. While they're certainly arguable, NC decided that all of its pre-K programs must meet these guidelines at meals. In order for the school to keep its current level of "Star Rated License", this means that pre-packed lunches must also meet the guidelines. A letter was sent out to the parents after the school's annual review. If you went to a program in NC as a 4-year old, particularly in this one for at-risk kids, the school would have to provide you with milk, even if you never, ever brought it. (With noted exemptions for religious or medical dietary restrictions, as already covered.)

ETA: Wert, see reply to Tyr. Jaime had the best of intentions, but it wasn't just a matter of the parents refusing to listen. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that's part of it, but it's ultimately that the whole system is just broken, basically. What was going on after the first series.

Not sure yet. Read the first link and tell me what you think. This is tough to parse out when the involved parties aren't saying anything and all we've got is the word of two four year olds. All we know is that the school was committed to improving the nutritional quality of home-packed lunches, and somebody was there and did something. I'd say your title is more accurate than it was before though.

Do kids at that age even need-need lunch? Breakfast at 8, dinner at 4, supper at 8, maybe a tiny snack somewhere in between there.

PA - this schedule intrigues me, it is very different in the states (and in europe too, i believe?). do you mind me asking where you grew up?

This is the kind of thing that makes me glad I do not have children. I am not a picky eater and wasn't even in childhood, and I can't imagine coping with one (or more).

I wonder...how do the parents here feel about schools serving junk food? I never understood why cafeterias need to sell chicken nuggets, pizza or cheesesteaks. I don't suggest school districts hire a chef to produce a Thai-French fusion menu, but there has to be something in the middle. If I had kids, I don't think I'd relish the notion of them having daily access to junk food.

My high school cafeteria was nothing like that. It had two things going for it that really helped one being a foods program that meant the cafeteria was being worked mostly by grade 11 and 12 students, So free labour. Another was a really high quality chef that moved here to raise his family. Now while elementary schools don't have these options any high school could implement option one.

Of course my school would have had no way of enforcing a nutritional policy seeing as it was situated literally right beside the local mall.

Also a limit to how many likes one can use is bullshit. I used all mine up before even finishing reading this thread.

Archived