NYC BWB Meetup in March - Just like the Giants, we play in NJ

naz

Continuing from the previous NYC thread, I'm proud to give you (drumroll):

TOP TEN REASONS FOR HAVING OUR NEXT MEETUP IN BEAUTIFUL HOBOKEN, NJ!!

10. We might run into Eli Manning. For real. He lives 5 blocks away.

9. What better place to talk about our 2012 baseball season expectations than in the birthplace of baseball itself?

8. Potential Snooki sightings? Okay, so maybe this isn't a very good selling point.

7. Every bar in Hoboken inevitably plays a Frank Sinatra song at some point in the night, which we can all drunkenly sing along to. Okay, fine... this list isn't actually getting better.

6. Unlike the rest of the bars in Hoboken, this one is actually NOT full of hormone-crazed yuppies tryin' to score.

5. Yo La Tengo. Sonic Youth. Need I say more?

4. All the annoying bridge-and-tunnelers will be hanging out in the Village. Yes, it's true... in order to avoid encountering NJ guidos and guidettes, we actually STAY in NJ. Smart, eh?

3. The PATH is not as hot, sticky, or stinky as it is during other parts of the year.

2. George RR Martin is from New Jersey. So NJ-haters - "Va fangool!"

1. Bratwurst! German craft beers! Pretzels!

Seriously though, this was a discussion we had in the last meetup in January. For those of you that weren't there or who didn't read the other thread, we had an idea to have our next meetup at the new-ish Pilsener Haus beer garden in uptown Hoboken. Yeah, it's in New Jersey and that automatically tends to make New Yorkers crinkle up their noses, but hey, why not take a ride on the PATH and give it a shot. It's a great, roomy beer garden with good food and beer and it has nice big tables and benches where a larger group can sit and chat comfortably. And it's max 20-30 minutes from midtown; very easy to get to. It's not like we're asking you to drive down to Atlantic City or something.

Potential dates are Thursdays in March. I can't make the 8th, and Jade can't make the 1st. Any other suggestions? Fridays are also a possibility. One advantage to later in March is that it might be warm enough to sit outdoors, but that's no guarantee.

Just remembered Thursdays are bad for me, totally forgot I do volunteer work Thursday nights, and it's a pain in the ass to have someone cover. That's what the call of beer does to me- I forget all other responsibilities :drunk: ... So, Friday nights I can do!

And, I love Hoboken! Used to live in a mosquito infested squat on 1st back in the late 80's.. Good times, really!

5. Yo La Tengo. Sonic Youth. Need I say more?

. :)

Had no idea Sonic Youth had a Hoboken connection, actually.

No issues with Thursdays or Fridays. The bonus of Friday is there's no worry about getting up for work the next day. The bad part of Fridays is we're certainly not the only ones to think of that.

As I mentioned in the other thread, Thursdays are far better for me personally (family commitments and Lunacon occupy the first four Fridays of March). The Pilsner Haus looks like a fantastic venue, too. It also saves me $12 in tunnel tolls + parking since I live in North Jersey.

Another thought, how about meeting up early on Sunday, April 1st, a few hours before the S2 premiere?

. :)

Had no idea Sonic Youth had a Hoboken connection, actually.

Steve Shelley (SY drummer) was pretty instrumental in bringing Maxwell's back from yuppie brewpub hell. I don't know if he's still part-owner, but they play rare shows there. Not as much as YLT, but it happens. Also, SY used to rehearse in the space below where I used to work. They were kind enough to start after 5pm (management agreement or something), but hell, I wouldn't have minded.

re: Meetup - Hmmm.... we should figure out this whole Thur/Fri thing. Not sure how to decide. I'm good either way. The April 1 idea sounds interesting, though.

I actually went to Hoboken recently. after all these years it was the first time I went there, to see a band I like at The Whiskey Bar. I liked it. Its easy to get to. who knew? (Ok, I realize that I'm probably the only person who didn't know.)

weekends are often bad for us but we'll be around on Mar 16 and given another date I can try and plan for it. I can usually do Thursdays. Thanks Naz for trying to include me!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm cool with meeting up next week. Looking at previous posts, Friday Mar 16 seems to suit everyone except Osis and potentially Xray, and frankly... I love the rest of y'all, but if we have to have another meetup without a right proper complement of X's, then I'd just rather stay home and sulk.

Whereas Thursday Mar 15 seems to work for everyone except fitheach. So, guys... what'll it be? Can any of you adjust your schedule either way toward a Thursday or Friday? I'm fine either way.

Honestly, no. That's why beer gardens are great -- they're supposed to be for families to hang out and play board or card games while having a couple of beers and some food. Every beer garden I've been to in the States and in Germany was this way. That said, this being the U.S., one should check the venue's policy on under-21s.

I will not be able to make next Thursday, but have an excellent time!

Honestly, no. That's why beer gardens are great -- they're supposed to be for families to hang out and play board or card games while having a couple of beers and some food. Every beer garden I've been to in the States and in Germany was this way. That said, this being the U.S., one should check the venue's policy on under-21s.

I will not be able to make next Thursday, but have an excellent time!

Yeah when I bartended in London it was the same, family pubs. But her mom is very mid-western American and isn't cool with alcohol (religious), she'd see it as taking her daughter to the den of Satan.. Yep, really.. So I'd rather avoid the hassle of a meltdown if my niece slips and mentions anything.

I'll find other ways to corrupt her :D.

I'll be there for the next Jersey beer garden throwdown.

Edit: Not to belittle mid westerners, you know what I mean.

Well, all of a sudden I may be traveling abroad from this Friday to next, so the next two weeks don't look like they're happening for me. It's a shame because the weather just got awesomer this week and a beer garden would've been great.

If you guys do it now, then all the best. If not, then maybe when I get back.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm assuming nothing happened while I was away. How does this Thursday sound? March 29th? Any other options? April 5th is a no-go for me because I'll be at Opening Day for the Mets, but other than that I think I'm clear for all other Thursdays or Fridays.

Archived