How Does Dany Not Know? (Spoilers)

Drowsey Dragon

Even though she is never mentioned in AFFC, why has the knowledge of Maestor Aemon eluded her all this time? We know he died before making the journey to her once her relized the prophecy was about her. If she knew of him, perhaps she would have journeyed to the wall or made contact with him before he passed away.

Why didn't Jorah or Ser Barristan tell her. They must have known about him and his history. He was her last living relative and could have revealed so much to her. I first thought it was because no one really knew Aemon was a Targ, but by the end of AFFC it seems to be known by many who Aemon was. I so wish they could have reunited, if only briefly.

I think it's because she and Viserys were both just SO young when whisked away during the battle when all the Targaryens were slaughtered. They just assumed every one of them was dead because that's what they were told. It must have looked that way to the people who took them at that point.

I'm pretty sure it's also because once someone goes to the Wall, they're supposed to forget about family - and most times the family would like to forge about them. It sounded as if only a handful of people knew he was a Targaryen, even on the Wall... and most people who are sent to the wall are there for a reason. The Targs were such a powerful family that they probably didn't want to speak of Aemon for choosing that life - or in other words, once he left, they disowned him and never talked about him again. If they never spoke of him and he never told anyone... well, he's as old as most of the dirt in Westeros, so he's probably been forgotten/over-looked through the years, so he's unknown by the considerably young men like Jorah and Barristan. That's my theory anyway. But yes, you'd think someone would think "Hey, whatever happened to that one Aemon...?"

I'd like to see him meet Dany too. And see the dragons. It just doesn't sound as though he actually cares that much. It seems like he wants to remember how things were long ago for them, not what they are in the present. Even if he can't do much for her, he's a pretty cool character and I think it'd make him happy to see real dragons again before he dies.

I think it's because she and Viserys were both just SO young when whisked away during the battle when all the Targaryens were slaughtered. They just assumed every one of them was dead because that's what they were told. It must have looked that way to the people who took them at that point.

I'm pretty sure it's also because once someone goes to the Wall, they're supposed to forget about family - and most times the family would like to forge about them. It sounded as if only a handful of people knew he was a Targaryen, even on the Wall... and most people who are sent to the wall are there for a reason. The Targs were such a powerful family that they probably didn't want to speak of Aemon for choosing that life - or in other words, once he left, they disowned him and never talked about him again. If they never spoke of him and he never told anyone... well, he's as old as most of the dirt in Westeros, so he's probably been forgotten/over-looked through the years, so he's unknown by the considerably young men like Jorah and Barristan. That's my theory anyway. But yes, you'd think someone would think "Hey, whatever happened to that one Aemon...?"

I'd like to see him meet Dany too. And see the dragons. It just doesn't sound as though he actually cares that much. It seems like he wants to remember how things were long ago for them, not what they are in the present. Even if he can't do much for her, he's a pretty cool character and I think it'd make him happy to see real dragons again before he dies.

I like what you wrote and I agree most people do not know who he really is, but people in powerful positions do know. For certain Ser Barristan must know, he was very close to the Targs under the Mad King and fought with Rhegar. Maybe in ADWD he will tell Dany.

I don't think it was a secret. On the Wall, people don't discuss their families often. And I guess that the older they get, the less they speak about it. But I'm sure everybody knows the background of the men around them on the Wall. It might just take a few weeks or months until you know those stories. I think Jon found out that Maester Aemon was a Targaryen pretty quickly after he joined the Night's Watch.

Aemon was already old when Robert's Rebellion happened. He must have been 85 years already. I can see why people didn't turn to Aemon for help at the time. What could an old man do ?

Aemon is also a man of the Night's Watch. They can't leave their post. They can't get involved with issues south of the Wall. People know that. Going to a man of the Night's Watch, and ask him for help, is like asking him to run the risk of being beheaded. What can a man of the Night's Watch do ?

I'm sure Viserys would have known about his great-grand uncle. But would he like the help of Maester Aemon ? I doubt it. Viserys was a very ambitious, very aggressive, over-confident kid. He thought he could rule the world. I don't think he would have liked to share power, or even share reputation with anyone. Not even his uncle. I think that if Illyrion Mopatis had suggested to Viserys to go get help from Aemon, Viserys would have refused. And Danny was just too young to get involved in anything. She might have known of Aemon's existance. But by the time she got a bit more independent (when Viserys died), she had other problems to handle.

Why didn't Jorah or Ser Barristan tell her. They must have known about him and his history. He was her last living relative and could have revealed so much to her. I first thought it was because no one really knew Aemon was a Targ, but by the end of AFFC it seems to be known by many who Aemon was. I so wish they could have reunited, if only briefly.

I don't know. Ser Barristan's a knight, and probably didn't pay too much attention to what goes on in the Night's Watch. Same for Jorah. Even if they did hear, the wall's maester isn't really that significant. Even Aemon says he's been forgotten.

This is an interesting question, and it brings up another. Why so few Targs in general? The family existed for hundreds of years shouldn't their more than just the Kings immediate family?

There probably are but they're not explicitly mentioned. The Baratheons have Targ blood though, that's been noted.

I don't know. Ser Barristan's a knight, and probably didn't pay too much attention to what goes on in the Night's Watch. Same for Jorah. Even if they did hear, the wall's maester isn't really that significant. Even Aemon says he's been forgotten.

There probably are but they're not explicitly mentioned. The Baratheons have Targ blood though, that's been noted.

I think it would have been very significant for Dany to know of him. All she knows of her family and history was from Viserys. Now it is from Ser Barristan.

This is an interesting question, and it brings up another. Why so few Targs in general? The family existed for hundreds of years shouldn't their more than just the Kings immediate family?

I suppose that incest doesn't help to develop many branches in the family.

That is an interesting question indeed.

But maybe it's not that surprising.

1) The Targaryens came from Valeria. Only 300 years before the beginning of ASOIAF. That is not that long. Compare them to the Starks. I think the Starks started with Brandon the Builder, who built the Wall 8000 years earlier. That's quite a difference. 300 years versus 8000 years. The Targaryens are relatively newcommers.

2) The Targaryens like to marry amongst themselves. Normally people marry strangers. Their DNA gets spread around a lot. But it dillutes every generation. The Targaryens did it the other way around. They kept their DNA more pure. But that implies that it doesn't spread as much. In other words: "they put all their eggs in one basket". This is risky. Every time a Targaryen dies before he had kids, that has a huge impact on the survivability of the family.

3) And the Targaryens did have a lot of accidents. Not only Robert's Revolution. But also before that. Look at the story of Maester Aemon. They wanted to make him king, because all the other candidates had died, or were nuts. Maekar killed his brother Bealon. Baelons kids died of the plague. Aerys I died because he ate wildfire because he thought he was a dragon. Etc, etc. Every accident is much more important than in families who marry normally.

But yes, you are right. There should have been more Targaryen family members. Now I also wonder what happened to them.

A quick google search revealed this tree.

http://towerofthehand.com/reference/t/targaryen.html

There are all these branches that should have yielded a lot of relatives.

Look how few Starks there are - only Ned, Benjen and Ned's children. All others are apparently dead, and the closest relatives with Stark blood are some cousins thrice removed (or something like that) in the Vale. It's for plot convenience, same as the Targs,

As for Aemon, I think nearly everyone in Westeros has assumed he's dead by old age by now or simply forgotten about him. He's been outside of the public eye for an awful long time and he was extremely old.

3) And the Targaryens did have a lot of accidents. Not only Robert's Revolution. But also before that. Look at the story of Maester Aemon. They wanted to make him king, because all the other candidates had died, or were nuts. Maekar killed his brother Bealon. Baelons kids died of the plague. Aerys I died because he ate wildfire because he thought he was a dragon. Etc, etc. Every accident is much more important than in families who marry normally.

No, it was Aerion (Maekar's son and Egg's older brother) that died drinking wildfire.

Aerys I was not mad.

No, it was Aerion (Maekar's son and Egg's older brother) that died drinking wildfire.

Aerys I was not mad.

Sorry, you are right.

I just had a quick look at the pedigree, and I picked the wrong Targ.

(Totally unrelated. I have read The Hedgeknight last week. I'm waiting for the release of the Dutch translation of the 2nd book of ADWD. It should arrive in the mail on Monday. :) But I should have known better, after reading The Hedgeknight).

No, no, no.... first I don't know why it's said that Dany doesn't know about Aemon, maybe she does.... if she doesn't it's simply because her brother never tried to teach her the history of Westors. I think anyone that had any real teacher, would know about maester Aemon, so pretty much everyone in the Citadel knows, all the noble in Westeros..... even Jon knew about him, only he didn't make the connections before. It was not a shameful thing for Aemon to go to the wall, quite the contrary!! He was sent with an honor guard to the wall, by his brother Egg... how could that be seen as anything else then an honorful act?? He was accompanied by Bloodraven, I am sure they stopped to all the major castles on the road.... just like Yohn Royce did with Waymar Royce....

Even more, Aemon is extremly respected at the Citadel.... do you really think that the maesters don't know who he is??? The thing is that he is a brother of the Night's Watch, he is cut from the politics of Westeros, even more then any other brother, because he gave up more than all of them combined :)).

Dany is just an ignorant teenager, exactly like Jon :)), the perfect couple. So don't mistake their ignorance for anyone elses (excuse my English, it's not my native language)

It's not that people don't know who he is, it's just that people don't recognize him as a Targaryen. Dany believes that she's the only Targaryen, because that's what everyone has told her. That's just a fact.

The Targaryens were strong warriors, raised to rule. Even if he was sent to the Wall with honors, and respected at the citadel, he was doing the complete opposite of what most of them were raised to do.

I picture him as...well, to be honest, a bit like me with my family. That slightly odd relative who really couldn't care less about their politics and such, and would rather go off by myself to read. ((This is most likely why I wasn't too popular in high school, but that's besides the point :P)) Rather then play the game of thrones, Aemon seems to have been more interested in history and books... just knowledge in general. Perhaps they would be discussing something at dinner, and Aemon would sit quietly until something amused him, then break in with an odd quip about something from history or a book to correct them. There would be an awkward silence until someone cleared their throat to say "Yes...anyway..." Basically Aemon sounds, to me, like a nerd Targaryen.

I went to the Wiki to look him up. He was sent to the Wall because King Daeron Targaryen II had too many children. Aemon was young then and expendable. He wasn't anything like the rest of them, so the Targaryens were probably glad to see him go. They probably knew his thirst for something different and assumed he'd be happy. He was actually taken back years later to serve in King's Landing... he was even offered the crown! Aemon, being a dragon of a different color, decided he liked to serve more then rule. He was afraid that something terrible was about to happen in King's Landing at that time, so went to the Wall on his own.

I think that because of his love for knowledge, not wanting the crown and running to the Wall, the Targs would have seen this as craven, compared to the rest of the family. They seem like the type of family to look at a person's actions, not their motives. He didn't want to be pawn in their plot, so he took off. So yes, I don't think the Targs would be too proud to admit he was one of them... after all, he was sent to the Citadel for the sole purpose of getting rid of Targ heirs! His family clearly didn't want him around, and called him back only when it was convenient for them. It's no wonder the family itself never talk about him, as far as they were concerned, he didn't exist.

On the Wall, who you are obviously isn't some massive secret - but you're supposed to forget who you were. I'm sure Aemon was more then happy to do so. It's not like his being a Targ was some sort of deep dark secret that Jon wasn't supposed to know. Actually, the fact is that old Aemon has been on the Wall for so long, and he's never had reason to tell anyone who he was, so everyone there at present has literally forgotten that he's a Targ. That or the older people like Mormont knew and just didn't care too much, as old families mean nothing to them.

It's funny that every Targ thinks they're the last one. Aemon thought he was until he heard about Dany and her dragons.

I was so sad when he passed away!! The poor old guy went all that way just to try to meet her and he couldn't make it. All he wanted was to see a dragon one last time :(

But I wouldn't call Dany ignorant. I think to call someone ignorant makes them sound as if they're being stupid on purpose. I loved Robb, but he was someone I'd call brave but ignorant - he just wouldn't listen and his bravery and need to be noble got the better of him, as it did his father. Dany has to believe what people tell her about her history because there's no way she can find out for herself at this point in time. If they hold things back from her, that isn't her fault.

((And yes, she and Jon would be so cute together! And little baby dragons :)))

Archived