Stannis Baratheon becoming a Northman

David C. Hunter

Except that Donal Noye is full of shit there. Robert the true steel? No, just no. Renly copper? True, but he based that estimation on an eight-year-old he has last seen fifteen years ago. Stannis doesn't bend? Except to Davos and Jon on page, and some more off page, when their advice makes sense.

Honestly, the only reason Donal Noye's statement gets any credit at all is the "wise, old, dead mentor" trope.

You think GRRM agrees with you that Donal is full of shit?

Robert was the true steel during the Rebellion, but he went to shit just like Donal said. Stannis listening to his counselors a couple of times does not negate his brittleness as a strong character trait.

There used to be one, 'twas not only locked but deleted. :dunce: The best ones from that thread was posted here.

That's just wrong on so many levels! That link is awesome.

My favorite: Storm’s End was Storm’s Beginning before Stannis Baratheon told it to stop.

You think GRRM agrees with you that Donal is full of shit?

Robert was the true steel during the Rebellion, but he went to shit just like Donal said. Stannis listening to his counselors a couple of times does not negate his brittleness as a strong character trait.

I think GRRM likes to point out biases and tropes, putting them with the right side up. And the only reason Donal Noye's statement is taken for granted is a trope. There is no logical explanation why someone who hasn't seen them for fifteen years and wasn't exactly a peer then, would be a legitimate source on them now. Especially in the case of Renly.

I think GRRM likes to point out biases and tropes, putting them with the right side up. And the only reason Donal Noye's statement is taken for granted is a trope. There is no logical explanation why someone who hasn't seen them for fifteen years and wasn't exactly a peer then, would be a legitimate source on them now. Especially in the case of Renly.

:agree:

I take it as the author speaking through the character. Other people echo his thoughts on Renly - Jaime for instance with his "The best dressed, maybe" or even Catelyn with all her talk of games and the knights of summer.

EDIT: Ned echoes Donal's opinion on Robert as well, and he knew him better than anyone

I take it as the author speaking through the character. Other people echo his thoughts on Renly - Jaime for instance with his "The best dressed, maybe" or even Catelyn with all her talk of games and the knights of summer.

EDIT: Ned echoes Donal's opinion on Robert as well, and he knew him better than anyone

Partially, maybe. Or rather, the public image of the three Baratheon brothers. But especially in the case of Stannis, GRRM shows the public image and the first impressions to be wrong or to change.

• 6 months later...

If I am not mistaken, Ned changed Robert's last words about his successor from Joffrey to rightful heir. After Ned did his research from the book about Robert's offspring, he knew that Stannis was the legitimate heir to the Throne. I know Ned sent ravens out about this but to whom. Is there anyone in the North that knows Ned supported Stannis as the next King? I am guessing they didn't because the bannerman all made Robb King of the North. If the Northern Houses ever found out what Ned knew, would they rally around Stannis? Probably have some holes here but just trying to think through this angle.

The Northern lords care nothing for the Iron Throne anymore - they value their independence.

The Kingsmoot is done. There won't be another, as the Ironmen will probably be decimated in the coming wars, thanks to Euron's megalomania.

Agreed. I would always describe this series to people "seven families arguing over a parking space while a hurricane bears down on them." I think one of the larger, overarching themes of the entire series is that the king makes the throne, the throne doesn't make the king. That's how it was at the start of the series, the throne making the king, and look where we were - corruption, incest, betrayal, etc. I think what we're starting to see and where we're going is the king making the throne. We got our first taste of it with the Dothraki and the implications of Robert's Rebellion. In the Theon Gift chapter Stannis sits in that old rickety chair and makes it a throne.

Extended to the Kingsmoot, I think Asha is going to have to learn now that thrones don't make you king. Theon's death would certainly be a catalyst for her doing so. Hmm, thinking out loud, maybe that's why the hbo series gave Yara a more pro-active role in getting Theon back from Bolton so early on in the series, they do know the broad strokes of where this is all going.

i dont think Stannis will become a norhtman, i mean why? he thinks he is the rightful king of all westeros. and he never gives up on a target. maybe hell change his mind on that whole azor azhai thing,but he definetly wont give up the iron throne to become the lord of some place in the north that he doesnt care about.

• 3 months later...

To me much of where Stannis ends up is a mystery. I really do think he is doomed. There has been the Steel, Copper and Iron forshadowing so to speak. He sees himself in a vision burning alive. Then if we look at the position he is in, although at times things may looks to be on the up for him. This is usually when GRRM comes and pulls the rug out. Of course the NK theories are also well documented.

I think there are too many ifs and but's for him to become king or at least living too long should he ever make it to the the iron throne. I mean when you look at all the players he really isn't one of the biggest in the story. I could see them doing something like him getting killed the day he wins the Iron throne. If he does somehow survive the whole story I could see him being sent to the wall.

Don't get me wrong I love me some Stannis and I think he remembers how Stark and Baretheon have been close friends in the past and how that helped the realm. I think the North remebers that too. He seems to really like Jon...well as much as Stannis likes anyone...more like respect.

I don't think both Asha and Theon will live, I could see him trying to subdue the Iron Islands if he survies the Batlle of ice and if the North rallies to him. The Iron Born are a prickly lot, and they would have an axe in his back in no time. Of course if the others are in play, I can't just see him going after the Throne.

The wall looks to be in chaos, he has troops that seems to be at each others throats not to mention the wildlings. His downfall or potential rise depending on how you look at it, will be if he be able to get these people to work together? His brothers might have been able to but can he?

I also wonder if he will try and reclaim the storm lands or at least dragonstone to get the dragon glass?

very excited to see what happens next

Archived