From Pawn to Player? Rereading Sansa III

brashcandy

I don't think she'll get back anything that she left behind in King's Landing. Surely, once it became clear that Sansa had disappeared and would not be returning any time soon, her maids were ordered to clean out her room and dispose of her things in one way or another.

It's amusing to imagine the reaction of her maids when they went through her chest and found that bloody, smoky, pukey cloak at the bottom. The looks on their faces must have been priceless. "...the fuck is this? That girl was weird."

Yeah, poor Sansa. Between that and the pyro bedding event, her maids must have been giving her some weird looks.

@LadyoftheNorth,

There's an argument to be made that he did have hope, and that's why he stuck around the Riverlands, and was trying to seek employment with Robb. But the news of her marriage to Tyrion seemed to have completely crushed and deflated whatever fledgling hopes he had.

Dear all:

As you're probably aware, there a ban on discussion of San/San particularly as it relates to romantic possibilities, etc. I would hope that the mods would consider our thread an exception since we are doing a re-read, but I still want to caution all posters here to please stick to the chapter facts and details at hand. I will of course try to do the same ;)

Forgive me for a slightly romantic ramble here, but in some ways Sandor almost reminds me of Rhett Butler (although Sansa is certainly no Scarlett).

I agree with much of what you've said here, but the image of Sandor as Rhett Butler has done me in for the day, I think. When you laugh so hard you get the dry heaves, it really is painful.

Dear all:

As you're probably aware, there a ban on discussion of San/San particularly as it relates to romantic possibilities, etc. I would hope that the mods would consider our thread an exception since we are doing a re-read, but I still want to caution all posters here to please stick to the chapter facts and details at hand. I will of course try to do the same ;)

Are you guys ready for the next chapter then, to get out of dangerous territory?

I just wanted to note: I have just been made aware of the mod banning of discussions regarding San/San specific threads. I am not sure if it applies to this one since we are doing a character arc reread, and it would be almost impossible to do without discussing the things that transpire between them in their scenes together; or if it is just discussion that speculatively puts them together in more intimate ways that are inappropriate. In any case, I apologize if my previous post violated board rules, I was not aware that the topic of San/San had become a touchy one or that there were bans in place on certain types of discussion.

To Rapsie and Brashcandy, do we need perhaps to get the mods' approval to continue discussing this scene in context, or consider ending it and moving forward to the next chapter to avoid the thread being shut down? I would hate to think that something I posted contributed to the locking of our discussion.

Please do not remove your post LadyoftheNorth :) And as you noted, I would hope the mods understand that as this is a re-read thread, discussion of San/San is unavoidable. I think what they want is no shipping speculation and stuff along those lines. Anyways, we're moving on soon, so...

Also, I have edited my previous post to try to comply with the board rules regarding discussions of Sandor and Sansa, as best I understand them.

As far as Sandor being similar to Rhett Butler ...okay, I give you that he doesn't have the wardrobe or charm or looks lol. I just meant the comparison in the context of them both jiving along, doing their own thing and caring not one whit about anyone except themselves, when suddenly they are struck with feelings they neither want nor have a clue what to do with. But glad I could give you a chuckle! lol

And to those who still want to talk about that scene, feel free. We have always endeavoured to remind posters to discuss the current chapters without jumping ahead, and that remains as pertinent as ever. Discussion of the dynamics of that night is still relevant to understanding Sansa's development.

Please do not remove your post LadyoftheNorth :) And as you noted, I would hope the mods understand that as this is a re-read thread, discussion of San/San is unavoidable. I think what they want is no shipping speculation and stuff along those lines. Anyways, we're moving on soon, so...

I did not remove it, but I did edit it to remove speculatory statements, and left only what pertains to the actual events of the scene. I am afraid that my original post did wander off into speculation-land too much to be in compliance with the rules.

I did not remove it, but I did edit it to remove speculatory statements, and left only what pertains to the actual events of the scene. I am afraid that my original post did wander off into speculation-land too much to be in compliance with the rules.

Ok, that's fine.

I'd like to go on record as saying it is very difficult to avoid speculation on San/San shipping; because GRRM has set up a bond between the two characters, and in my opinion, tends to do more with it (if only to have them meet and talk again); and if we're rereading Sansa, it's darned hard to just not mention that she does have feelings for the man. I am not in any way advocating that 12-13-year-old girls take up with 25-year-old emotionally stunted/mixed up men. Sansa is way still too young, in AFFC, for any kind of sexual relationship with anyone. But Sansa is at an age, beginning around the time we are now in ACOK and continuing, where a girl starts to think about sexual matters and romantic dreams and sexual fantasies can start to be intertwined.

@LadyoftheNorth - you wouldn't happen to have kept the unedited version?

@Raksha - indeed. Sansa is growing up in more ways than one, and it will be interesting to contrast the kind of instinctive emotional responses she displays in this chapter to her later behaviour with Tyrion and Littlefinger.

I am totally confused on the Moderators actions I definitely missed something going on in the previous threads on the two since I sorta chose to just scan them not write in them.

Back to the top here to finished reading.

Brashcandy, unfortunately I didn't. If there was a particular point of it you wanted to discuss, I could probably recreate it?

Oh darn :( I just felt it was wonderful in its entirety and I would have liked you to PM it to me, but that's ok, at least I was able to appreciate it for a short time :)

Well, other than to have rampant posts speculating on its symbolic meaning, the cloak would serve a function for the plot!

Im wondering if that cloak is going to turn up again....

Could Varys, as intel guy, have been the one to search her stuff and find the cloak? Someone had to have gone through her things when she disappeared, to look for clues. I wonder if the cloak's presence in Sansa's trunk will become a catalyst for future events if Varys next meets with LF and mentions it.

Sansa, with her red hair, seems almost phoenix-like as she rises from being huddled under the bloody, smelly, torn, discarded cloak. She emerges stronger and more hopeful, while Cersei (acting again as a foil) is disintegrating. Maybe Cersei's prophecy was more symbolic than literal, in her replacement by a younger, more beautiful queen, since Sansa actually acts more like a queen during the battle?

ETA what my phone ate: Or maybe it's meant to represent the completion of her passage from childhood into adulthood.

A little OT: I haven't been around these forums for long, and while I can't get behind a lot of the rhetoric, hate/love for various characters, all that, there are a lot of gems here, which are broadening my appreciation for the books and respect for the work GRRM has put in (between NFL broadcasts). The Sansa reread topics are gems. I missed the first and second ones, so I'm going back to those and to re-reading the appropriate chapters. Not much else to do until Winds of Winter comes out, right? As the Starks say, Winter is coming. But when?

Meanwhile, thank you Brash Candy and Rapsie.

So what about those tapestries that LF was sending for???? OK that is off-topic but....it was mentioned in a Sansa chapter.

Just wondering if the tapestries were going to somehow relate to something sansa-centric....hey, maybe the bloody cloak will show up in them!

oh wait.....i found it:

back to Sansa!

Archived