US Politics: 1950's edition

I don't really understand Santorum's social conservatism. Catholics (except on the abortion thing) in the US are usually fairly moderate-to-liberal. Santorum talks like Pat Robertson's attack dog. Where are the Catholic clergy who should be condemning this stuff? Am I completely off base about the Politics of the American Church?

Also, how is it that the extremely conservative protestants, who often as not see Catholicism as akin to Mormonism (not real Christianity) are coming out for this guy?

http://now.msn.com/now/0306-palin-cnn-convention.aspx

CNN interviewed Sarah Palin at her Wasilla, Alaska, polling station tonight, and the one-time governor and veep nominee couldn't help but make news. "Anything is possible," she said, regarding a 2012 presidential run, adding that she wouldn't "close any doors" should the current Republican candidates fail to lock down the nomination by the convention this August in Tampa. The Fox News star also defended embattled radio show host Rush Limbaugh: "I think the definition of hypocrisy is for Rush Limbaugh to have been called out, forced to apologize and retract what it is that he said in exercising his First Amendment rights, and never is that applied to the leftist radicals who say such horrible things about the handicapped, about women, about the defenseless."

I'd be curious to know what his position is on the death penalty, and other such issues where the RCC is pretty hardline.

Rick Santorum is, I think, pro-death-penalty, which I believe runs against the teachings of the RCC. Not that I care what the RCC teaches, but I find it amusing that the term "cafeteria Catholic" is applied more often to pro-choice Catholics than to pro-death-penalty Catholics. If both of those positions run contrary to doctrine, then those opinion holders are all rogues, right?

I don't really understand Santorum's social conservatism. Catholics (except on the abortion thing) in the US are usually fairly moderate-to-liberal. Santorum talks like Pat Robertson's attack dog. Where are the Catholic clergy who should be condemning this stuff? Am I completely off base about the Politics of the American Church?

Also, how is it that the extremely conservative protestants, who often as not see Catholicism as akin to Mormonism (not real Christianity) are coming out for this guy?

As far as I understand Catholicism (which is mainly due to exposure when growing up) he is actually breaking doctrine and dogma in quite a number of his positions. The whole focus on the bible he showed some time ago goes against everything I know about the core of the RCC.

As far as I understand Catholicism (which is mainly due to exposure when growing up) he is actually breaking doctrine and dogma in quite a number of his positions. The whole focus on the bible he showed some time ago goes against everything I know about the core of the RCC.

This is correct. By grade 6 in Catholic school we were taught the difference between 'Truth vs. True'. The illustration was that Jonah was never really eaten by a Whale/Fish but rather the story teaches us something about God's plan for us and surrendering our destiny to him. Or something since he already knows our destiny and...

Later on in Catholic high school we learned more dogmatic positions of the Church, as well as taking an entire year of 'biblical criticism', which was basically teaching us to understand the bible through the lens of the time period. What exactly was a Sadducee, why was the temple such a big deal that Jesus is flipping over tables because they are selling chickens etc. When the gospels were written (60 to 150ish years after Jesus' death, and for what audiences).

Senior year was all about giving back to the community. God's 'Preferential Option for the Poor', helping those in need. Being 'Christlike'. Social wellfare programs etc.

As far as I can tell, Santorum fails most of the Catholic tests for 'Catholicity'. He however does pass most tests for more mainstream denomination Christians. He also passes the most important test for 'Hardline' Catholics which is firmly antiabortion and anti contraception. So basically he is the perfect storm of religious zeal. An amalgam and focus of the teachings from Abraham to Luther. A true abomination that my entire extended family thinks is 'just what we need in Amrrrca'.

Going back to the contraception issue, it's interesting that 30% of Republicans polled say they agree with the Obama administration's position. The funniest part IMO of the linked article is this quote by John Zogby:

“Drop this baby right now. Drop it. This is not a winner.”

Thankfully, many Republicans aren't listening.

I've long maintained that Romney will be the GOP nominee, and Ezra Klein offers a compelling analysis of why he's not as weak as he appears. Its worth a read.

Romeny will motivate his party, but can he motivate indeps?

ETA: He has definitely alienated a lot of people, and he really is out of touch with Americans.

In sad news this morning, Dennis Kucinich loses his house seat due to redistricting.

Is that sarcasm? Dennis Kucinich losing is a great thing, and I say this as a staunchly partisan liberal Democrat. People are making hay out of the fact that Marcy Kaptur is anti-choice, but Kucinich is too, he just publicly changed his stance when he decided to run for President the first time around. Otherwise I am happier with Kaptur in every conceivable way.

Does anyone have any data on where people voting for The Thing Called Newt would go if he dropped out? I assume it's overwhelmingly to Santorum, but I don't have any data. If that's so, think how much Newt is bailing Romney out.

Santorum's supporters certainly believe that to be true, but I don't. I ended up voting for Newt last night. For baseball fans, he's the Richie Sexson or Adam Dunn of the GOP. Most likely to hit you a home run by saying something really sharp, and also most likely to strike out by saying something really stupid.

But Romney would have been my second choice, and I almost voted for him based on a "must stop Santorum" rationale. And I know a lot of Republicans who Santorum has turned off. At this point, I think the "anti-Santorum' faction may be almost as large as the "anti-Romney" faction. But Romney's real ace in the whole is Paul and his supporters, who generally find Santorum the worst of the bunch.

Speaking of extremists, Randall Terry -- he of Operation Rescue fame -- is (and always has been) a Democrat. He's running for President in the Democratic primary, and got 18% of the primary vote last night in Oklahoma's Democratic primary. Looks like he gets a delegate to the DNC this summer.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/07/obama-oklahoma-primary-results-2012-randall-terry_n_1326170.html

I think Santorum is more likely to drop out than Gingrich. Santorum is a young-ish guy in good standing with the party, and he's not going to want to ruin himself just to poison the well for Romney. I think that, when the time comes, he'll allow himself to be bought off in exchange for getting out of the race and letting the inevitable happen.

Gingrich, however, is much older, despised by party elites, and has little incentive to turn off his self-aggrandisement machine. In fact, the longer this race goes on the more publicity he gets, which could translate into future book sales, cushy speaking engagements, etc.

I think Santorum is more likely to drop out than Gingrich. Santorum is a young-ish guy in good standing with the party, and he's not going to want to ruin himself just to poison the well for Romney. I think that, when the time comes, he'll allow himself to be bought off in exchange for getting out of the race and letting the inevitable happen.

Gingrich, however, is much older, despised by party elites, and has little incentive to turn off his self-aggrandisement machine. In fact, the longer this race goes on the more publicity he gets, which could translate into future book sales, cushy speaking engagements, etc.

I don't think so. But if he does, all the Obama campaign has to do is make an ad with some of the extremist rhetoric Romney has been forced to spew to get primary votes.

Dems, IMO, have trouble playing to win though. Obama's record seems spotty and in some cases (Solyndra) kinda weak.

Where's the socially liberal, fiscal center party when you need it?

Is that sarcasm? Dennis Kucinich losing is a great thing, and I say this as a staunchly partisan liberal Democrat. People are making hay out of the fact that Marcy Kaptur is anti-choice, but Kucinich is too, he just publicly changed his stance when he decided to run for President the first time around. Otherwise I am happier with Kaptur in every conceivable way.

no its not scarcasm. Kucinich was one of the only members of congress who stood up and said what a bad idea going to war with Iraq was. He voted against the Patriot Act (in his words "because I read it!"). I dont know anything about Kaptur, and she doesnt represent me, but I do like Kucinich, even though he is much more liberal than me. I also like that he filed articles of impreachment against GWB.

Archived