Most Annoying Saying

You know about ebooks and search functions right? At least I hope CrypticWeirwood does ;) .

Actually, in some senses I don’t. I’ve never touched an ebook reader in my life, and wouldn’t know the first thing about how to run searches, especially of the fuzzy kind needed here.

You see, I write my own programs for all of these things, from scratch. I’m um rather proficient at it.

Actually, in some senses I don’t. I’ve never touched an ebook reader in my life, and wouldn’t know the first thing about how to run searches, especially of the fuzzy kind needed here.

You see, I write my own programs for all of these things, from scratch. I’m um rather proficient at it.

It is known.

LOL!

"If I look back, I'm lost"

The bit about the queen of rabbits with floppy ears

"I AM DAENERYS STORMBORN OF HOUSE TARGARYEN OF OLD VALYRIAN BLOOD MOTHER OF DRAGONS AND BLAH BLAH BLAH"

So, yeah, pretty much whatever Daenerys says. :P

She’s certainly been getting increasingly puffed up with titles as the series has progressed. Here are her titles from the back of the books.

• Game: PRINCESS DAENERYS, called Daenerys Stormborn, a maid of thirteen years.
  • Clash: THE QUEEN ACROSS THE WATER DAENERYS TARGARYEN, called Daenerys Stormborn, the Unburnt, Mother of Dragons, Khaleesi of the Dothraki, and First of Her Name, sole surviving child of King Aerys II Targaryen by his sister/wife, Queen Rhaella, a widow at fourteen years.
  • Storm: THE QUEEN ACROSS THE WATER DAENERYS TARGARYEN, the First of Her Name, Khaleesi of the Dothraki, called DAENERYS STORMBORN, the UNBURNT, MOTHER OF DRAGONS, sole surviving heir of Aerys II Targaryen, widow of Khal Drogo of the Dothrak.
  • Feast: BEYOND THE NARROW SEA THE QUEEN ACROSS THE WATER DAENERYS TARGARYEN, the First of Her Name, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, Protector of the Realm, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, called DAENERYS STORMBORN, the UNBURNT, MOTHER OF DRAGONS.
  • Dance: DAENERYS TARGARYEN, the First of Her Name, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, Protector of the Realm, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, called DAENERYS STORMBORN, the UNBURNT, MOTHER OF DRAGONS.

Breathtaking isn’t it? Can you imagine the poor heralds? Think of the vast lungs on wee little Missandei! Plus see what I mean? Dany’s getting more and more puffed up. Megalomania, much?

And here are what she gets called within the books. I think you’ll enjoy this. ;-}

• Game: His sister, Daenerys Stormborn, Princess of Dragonstone.
  • Game: I am Daenerys Stormborn, Princess of Dragonstone, of the blood and seed of Aegon the Conqueror.
  • Game: “You have the honor to address Daenerys of the House Targaryen, Daenerys Stormborn, khaleesi of the riding men and princess of the Seven Kingdoms.”
  • Game: I am Daenerys Stormborn, daughter of dragons, bride of dragons, mother of dragons, don’t you see?

• Clash: The Unburnt, they called her, and Mother of Dragons.
  • Clash: “For the Mother of Dragons, no gift is too great.”
  • Clash: “Make way,” Jhogo shouted at the crowd from horseback, snapping his whip, “make way, make way for the Mother of Dragons.”
  • Clash: As the rumor of living dragons had spread through the east, ever more seekers had come to learn if the tale was true—and Xaro Xhoan Daxos saw to it that the great and the humble alike offered some token to the Mother of Dragons.
  • Clash: “Make way, you Milk Men, make way for the Mother of Dragons,” Jhogo cried, and the Qartheen moved aside, though perhaps the oxen had more to do with that than his voice.
  • Clash: “You are the Mother of Dragons, are you not?”
  • Clash: “The risk—” “Queen Daenerys must enter alone, or not at all.”
  • Clash: There was no sound but the slow, deep beat of the rotting heart. ...mother of dragons... came a voice, part whisper and part moan... . dragons... dragons... dragons... other voices echoed in the gloom.
  • Clash: “I am Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, Queen of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros.”
  • Clash: What did they mean?” ...the shape of shadows... morrows not yet made... drink from the cup of ice... drink from the cup of fire... ...mother of dragons... child of three...
  • Clash: She did not understand. ...three heads has the dragon... the ghost chorus yarnmered inside her skull with never a lip moving, never a breath stirring the still blue air.... mother of dragons... child of storm...
  • Clash: breath murmured a woman’s name.... mother of dragons, daughter of death...
  • Clash: From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire.... mother of dragons, slayer of lies...
  • Clash: A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness.... mother of dragons, bride of fire...
  • Clash: “Not the Mother of Dragons.”
  • Clash: When she told a Lyseni on the Trumpeteer that she was Daenerys Stormborn, Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, he gave her a deadface look and said, “Aye, and I’m Lord Tywin Lannister and shit gold every night.”
  • Clash: And for the Mother of Dragons, only thirty honors.”
  • Clash: “Mother of Dragons, for you.”

• Storm: Daenerys Stormborn, she was called, for she had come howling into the world on distant Dragonstone as the greatest storm in the memory of Westeros howled outside, a storm so fierce that it ripped gargoyles from the castle walls and smashed her father’s fleet to kindling.
  • Storm: I am Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, not a brood mare!
  • Storm: Kraznys had commanded them to lay down their spears and shields, and doff their swordbelts and quilted tunics, so the Queen of Westeros might better inspect the lean hardness of their bodies.
  • Storm: Remind him that I am Daenerys Stormborn, Mother of Dragons, the Unburnt, trueborn queen of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros.
  • Storm: “Make way for the Mother of Dragons!”
  • Storm: “I am handmaid to the Mother of Dragons,” the girl said.
  • Storm: The Mother of Dragons has sold her strongest child.
  • Storm: But Grey Worm is the name this one drew the day Daenerys Stormborn set him free.”
  • Storm: “I am Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, the Unburnt, Mother of Dragons, khaleesi to Drogo’s riders, and queen of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros.”
  • Storm: As they passed, little Missandei told them that they owed their freedom to Daenerys Stormborn, the Unburnt, Queen of the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros and Mother of Dragons.
  • Storm: Dany had stopped to speak to a pregnant woman who wanted the Mother of Dragons to name her baby when someone reached up and grabbed her left wrist.
  • Storm: I bring greetings to the Mother of Dragons from King Cleon of Astapor, Cleon the Great.”
  • Storm: Great Cleon bids me declare his devotion to the Mother of Dragons.
  • Storm: But he means to put all of them aside if the Mother of Dragons will consent to wed him.”
  • Storm: She was Daenerys Stormborn, the Unburnt, khaleesi and queen, Mother of Dragons, slayer of warlocks, breaker of chains, and there was no one in the world that she could trust.

• Dance: Only then did Dany go back inside the pyramid, where Irri and Jhiqui were waiting to brush the tangles from her hair and garb her as befit the Queen of Meereen, in a Ghiscari tokar.
  • Dance: “The Mother of Dragons must don the tokar or be forever hated,” warned the Green Grace, Galazza Galare.
  • Dance: “All kneel for Daenerys Stormborn, the Unburnt, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Khaleesi of Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Shackles, and Mother of Dragons.”
  • Dance: “Cleon the Great sends these slippers as a token of his love for Daenerys Stormborn, the Mother of Dragons.”
  • Dance: “His Magnificence bids me say that he stands ready to defend the Mother of Dragons from all her foes.”
  • Dance: “All kneel for Daenerys Stormborn, the Unburnt, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Khaleesi of Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Shackles, and Mother of Dragons,” cried Missandei in her high, sweet voice.
  • Dance: Mother of Dragons says I am free.
  • Dance: All kneel for Daenerys Stormborn, the Unburnt, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Khaleesi of Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Shackles, and Mother of Dragons,” Missandei called.
  • Dance: Mother of dragons, Daenerys thought.
  • Dance: “To bring a gift, for the queen of my heart.”
  • Dance: “This is so,” he allowed, “yet soon or late word must reach them of the dragon queen of Slaver’s Bay.”
  • Dance: “I know that the Mother of Dragons will not abandon us in our hour of peril.
  • Dance: “Wherever the Mother of Dragons goes, the Mother’s Men will go as well,” announced Marselen, Missandei’s remaining brother.
  • Dance: “I have brought another gift for the queen of my heart,” Xaro announced.
  • Dance: She is the widow of a Dothraki khal, a mother of dragons and sacker of cities, Aegon the Conqueror with teats.
  • Dance: “Queen Daenerys has a large one, and no thanks to you.”
  • Dance: You are the last of her line, and this Mother of Dragons, this Breaker of Chains, is above all a rescuer.
  • Dance: How has this sweet child queen offended Old Volantis?”
  • Dance: My lords, I give you Aegon Targaryen, firstborn son of Rhaegar, Prince of Dragonstone, by Princess Elia of Dorne … soon, with your help, to be Aegon, the Sixth of His Name, King of Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, and Lord of the Seven Kingdoms.
  • Dance: If she can break the Yunkai’i, she’ll be Queen of Slaver’s Bay.
  • Dance: The queen of the rabbits must not be wed without her floppy ears.
  • Dance: All kneel for Daenerys Stormborn, the Unburnt, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Khaleesi of Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Shackles and Mother of Dragons,” Missandei called.
  • Dance: The queen of the rabbits could not be seen without her floppy ears.
  • Dance: “Meaning no offense, yet it seems to me that Her Worship Queen Daenerys gave you … ah … seven hostages.
  • Dance: “Her Magnificence Queen Daenerys is Mother of Dragons.
  • Dance: “This Ghiscari lordling is no fit consort for the queen of the Seven Kingdoms.”
  • Dance: His queen was the Mother of Dragons; he would not allow her children to come to harm.
  • Dance: Even your own young queen, fair Daenerys who called herself the Mother of Dragons … we saw her burning, that day in the pit … even she was not safe from the dragon’s wroth.”
  • Dance: I was the Mother of Dragons.”
  • Dance: “Queen of Slaver’s Bay, aye.
  • Dance: If she should reach these shores and join her strength to Lord Connington and this prince of his, feigned or no … we must destroy Connington and his pretender now, before Daenerys Stormborn can come west.”

Basically everything Dany says, or thinks. But the worst of all of them is whenever she mentions

FIRE AND BLOOD

It is not just the queen of the rabbits who invokes the age-old formula of the Dragon Kings:

• Clash: “They say it comes as a herald before a king, to warn of fire and blood to follow.”
  • Clash: The way she said it made him shiver, and when he asked what the comet meant, she answered, “Blood and fire, boy, and nothing sweet.”
  • Clash: The Drowned God had made them to reave and rape, to carve out kingdoms and write their names in fire and blood and song.
  • Clash: Lord Eddard had tried to play the father from time to time, but to Theon he had always remained the man who’d brought blood and fire to Pyke and taken him from his home.
  • Clash: She found his cloak on the floor, twisted up tight, the white wool stained by blood and fire.
  • Storm: Blood and fire, thought Dany.
  • Storm: “Aegon the Conqueror brought fire and blood to Westeros, but afterward he gave them peace, prosperity, and justice.
  • Feast: It was the other dream she hated, the one where she had two feet instead of four. In that one she was always looking for her mother, stumbling through a wasted land of mud and blood and fire.
  • Feast: Prince Doran pressed the onyx dragon into her palm with his swollen, gouty fingers, and whispered, “Fire and blood.”
  • Feast: “All Valyrian sorcery was rooted in blood or fire.
  • Feast: The Targaryen words are Fire and Blood.
  • Dance: “The frightened child who sheltered in my manse died on the Dothraki sea, and was reborn in blood and fire.
  • Dance: And of course there was even less chance of his coming on the fragmentary, anonymous, blood-soaked tome sometimes called Blood and Fire and sometimes The Death of Dragons, the only surviving copy of which was supposedly hidden away in a locked vault beneath the Citadel.
  • Dance: No, she thought, out of blood and fire.
  • Dance: You were born to serve them blood and fire.
  • Dance: Elsewise, I fear, your reign must end as it began, in blood and fire.”
  • Dance: Custom and caution had an iron grip upon us till you awakened us with fire and blood.
  • Dance: An empire built on blood and fire.
  • Dance: The dragon’s words are fire and blood.
  • Dance: “For fire and blood.”
  • Dance: For fire and blood.’
  • Dance: An offering of blood and fire, the queen’s men called it, that the Lord of Light may turn his fiery eye upon us and melt these thrice-cursed snows.
  • Dance: ‘Blood for fire, fire for blood.’
  • Dance: The prince lay abed, staring at his ceiling, dreaming without sleeping, remembering, imagining, twisting beneath his linen coverlet, his mind feverish with thoughts of fire and blood.
  • Dance: “Fire and blood,” he whispered, “blood and fire.”
  • Dance: “Fire and blood,” said Barristan Selmy, softly, softly.
  • Dance: “Fire and Blood,” Daenerys told the swaying grass.
  • Dance: The Targaryen words are Fire and Blood.

Nuncle.

No, seriously, what the fuck is a nuncle.

It’s called rebracketing:

• a nickname < an ekename
  • a nuncle < an uncle
  • an apron < a napron
  • an orange < a narange (well, via Romance)
  • an adder < a nædder
  • my Ned < mine Ed
  • a newt < an ewt

And many more where those come from.

Don’t they still teach all this stuff in English class in high school anymore?

It’s called rebracketing:

• a nickname < an ekename
  • a nuncle < an uncle
  • an apron < a napron
  • an orange < a narange (well, via Romance)
  • an adder < a nædder
  • my Ned < mine Ed
  • a newt < an ewt

And many more where those come from.

Don’t they still teach all this stuff in English class in high school anymore?

They didn't teach that stuff when I was in high school and I'm old.

They didn't teach that stuff when I was in high school and I'm old.

Yeah so am I, old enough I can’t promise I remember what exactly was in high school, what was undergrad, and what was in grad school. I did grad work in linguistics, so it might have come from later on. But I thought for sure we learned about the whole a nickname < an ekename, eking out your living thing in high school during AP English. Might be wrong, though. Memory’s like a whatchamacallit. ;-{

Maybe it's not that often in the books, but the comparison: "A girl green as summer grass." Martians, anybody?

It's commonly used in Shakespeare: Ophelia is referred to as a 'green girl', or in her 'salad' days. Just means young, fresh, naive to the world and it's true horrors etc.

I hate each and every one of the 70 occurrences of “mine own” that occur in the five books. If you are going to put an n at the end of my before a word beginning with a vowel sound, then you do so always, not just right before own and nowhere else.

Oh wait, excuse me. There is one other place. Just one alone. It’s this one, from Feast:

• Protect me from mine enemies, protect me from the darkness, protect me from the crabs inside my belly, from the horselords, from the slavers, from the sellswords at my door.

It does not make any sense AT ALL to say “mine own” unless you also say “mine arse”, “mine eyes”, “mine age”, “mine admiral”, “mine aunt”, “mine uncle”, “mine other”, “mine honor”, etc etc. And he doesn’t do that. Ever. At all. It makes no sense. (Ok, “my nuncle” counts as “mine uncle”, but Martin probably doesn’t even know that.)

It’s a deliberate archaism that goes over like a lead balloon because it’s stupidly inconsistent and idiosyncratic. Nobody ever talked that way. It’s totally fake. How can he not know this?

Martin has been slipping on this for the last few books. Here are the counts of “my own” vs “mine own” in each book:

1. Game: 27 VS 0
  2. Clash: 51 VS 3
  3. Storm: 39 VS 20
  4. Feast: 20 VS 22
  5. Dance: 40 VS 25

Archived