Most Annoying Saying

"For the nonce"

I don't hate it but in Britain "nonce" means paedophile so that cracks me up.

"Musts needs" pisses me off a bit. I get that GRRM is making a point that the great houses go over the top with the analogies relating to their sigils but if I was in Westeros and a Lannister said something like "The lion prefers to sleep after a heavy meal" or a Tyrell said "The rose may smell sweet but grab it and you'll find it has thorns", I'd just want to punch them in the face repeatedly and scream at them that their house sigils are just arbitrary objects chosen hundreds/thousands of years ago and you don't have to make an analogy relating it to everything you do in your life.

Also "I am but a young girl and know nothing of..." :tantrum: yea, Dany...if you are a young girl and know nothing it might be a good idea to listen to advice. just a thought...

I automatically substitute, "I am just a simple hyperchicken from a backwoods asteroid..."

I don't hate it but in Britain "nonce" means paedophile so that cracks me up.

Does it??! I don't know which part of Britain you're from. I got the impression it meant 'head', and is commonly used to refer to someone as a preening idiot.

'must needs' is in Shakespearian usage, so I can kinda see why he uses that.

The one that gets me is when characters say "MIStrust" instead of "DIStrust". It's not an archaism, which GRRM is fond of employing for the old-timey middle-agey feel. It's just incorrect.

Not exactly a saying, but whenever a character says 'had as well' instead of 'might as well', it completely throws me for a second or two, and the first few times I saw it I had no idea what they meant. Don't know whether it's just me, but I'd never heard that particular turn of phrase before.

"Wherever the whores go." - at first an interesting turn of words, later oh no, here we go again

"It´s as useless as the the nipples on a breastplate." - I burst out laughing the first time I read it, but repeated joke isn´t a joke anymore. It is known. :P

"You know nothing, Jon Snow." - really, GRRM, we´ve got it - Jon doesn´t know who are the Others, what they want, how to fight them, he doesn´t know his parentage, . . . We´ve got it.

"I´m a woman flowered." - What is it about Westerosi girls telling random strangers that they already had their first period?

Archived