Odds of Jaime and Brienne Ending Up Together

Ser Adam Dayne

Someone had suggested that Jaime may leave Brienne a gift to remember him by. And since House Tarth needs an heir I can see it happening.

lol, that is what i had in mind too. I would like them to end up together but not in a way "married with children, they lived happily ever after". Brienne isnt that type of woman (though she is helplessly romantic) and i dont see her being dutiful wife at all. I do believe she had developed genuine feelings for Jaime, and he for her too....if I were Martin, i would give them their moment and then kill one of them. I mean, chances of both of them surviving to the end are equal to 0, and if one of them has to go, i believe its Jaime. Not only cause of the valonquar thing, but also to finish his redeeming path. Besides, wench deserved at least some sort of happy ending. Little Lannister bastard could actually be that to her.

Someone had suggested that Jaime may leave Brienne a gift to remember him by. And since House Tarth needs an heir I can see it happening.

Unless they get married, a bastard child isn't going to be an heir, for either House Tarth or House Lannister.

lol, that is what i had in mind too. I would like them to end up together but not in a way "married with children, they lived happily ever after". Brienne isnt that type of woman (though she is helplessly romantic) and i dont see her being dutiful wife at all. I do believe she had developed genuine feelings for Jaime, and he for her too....if I were Martin, i would give them their moment and then kill one of them. I mean, chances of both of them surviving to the end are equal to 0, and if one of them has to go, i believe its Jaime. Not only cause of the valonquar thing, but also to finish his redeeming path. Besides, wench deserved at least some sort of happy ending. Little Lannister bastard could actually be that to her.

Brienne having Jaime's baby is as disturbing as SanSan.

Unless they get married, a bastard child isn't going to be an heir, for either House Tarth or House Lannister.

That's relative. If Brienne performs some big service to whoever gets the throne in the end, the child would probably be legitimized as a thank you gift.

Brienne having Jaime's baby is as disturbing as SanSan.

LOL. I don't know - given his/her parentage, the kid might turn out to be the finest fighter ever seen in Westeros, the stuff legends are made of :D

Of course, they might also turn out to be a poet or musician who hates fighting and can't stand the sight of blood!

House Tarth doesn't need to survive. Plenty of families are going to go into extinction at the end of this series (especially Bolton, Targaryen and Frey if I have it my way), and the Tarths might be one of them. I don't think we need to assume that any family is extinction-proof, except maybe the Starks - the wolves will come again and all that.

I found it interesting that someone earlier said that Brienne is the closest thing ASOIAF has to a genderqueer character. I suppose that's possible, but I've always read her as intensely female, if not feminine. She will never be a mother or a wife (I'm willing to bet money on that), but she certainly is a woman, in some ways still a girl. And she has some traits which would have been considered traditionally feminine: sensitive, caring, as gentle as she is fierce, modest, etc. She doesn't come across as feminine not because of her mannish looks, but because men have been so revolted by her throughout her life that she can't bring herself to feel womanly, which in my opinion is one of the most tragic and heart-breaking things about Brienne of Tarth.

As for her and Jaime, as much as I would like to see them together, it's probably not going to happen, at least not for a long-term thing. I think Jaime's dream in ASOS gives a strong hint about how it'll turn out: Brienne will be with Jaime when he faces his death, and she will survive him (though I'm not sure for how long). And I will be very sad when that day comes.

I'm torn on this one. Jaime and Brienne would, genetically, have the potential to produce an exceptional warrior - tall, naturally gifted father, and behemoth warrior woman mother.

On the other hand, I still dislike Jaime for chucking Bran.

Bigger doesn't make one a better fighter. If you're too big you will be slower. The best size for a fighter might be something like Vitali Klitschko, who is strong and quick, but if you get over his size - imagine Nikolai Valuev - it's always a loss.

Klitschko owns both: big boxers, and he totally owned Asians in Kickboxing (

).

If Jaime and Brienne had children, they would be ugly bastards most likely, and not better warriors than Jaime, also if they god Brienne's wits, they'd be as smart as bread.

Bran was in the false place at the false time, and he's a totally annoying little brat, so Jaime was right to push him down to protect his interests. Too bad he didn't die.

Brienne and Jaime offspring

nikolai_valuev.jpeg

ps. wtf does this forum screw up img links?

As for her and Jaime, as much as I would like to see them together, it's probably not going to happen, at least not for a long-term thing. I think Jaime's dream in ASOS gives a strong hint about how it'll turn out: Brienne will be with Jaime when he faces his death, and she will survive him (though I'm not sure for how long). And I will be very sad when that day comes.

I interpret the dream differently. I think that Jaime will survive as long as Brienne stays with him, lending him the light of her sword.

That's relative. If Brienne performs some big service to whoever gets the throne in the end, the child would probably be legitimized as a thank you gift.

I don't think that is going to happen.

She might decide to get married, just to make sure that the child will not be named a bastard. I strongly suspect that Ser Hyle would still be willing to marry her even if she were pregnant by another man.

I don't think that is going to happen.

She might decide to get married, just to make sure that the child will not be named a bastard. I strongly suspect that Ser Hyle would still be willing to marry her even if she were pregnant by another man.

Oh, that's possible too. I just don't see Ser Hyle surviving the BwB :laugh:

I interpret the dream differently. I think that Jaime will survive as long as Brienne stays with him, lending him the light of her sword.

That was how I understood the dream. She'll be his light (salvation?) in the end, allowing him to find redemption before his likely-inevitable demise.

If Jaime and Brienne had children, they would be ugly bastards most likely, and not better warriors than Jaime, also if they god Brienne's wits, they'd be as smart as bread.

why? First of all, i must disagree about the wits thing. Brienne is not a stupid girl, she is just a person who doesnt know how to give smart but often meaningless and unnecessary comments. She is quiet, honest and doesnt speak in form "read between the lines, dumbass" so she is "smart as a bread"? I think she is actually very intelligent but her shyness and the fact that most people make impressions on her before she even speaks, makes her introverted and quiet.

Just cause you can pull funny and witty answers out of the hat in every situation, doesnt make you smart.

why? First of all, i must disagree about the wits thing. Brienne is not a stupid girl, she is just a person who doesnt know how to give smart but often meaningless and unnecessary comments. She is quiet, honest and doesnt speak in form "read between the lines, dumbass" so she is "smart as a bread"? I think she is actually very intelligent but her shyness and the fact that most people make impressions on her before she even speaks, makes her introverted and quiet.

Just cause you can pull funny and witty answers out of the hat in every situation, doesnt make you smart.

I agree, and I think many people tend to confuse how she is described as looking stupid (I think Jaime does say that a lot about her) with actually being stupid. Or maybe they mistake honorable and stubborn for stupid, who knows?

I agree, and I think many people tend to confuse how she is described as looking stupid (I think Jaime does say that a lot about her) with actually being stupid. Or maybe they mistake honorable and stubborn for stupid, who knows?

Brienne is actually quite good at quick thinking-witness her crushing the ship following her, Jaime and Cleos in ACoK.

That was how I understood the dream. She'll be his light (salvation?) in the end, allowing him to find redemption before his likely-inevitable demise.

I see the dream on the weirwood stump as a major point on the Jaime redemption arc. It started with the hand being cut off, it picks up with Brienne kick-starting Jaime back to life when he wants to die, and it shifts into full gear when he's confronted with his ghosts, and the light in his sword goes out. He is no longer the great swordsman, and has to find another path, with Brienne so very clearly in the dream being an important part of the path.

ETA: Unlike others, I do not view it as a potent of his death, in the same way the death of the Hound is announced, but I believe Sandor is still alive.

Brienne is not a stupid girl, she is just a person who doesnt know how to give smart but often meaningless and unnecessary comments. She is quiet, honest and doesnt speak in form "read between the lines, dumbass" so she is "smart as a bread"? I think she is actually very intelligent but her shyness and the fact that most people make impressions on her before she even speaks, makes her introverted and quiet.

Agree. She's learnt - very painfully - that people judge her by her appearance and are not really interested in her as a person or in what she has to say. As Winterbreath pointed out, she can think on her feet, but we only start to see 'how' she thinks and works things through when we get her POVs in AFFC.

... I've always read her as intensely female, if not feminine. She will never be a mother or a wife (I'm willing to bet money on that), but she certainly is a woman, in some ways still a girl. And she has some traits which would have been considered traditionally feminine: sensitive, caring, as gentle as she is fierce, modest, etc. She doesn't come across as feminine not because of her mannish looks, but because men have been so revolted by her throughout her life that she can't bring herself to feel womanly, which in my opinion is one of the most tragic and heart-breaking things about Brienne of Tarth.

Yes!! 100% yes. She has completely lost any confidence she may have had in being female, because no one has seen past her physical appearance to treat her as a young woman. So she puts on armour, both physically and mentally, and obstinately refuses to let anyone get past all the walls she has put up around who she really is. It's one of the reasons that Jaime's tag of "wench" gets under her skin - even though he is mocking her (at least at first), he is still using a term that refers to her as a woman.

I think her lack of confidence is brought home in their last scene together in ASOS, where she's been brought to the White Tower and Jaime gives her Oathkeeper, because it starts with them each awkwardly paying each other compliments. Jaime's internal POV notes that the dress fits much better than the hideous pink satin rag she'd been given by the goat, and he says: " Blue is a good colour on you, my lady. It goes well with your eyes". Poor Brienne is completely flustered by this, and tells him that Septa Donyse had padded out the bodice to give it that shape. You wonder whether this is the first genuine compliment about her appearance that she has received, because she knows that Jaime of all people can be brutally honest and is not given to idle flattery. She in turn compliments him about his appearance in the white cloak. Of course, they are soon back to prickly sparring, but GRRM shows us that they've each managed to get past each other's defences and score a hit.

It's strongly hinted that Ser Duncan the Tall, former commander of the Kingsguard, left a Lady of Tarth pregnant and that Brienne is the descendant of that child. Even though I have a hard time seeing Jaime having sex with anyone but Cersei, perhaps there will be a history-repeats-itself kind of thing where Jaime leave Brienne with a similar souvenir before he shuffles off this mortal coil? At least then Jaime would leave behind a living genetically uncompromised child, and Brienne would have a child she'd love to pieces, plus a little bit of the man she luuurves.

as much as I dislike the Jaime + Brienne shipper-fest, I have to admit to being intrigued by your post.

I think they already love each other. Brienne made Jaime a better man. He found honor again through her example. And Brienne was willing to die rather than kill him, but she wasn't willing to let Podrick die for it too. Shame on Uncat! She's become what she hated in life.

I think he's well & truly done with Cersei. But this match will probably be an Unrequited love story if they survive the UnCat scenario.

I found it interesting that someone earlier said that Brienne is the closest thing ASOIAF has to a genderqueer character. I suppose that's possible, but I've always read her as intensely female, if not feminine. She will never be a mother or a wife (I'm willing to bet money on that), but she certainly is a woman, in some ways still a girl. And she has some traits which would have been considered traditionally feminine: sensitive, caring, as gentle as she is fierce, modest, etc. She doesn't come across as feminine not because of her mannish looks, but because men have been so revolted by her throughout her life that she can't bring herself to feel womanly, which in my opinion is one of the most tragic and heart-breaking things about Brienne of Tarth.

Wait; I don't mean to sound condescending here, because you might well know an awful lot about the transgender community, but I will point out very deliberately that genderqueer is not transgender. Brienne having 'feminine' traits (such as being gentle, caring and compassionate) is not any kind of proof for -or- against being genderqueer. Moreso, to be genderqueer is to be either entirely detached from gender or to find yourself at a balance between commonly perceived traits of either gender; the latter of which I believe is true of Brienne, who is as chivalrous and stubborn as she is compassionate and caring.

That's a pretty 'layman's terms' version of genderqueer. It goes a lot further than being a tomboy but the fact that Brienne has stayed a maiden for so long also indicates that sexuality would be uncomfortable for her.

It's not to do with how she looks, though I won't dispute the fact that how she looks likely shaped who she is. That's not something that can ever be 'cured' nor should it need to be. She has ended up as a combination of gender traits and no matter who she falls in love with or doesn't, that is how she will be.

Archived