Great Book, Lousy Movie and Vice Versa

Baitac

I don't enjoy LOTR the movie more than the best series of books ever written. I just enjoy it more than the LOTR books :P

Well played.

Those books are a personal favourite, not something I really enjoyed seeing on the screen or 'the best series of books ever written' - I mean, come on.

Nothing new to film making was introduced, and they didn't even do the justice of telling the complete tale.

Well, as it comes to Gollum there were certainly quite literal firsts. However, PJ took fantasy in a direction and at such a scale which had never been done before. There were certainly dark fantasies before Lord of the Rings, but none of them really created a world. It's hard for a film to articulate a world to you and Lord of the Rings as a film series does that flawlessly to where you really can't see the gaps of it. You can tell when Tolkien was telling you a history. I always hated how he stuck to the whole "Translating an old book" thing even though it was constructed like a conventional narrative. It's an emotional and visual spectacle that simply breaks all boundaries. Maybe you can't point to the film and say "this is where that camera trick was created" but it uses the tricks so well to create a cohesion that I never lose sight of it even when I look for CGI or effects. It's simply brilliant.

I think the movies were brilliant, but I also understood what was going on having read the books. The movies are still a much more superficial treatment of the books. The richness of the books couldn't be translated entirely. I also don't understand how a movie is considered more "accessible" than a book.

I can not stand Kubrik for screwing up 2001, the Shining, and A Clockwork Orange. All of these books are way better than the movies. He did not however direct Apocalypse Now. That was Francais Ford Copola and for me, the book and movie are kind of a toss up.

-Well with 2001 both the movie and novel were created at the same time between kubrick and claarke, they're meant to compliment each other, not be seen as an adaption.

-The Shining is a great novel but on screen an accurate adaption wouldn't make a good film.

-A clockwork Orange is extremely accurate to the book. the only part that isn't included is the last chapter which wasn't in kubricks edition. Besides that i dont see how clockwork wasn't a brilliant film.

Kubrick generally used the source material as a guide or reference tool, he was dead set on making a great film, not a great adaption and he succeeded in that creating some of the most influential films in history.

Before Silence of the Lambs someone attempted a Manhunter movie based on the first book of that series... terrible. I really can't think of many that were just plain garbage though.

A few movies that were pretty much on par with their book counterparts:

Interview with the Vampire (movie is a little better)

Jurassic Park

Silence of the Lambs (movie's probably even a little better)

Princess Bride

V for Vendetta

Watchmen

Dracula (FFC's Bram Stoker's)

Great Book = The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper (1973)

Lousy Movie = The Seeker: The Dark is Rising (2007)

hey, I forgot all about those books. I read them when I was younger and really liked them. Never knew there was a movie though; I'll take your word that it sucks and avoid it

Dracula (FFC's Bram Stoker's)

Ugh. I really didn't get what FFC tried to do with Dracula. It tried to be so many things at once that it failed to be coherent movie. I think the book is vastly superior.

Great book/Great movie : Frankenstein vs Frankenstein (1931). Although the movie is not exactly faithful, it's a landmark in cinematographic history. It's beautifully shot and many scenes have become staples of horror movies.

Great Book/Horrible movie : Frakenstein vs Kenneth Branagh's Frankenstein. This movie belongs in the "so bad it's good" category. I just couldn't stop laughing at the ridiculously over-the-top directing and acting from Kenneth Branagh and the general ridiculousness of it all. The monster looks like it walked straight out a bad B-movie.

Ugh. I really didn't get what FFC tried to do with Dracula. It tried to be so many things at once that it failed to be coherent movie. I think the book is vastly superior.

Strange. It was actually pretty faithful to the book, and it certainly brought the focus back into romance/love story without completely removing the horror element. Aside from that, Wynona Rider is a very competent Mina and Gary Oldman was fucking GOLD as Dracula. Probably his best performance, which is no small statement considering his others.

I have a lot of trouble watching/enjoying anything with Keanu Reeves.

hey, I forgot all about those books. I read them when I was younger and really liked them. Never knew there was a movie though; I'll take your word that it sucks and avoid it

Using the word "Movie" is being too kind.

• 2 weeks later...

Before Silence of the Lambs someone attempted a Manhunter movie based on the first book of that series... terrible. I really can't think of many that were just plain garbage though.

That would be Micheal Mann, an I thought Manhunter was pretty good. It certianly has an 80's feel to it, which doesn't age well. However I much perfered Cox's Lector than the OTT Hopkins one. I did perfer the book, though I am not really that keen on serial killer books.

The Keep was a pretty bad movie, which was better than the book.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085780/

That would be Micheal Mann, an I thought Manhunter was pretty good. It certianly has an 80's feel to it, which doesn't age well. However I much perfered Cox's Lector than the OTT Hopkins one. I did perfer the book, though I am not really that keen on serial killer books.

The Keep was a pretty bad movie, which was better than the book.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085780/

Oooh. Don't know about that Anthony Hopkins IS Lecter.

Hellblazer/Constantine.

The comic (in particular the Garth Ennis run) is brilliant. The adaptation is an abomination. I usually had little time for fanboys whingeing about how the movies are not how they envisioned it, this effort made me whinge with the best of them.

Winters Bone. Despite being a very fine film in its own right it falls short of Daniel Woodrells book which is a modern masterpiece.

Oooh. Don't know about that Anthony Hopkins IS Lecter.

I saw Manhunter before I saw Silence of the Lambs, probably explains why I perfer Cox.

I am trying really hard to think of a book I thought was great, and a movie I thought was lousy.

I kind of liked both the LOTR film and book, for different reasons. I don't read much spy/crime/horror type books.

I guess the most dissappointed I've been was with The Stand mini-series. Or prehaps Salems Lot mini-series.

Archived