What Will Become of House Lannister? (spoiler-ish)

At the start of the series the Lannisters were arguably the most powerful family in the Seven Kingdoms. Then during ASoS their power reached new heights. Tywin was a strong Hand, Cersei was Queen Regent, Jaime was Lord Commander of the Kingsguard and the Lannisters had won the War of the Five Kings (through arch-treachery, but nevermind that!).

Now, at the end of ADwD the once mighty House Lannister lays in ruins. Joffrey was poisoned by the Tyrells. Tywin was murdered by his own son. Kevan was murdered by Lord Varys. Lancel has lost his damn mind.Tyrion is an exile fugitive, banished to Essos, Jaime is no longer the great warrior he once was. Cersei has lost almost everything...her first born son, her lover/brother, her father, her power, her dignity and stands trial for unspeakable acts.

So the question is...what do you think will become of the proud Lions of Casterly Rock? Will they reclaim their former glory or will they be utterly destroyed by the end of "A Dream of Spring"?

The only one I can see possibly surviving the aftermath of what's coming is Tyrion, although you never know who lives or dies in this series.

I agree with both posts. Tyrion might be able to rally something in the east but it won't be for House Lannister, not after they've mistreated him for so long. Myrcella and Tommen will become absorbed into other houses (Tyrell for Tommen), I don't think "Lannister" will mean much to them when they get older.

1. Jaime stays with the KG and either J or T kill Cersei; Tyrion and Sansa kiss and make up and live happily ever after at the Rock;

2. Jaime goes off to do historic deeds and Cersei gets her own redemption arc; at the end they kneel before the chief septon, are forgiven their sins, allowed to marry on condition they never show their faces in KL and retire to the Rock; Cersei will outlive her children, but Cersei lives to be 80, finally strangled by Jaime when he realizes she's very sick and frail and it's the merciful thing to do;

3. Tommen survives, grows up to be a good husband to Marge and their oldest boy inherits the Rock;

4. Tommen gets killed in YG's attack on KL and eventually Myrcella marries the Martell kid and their children inherit the Rock;

5. All the above die and one of the 257 cousins inherits the Rock.

ETA: Hey F&B, you're supposed to be in bed. Go sleep and get better.

It's ironic that Tywin's ambition may result in his family's extinction. Cersei bears a lot of the blame though too.

Whose family would become the great house of the Westerlands if Lannister of Casterly Rock did indeed cease to exist? I'd assume Lannister of Lannisport, but I'm curious to see what others think.

At this point the Lannisters are finished and are acting out the last act in their very long history, unless Tyrion survives the series and has the support of a powerful backer (most likely Daenerys or Jon). Tyrion is the only one left with the right bloodline and the talent to stage a restoration of the Lannisters.

Otherwise, even though collateral members of the family will likely survive, they wont be ruling the Westerlands, unless it is as puppets.

The kittens yes, Tommen? Nope . . . the Frog has spoken . .

kittens and little lions alike eat frogs. I think the Frog said all that to make Cersei piss off, after she woke her up demanding her future told. I would have as well. I dont deny her powers but i wouldnt be surprised if she either just said it to get rid of Cersei, or Cersei has warped the prophecy over time - we all know that memories can become clouded. Anywho, i wouldnt mind Tyrion coming back, reconciling with Sansa, either takinf her back to CR or amiably divorcing her, then taking Tommen and his kittens safely to CR, while Myrcella sits safe and content in Dorne. Cersei needs to go, Jaime needs to get away from his family and the rest of the 5789097 cousins can boil in one of the seven hells for all i care, so long as Tommen and his kitties are okay!

@Fragile Bird - i know, i tried! Sleep is impossible with this wretched cold! xD

Whats with all the Tommen hating :( he's just a sweet little boy whose only crime is being born into House Lannister - and attempting to outlaw beets, apparently :P

I certainly don't hate him, but I still don't think he is going to survive.

I think that Cersei, Jaime, Myrcella and Tommen are all goners.

Archived