What Will Become of House Lannister? (spoiler-ish)

Tyrion is the rightful Lord of Casterly Rock by rights. Jaime forfeited his claim when he took the White Cloak.

The big problem is, like I stated before, no one will follow him. He killed Tywin in cold blood. Even if he did it for the right reasons, he still committed kinslaying which is an abominable act in Westeros. Tywin was hated by many outside of the Westerlands, but his loyal bannermen respected and admired him. They would never follow the son who killed him.

Yes, Tyrion could use the threat of Dany's dragons to subdue the Lords of the West but they would resent him and his time as Lord would be tumultuous. I see Tyrion serving in some capacity in King's Landing. He wants Casterly Rock, but he will not get it in the end...UNLESS he devises some sort of brilliant plan to rally the bannermen to his side.

Not going to make a difference if he has a dragon. Obviously a big 'if', but the way I see it, they will bend the knee or burn.

Haha, I think that's Danys plot though. Who knows, plus I do not think it's in Tyrion to force people to bow via dragon fire

Tyrion has to end up as a dragonrider at some point. In GoT he went on about his "morbid fascination" with dragons, with his childhood dreams of riding one and setting little fires pretending they're dragonfire. *ding dong*...gun delivery from Chekov.

Yes, Tyrion could use the threat of Dany's dragons to subdue the Lords of the West but they would resent him and his time as Lord would be tumultuous. I see Tyrion serving in some capacity in King's Landing. He wants Casterly Rock, but he will not get it in the end...UNLESS he devises some sort of brilliant plan to rally the bannermen to his side.

Plan A: Threaten to roast bannermen. Bannermen bend the knee.

Plan B: Actually roast bannermen. Get new bannermen.

If you recognize this plan, it's because it was Aegon's. Dragons are the nuclear option. The simple threat of them was enough to conquer the entire North, without spilling a drop of blood. One should serve to solidify his legitimate claim to the rock. Especially if it is his. The drawback of taking a long trip on one dragon is the distance it puts between you and the other two.

stannis gets his hands on the kids. Kill them. Becomes hated and later userped by Rickon Stark, Harrold Arryn and Edric Storm :D

Cercie gets killed of by jaime making him Kingslayer, Queenslayer, Kinslayer and then he dies somehow.

Tyrion decides to screw the rock and live with tysha.

Jaime joining the KG is not = to saying he didn't care about the preservation of the House of Lannister. The fact that some members of his family don't like Tyrion is not = to saying they don't want the House of Lannister to continue. And while Cersei demonstrated from childhood that she didn't like Tyrion, Jaime just as equally demonstrated he loved Tyrion, as Tyrion notes repeatedly in his POVs. Not to mention the fact Jaime releases Tyrion from jail and execution because of his love for his brother. Tyrion wants Casterly Rock because Jaime is in the KG and under Westeros law, sons take ahead of daughters.

All the Lannisters react fiercely to any threat to any Lannister. Jaime wants to kill Ned when Cat captures Tyrion. Tyrion wants to rescue Jaime when he's captured, and Tywin is livid his son is a prisoner.

Before his redemption arc, Jaime would have left the KG to marry Cersei, but Cersei wouldn't marry him because it would mean acknowledging the children are theirs and losing the crown for Joffrey, then Tommen. If he married Cersei, he obviously would have had to leave the KG and would be able to inherit Casterly Rock. After Jaime's redemption arc, he is very serious about his KG vows and therefore rejects his father's demands to leave the KG. There are many, many Lannisters, and if Jaime doesn't take Casterly Rock some other Lannisters will, Lannisters who have perfectly valid claims to Casterly Rock. Just because Tywin's kids might not inherit, there is still Kevan and his children, Tygett's son, Stafford's son Devan (my personal choice if the others are dead) and Genna's children. Being loyal to his KG oaths does not mean Jaime doesn't think the House of Lannister should be preserved.

Cersei was Robert's queen and her son is going to be king, and so she's focused on preserving the crown for her family. Again, there is no evidence to suggest she doesn't want the House of Lannister preserved.

Tywin's antipathy to Tyrion, for "killing" his beloved wife, is well known. Tywin firmly believes he can convince Jaime to leave the KG, which is why he tells Tyrion he'll never have Casterly Rock. Who knows, if he lived long enough, if Tyrion was executed, maybe Jaime would have left the KG.

This reminds me of Jaime's speech to Cat in the Riverrun dungeon on all the competing oaths people think you should follow.

"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws. It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other."

Much of this is clearly true but I don't think it contradicts the idea that among the siblings, Tyrion is the one who cares most deeply about the Lannister family itself.

Jamie reacts to Tyrion's kidnapping because he loves Tyrion personally. Jamie is not an abstract guy, I don't get the feeling that he really cares about the family or the lineage, just like he doesn't care about offending people or following convention. Jamie cares about immediate realities. He gives up all of those abstract concepts just to be closer to Cersei.

Cersei herself is just crazy and power hungry. She just wants to dominate those around her. Sure she wants control over Casterly Rock as a means to that end, but in it of itself it isn't meaningful to her. She's more attracted to the Iron Throne.

Tyrion is the only one who repeatedly voices his specific desire for his inheritance, the Rock. I vaguely recall him reminiscing about his favorite parts of the castle. I think that its symbolic value is important to him in ways that it was to Tywin but isn't to the twins.

At this point in the story, Tyrion ruling Casterly Rock in some capacity seems likely. Cersei is destined to be destroyed, Jamie has a more personal mission and is not interested, and all of the other Lannister characters that we care about are dead. Tyrion is the rightful heir and is seemingly going to arrive with Dany, who would be in a position to restore him to power.

And really, the poor guy deserves a break......

Tyrion doesn`t have any right to Casterly Rock and to the Lordship of the Westerlands, since he murdered his father.

And, since Jaime is sworn to the KG, neither him.

Neither Tommen or Myrcella, because they are the offspring of a incestuous relation between the golden twins.

The only person with "de jure" rights over the Rock and the Westerlands is Cersei, but the most probable is the 2nd son (Lancel is swron to the Faith) of Kevan act has some kind of steward over the Lannister domain and, to keep all in the family, will be the future sons of Martyn to keep the Rock and the Westerlands, mantaining the domain of the main lineage of the Lannisters: the one of Tytos and Tywin.

#Edited because of some mistakes!

There seem to be some pretty strong hints in ADWD that Tyrion is the son of Aerys, especially when Barristan talks about Aerys lusting for Tywin's wife, and Tyrion mentions dreaming about dragons (I think). The fact that "the dragon has three heads" makes it seem like Dany, Jon Snow, and Tyrion will eventually be revealed as the three Targ heirs...meaning the Lannisters are on the way out.

There seem to be some pretty strong hints in ADWD that Tyrion is the son of Aerys, especially when Barristan talks about Aerys lusting for Tywin's wife, and Tyrion mentions dreaming about dragons (I think). The fact that "the dragon has three heads" makes it seem like Dany, Jon Snow, and Tyrion will eventually be revealed as the three Targ heirs...meaning the Lannisters are on the way out.

When he said it, it was more along the lines of 'I wished I had dragons as a kid' than 'I went to sleep each time and dreamt of dragons'.

i seriously think tyrion is going to end up with castorly rock else there wouldnt be such a build up too it/discussion in the books, you dont do anything for nothing

I agree with you, but basically ever single build in this series ends being a red herring. I have no faith in buildups in this series. Love the books, just saying

The way he sacrificed his own happiness to marry Sansa....all for the further advancement of his House.

Please, please, please, please go to the Sansa re-read thread and make this statement.

I would really enjoy watching an autopsy performed on a living body.

Please, please, please, please, pretty please?

When he said it, it was more along the lines of 'I wished I had dragons as a kid' than 'I went to sleep each time and dreamt of dragons'.

Yes, i think the same: just a dream, a wish of seeing real, live dragons.

And with so many secret Targaryens around, probably we would discover in ADOS that everyone, except Daenerys, is a Targaryen...

Tyrion doesn`t have any right to Casterly Rock and to the Lordship of the Westerlands, since he murdered his father.

Neither Tommen or Myrcella, because they are the offspring of a incestuous relation between the golden twins.

Tommen and Myrcella are not Robert's children, so they shouldn't inherit the crown. They are, however 100% Lannister - being the children of incest won't cancel their rights as Lannisters. Their status as bastards might.

ETA: Except they are not bastards, since they were born to a married couple, whether or not the couple were both parents. They were still born within a marriage.

Archived