Arya in season 2

Arataniello

Out of all the character arcs in season 2, I am looking forward the most to Arya's. I really hope that they managed to do it justice. Ser Amory Lorch, her time with the villagers, Vargo Hoat, Roose Bolton, weasel soup. We haven't seen much of it in the trailers beyond a couple of shots of Arya herself.

Most boring arc?!

There was full of action and intrigue in it and a lot of cool characters involved.

Anyways I'm bracing myself to be let down by how they adapt Rorge and Biter, but Jaqen seems pretty spot on. We'll not be having and Vargo Hoat and probably no Bloody Mummers which is a shame.

There were some good parts but yeah the Arya chapters in COK were boring as hell if you ask me. Everytime I read that book I get put off when I see that name on the page and sometimes it seems like that's every other chapter. The two things I love about ASOIAF is the political intrigue and the magic. Jaqen adds a little bit of the later, but for me there's little to get excited about with a 9 year old girl wandering about the woods doing not very much. And where are the interesting characters pray tell? Jaqen and Yoren are interesting, and Hoats makes a good villain, but he's hardly in COK. Gendry's annoying and the other characters like Weese and Chiswyck are so one dimensional they belong in Essos!

And now it seems they're combining Vargo with Amory. This makes no sense to me. Hoat always had a lot more flare and colour than Lorch, but I guess they didn't want to cause confusion about why they had someone from Essos working for the Lannisters.

It didn't need resolution. The journey itself was more important.

Only it wasn't, on account of it not affecting the plot at all. Only Arya could be given magic wishes to kill any three people in the world and not affect the plot one bit.

Only it wasn't, on account of it not affecting the plot at all. Only Arya could be given magic wishes to kill any three people in the world and not affect the plot one bit.

It wasn't important because it affected the rest of the plot a lot. It was important because it told a good story with many themes that are central to the entire series.

Have to agree with the pro-Arya camp here. Books are not JUST about plotlines. As far as I'm concerned they're about characters too, and tracing Arya's journey was a joy for me, I'm afraid. I engaged with her in the first book, and in the first series. From the day she got Needle I just knew the kid would kick ass as the series went on.

But one reader's boredom is another's investment. I feel about Theon, as Protar feels about Arya.

My favorite Arc in book 2 alongside Theon. I really hope it's given the attention it deserves. I do have to wonder how they're going to handle the Harrenhal parts.

Which plot? She did play a big part in the

capture of Harrenhal,

which had serious consequences for other characters down the road. He's right about the journey though; this is a character driven story at it's heart, and that is, overall, more important than pure plot points. Dany's arc didn't affect anything outside her circle at all in Book 2, but it was still a hugely important part of her journey. Same goes for Arya's chapters.

It's a 7 book series (we hope). Surely we shouldn't really be expecting any resolution until the final book.

Yes, we should. Please tell me A Storm of Swords did not satisfyingly offer resolution to about ten different plot treads - namely, the ones that were started in that book, whilst simultaneously setting up a few new ones for future books. This is how a "series" of novels should work. Each one should be functional on its own, whilst still contributing to the whole. Arya's arc in A Clash of Kings does not do this, nor do half of the arcs in AFfC and ADwD.

Also, the journey really isn't more important. I see that sentence bandied about all the time. No. This isn't a third-grade adventure book where they go searching for the ultimate treasure and discover that it was within their hearts all along. Endings matter.

Yes, we should. Please tell me A Storm of Swords did not satisfyingly offer resolution to about ten different plot treads - namely, the ones that were started in that book, whilst simultaneously setting up a few new ones for future books.

Of course it did, as it was the end of act one. The previous books were, obviously, in the middle of that act, so they're not going to be as final.

This is how a "series" of novels should work. Each one should be functional on its own, whilst still contributing to the whole. Arya's arc in A Clash of Kings does not do this, nor do half of the arcs in AFfC and ADwD.

Arya's arc in Clash did all of that. And I'd like to point out that while certain character's actions may seem irrelevant, or not directly connecting to anything at the moment, it doesn't mean there won't be something later that gives those actions further context. They may be a lot more important than they appear.

Also, the journey really isn't more important. I see that sentence bandied about all the time. No. This isn't a third-grade adventure book where they go searching for the ultimate treasure and discover that it was within their hearts all along. Endings matter.

So the journey only matters in third-grade adventure books now? Yes, endings matter, and thankfully, all the arcs have some type of end. Some of them aren't as satisfying as others, but that's all part of being a series of books.

I don't get people who just rant and rave about whether something was essential to the plot... How can you not like Arya's arc? Through her eyes we see: Yoren, Ser Amory, Gregor and his gang, Tywin, Vargo Hoat, Rorge, Biter, Jaqen... We get our first in depth look at Roose Bolton... I thought it was my favorite arc of the 2nd book... Who cares if it didn't affect the overall plot... Sometimes I wonder why people read books... Sometimes its to get a good story or to be entertained... Arya is 10 years old in this book, she frees the northmen without realizing Vargo Hoat was going to free them anyway... so it wasn't essential, but it was awesome! What about the part where the Frey boy is crying about a princess and arya says i hope your princess dies without realizing the princess is HER. I mean come on people get serious... If you only care about "the essential plot line" why don't you read wikipedia instead of the books themselves?

Archived