Your Kingsguard

greygnarl

KG 1: Lord Commander Ser Barristan Selmy. I don't think he could do anything else in his life. He was born for that.

KG 2: Ser Jaime Lannister. If he's two-handed he's undefeatable. And even if he's not, people fear him.

KG 3: Brienne of Tarth. Once she's sworn an oath, she'll do her best to keep it.

KG 4: Lord Beric Dondarrion. He knows what's right and what's wrong.

KG 5: Ser Garlan Tyrell, the only true knight of House Tyrell.

KG 6: Aegon Targaryen or whoever that kid actually is. Varys's description quite convinced me.

KG 7: Blackfish Tully. Badass.

Good post greygnarl!

Mine would be

-Barristan Selmy

-Jaime Lannister

-Balon Swann

-Qhorin Halfhand ETA: Brynden Tully

-Oberyn Martell (he can keep his spear!)

-Brienne of Tarth

-STRONG BELWAS!

1. LC Jaime Lannister (this is a post SoS Jaime personality wise, but he has a hand)

2. Balon Swann

3. Garlan Tyrell

4. Lyn Corbray

5. Lyle Crakehall

6. Brienne Tarth

7. Lothor Brune (quiet. very loyal. Doesn't necessarily seem to have his own motivations)

Not necessarily the most conventional. I'd want a relatively young KG because since they serve for life I wouldn't really want to keep replacing old men. Lothor Brune and Lyn Corbray are the oldest that I listed, and their probably in their forties at the latest.

Aside from just picking the strongest fighters, I think it's important to consider their loyalty and honor. Also, have to follow the rules for the topic: alive, at least at beginning of Game of Thrones; and the general rules for the Kingsguard (not married or Lords or heirs)

I'd go with:

Lord Commander: Ser Barristan Selmy

Ser Brynden Tully (the Blackfish)

Ser Archibald Yronwood

Ser Balon Swann

Ser Lyle Crakehall

Ser Rolland Storm (the Bastard of Nightsong)

Ser Loras Tyrell

I think those 7 cover a good age range (Barristan and Brynden are older, and Loras quite young - I think he'd be a great with the opportunity to learn from those 2). Arch has shown his loyalty, fighting ability, and willingness to think/do the 'right' thing. Balon has acquitted himself well. Lyle is a very strong fighter, and gives the guard a western flavor - a bit of a boaster, but he doesn't seem like the turncoat or devious type. Ser Rolland Storm is another excellent fighter, who seems to have at least some ability to command. Also, a fairly good spread from the 7 Kingdoms.

Jaime Lannister is out - can't have someone who killed a former King, no matter how terrible (Tywin wants him back as heir anyway, so this wouldn't be a slight - probably viewed as a favor to Tywin). Others also mentioned Ser Garlan Tyrell - he's married, so I crossed him off my list.

Also considered: Ser Herras Harlaw - my 8th choice (actually higher - but I believe he is actually the Reader's heir as Game of Thrones opens, thus eliminating him from Kingsguard consideration).

Ser Daven Lannister - should please the Lannisters, while keeping Jaime as an heir, he seems capable.

Jon Snow - no need to worry about betrayal, another good young candidate

Ser Robar Royce - decent sword/Lance, powerful family

I would feel pretty good with those 7 protecting me.

The Lord Commander

KG 01: Ser Barristan Selmy

The Second-In-Command

KG 02: Sandor Clegane

The King's Personal Guards

KG 02 &

KG 03: Ser Bronn of the Blackwater

The Ambassador/Emissary

KG 04: Beric Dondarrion

The Muscle/"Try Me First"

KG 05: Ser Jaime Lannister

The Quota Makers/"The Other Guys"

KG 06: Qhorin Halfhand

KG 07: Mance Rayder

My Kingsguard - With some of thding time time to grow up

1) Lord Commander Ser Barristan 'The Bold' Selmy (Stormlands)

2) Ser Gerold Dayne 'Darkstar' (Dorne)

3) Ser Brandon Stark (with Summer in tow) (North)

4) Jon Snow (with Ghost) (North)

5) Sandor Clegane 'The Hound' (Westerlands)

6) Brienne of Tarth (Stormlands)

7) Ser Loras Tyrell 'Knight of Flowers' (Not one for the ladies so its all good) (The Reach)

8) A Royce from the Vale

9) A Riverlands Knight

Jaime - Lord Commander - ten times the man Selmy is.

Mance Rayder - the body guard who can also provide some tunes....

The Hound - second choice for LC.

Areo Hotah - fulfills the meathead quota

Brienne of Tarth - most loyal person in the books

Bronn - between him, the Hound and Jaime it's a regular comedy club up in this KG. With a high body count.

Jon Snow

not crazy about the Hotah pick...

• 7 months later...

Archived