Why do you Hate Robert Baratheon?

Wales338

I actually also like Robert.

For me, smashing a Targ to pieces with a giant hammer trumps all of your faults.

Without exception every memory of Rhaegar not told by Robert is a positive one, and every thought about Rhaegar is positive.

Without exception Robert does the wrong thing as king, he proves a horrible father, a wife beating wife raping husband, a horrible brother, a bad friend, he womanizes with 14 year old girls, and is always drunk. He was good before becoming king, but on the throne he does everything wrong.

The DwD sections told by Ser Barristan are full of remorse over the fact that maybe if he had defeated Rhaegar he could have prevented the romance with Lyanna and so the good man woud have become king.

The more extreme a no brainer challenge Robert had as king the worst an answer he gave, i.e. see how Stannis and Jon failed to unseat Slynt.

And lets end the idea that all he wanted was Lyanna. He idolizes her after her death, while she was alive she didn't want to marry him, and during one week alone he had dozens of prostitutes. He didn't have one slip, he was sleeping with anyone he could. He wasn't bad yet, the turning bad probably started when he started worshipping Lyanna's "memory" as an excuse not to try to do anything.

Agreed. The Mad King and his devil spawn :devil: needed to go.

Robert would make a great wingman :cheers: and would always have your back in a bar fight :box: or brothel :smileysex:

IMO Robert also would have gladly allowed Ned to take the throne in his stead had Ned wanted it. Robert wanted Lyanna and revenge for Lyanna and to a lesser extent for Rickard, and Brandon. Robert did not rebel for the sake of the throne itself.

<edit spelling>

Why didn't he rebel when Lyanna was kidnapped then, but instead waited until his own head was demanded?

Rapist, wife beater, idiot, drunken sot, can't understand Ned his friend, won't be nice to Cersei his wife or Joffery his son even though he needs them to continue to rule, can't think through a damn thing, and won KL became king and then didn't go look for Lyanna. There was a thread not too long ago about how long Ned looked for Lyanna after the Trident AND KL AND relieving the stormlands. Months at least that Ned was looking for his sister. No mention of Robert looking for her. He never loved Lyanna, he just wanted to romanticize his life after the fact. To me it is a great tragedy of the books that Ned was so dedicated to this guy who was fundamentally so crappy.

Mostly because he only cared about himself and his excesses..Two examples:

1. He could not be man enough to rule the kingdom and allowed Jon Aryan to be murdered and then dragged Ned into a Cesspool of intrigue all so he did not have to rule in person. If he Loved Ned he would have allowed him to live in peace in the north.

2.He abused Cersei and flaunted his position.

Thought he was a bit of blustery fun on my first read. On my second I realized that he was not only a bad king, but a pretty awful husband, friend, and father as well. What did Ned ever see in this guy?

Thought he was a bit of blustery fun on my first read. On my second I realized that he was not only a bad king, but a pretty awful husband, friend, and father as well. What did Ned ever see in this guy?

Muscled like a maiden's dream.

Muscled like a maiden's dream.

ha oh right! how could I forget

Ned did seem crushed when he saw how much weight his "friend" had gained...no longer the man of his dreams.

Theon has the redemptive arc in ADWD that sort of makes up for his betrayal. I still hate him for turning on the Starks but Ramsey did chop off his pen15 so you can feel sorry for the guy.

As for lord Tywin, he didn't start the war and he doesn't approve of his grandson as the king but he puts the houses honor above all else and finishes the war. You can't really put too much blame on him.

Ramsey is a terrible human being without a single redemptive quality, the deepest circle of the 7 hells is reserved for him.

err very few characters, if any, can compete with tywin. he systematically orders pillaging, rape, torture, and murder all this on the civilian population. on top of that he arranges for breaking every moral code in westeros including guest rights and he abuses his own children. ramsy and gregor are not even close to tywin, they are just nasty pawns played by him.

Ned was noted as the "Quiet Wolf" in the KOTL and it was said that Brandon had to ask Ashara to dance with him. I think that, for Ned, someone like Robert who is blustery and outgoing and a guy always trying to have fun is necessary. I don't doubt that Robert probably helped him out of his shell, at least a little, and to loosen up and have fun. Plus, the other thing is that I always get in the impression that nobles don't really have friends, especially those from the Great Houses. Not many of them. So having a fellow foster brother is probably the only chance he really had to make one. It's probably a combination of stuff like that.

Robert just wasn't cut out to be a king, and couldn't handle all the stuff that came along with it. He got stuck in a marriage that neither party wanted and was chock full of infidelity by both parties from the get go. He was completely unqualified for and uninterested in ruling the realm. He was a drunk.

I think he was overall a decent guy, just marriage and being a king were two things he couldn't handle at all.

I don't hate Robert, I pity him. He was an awful king, husband, father, friend and brother and a very unhappy person. I always asked myself if he started drinking, because he realised, that he was a failure to all around him or if he started drinking because he lost Lyanna and is stuck in an unhappy marriage and a job, he obviously doesn't like and then become a failure. In any kind, I guess, Cersei just speeded up his dying. The sad thing is, he could have been so much better, if he wasn't the one ending up on that throne. Of course, his unhappiness is no excuse to abuse his wife and children.

He was a drunken idiot, basically. There were likeable aspects of him and as a young man Robert was a good person, but the minute he sat on the iron throne, he degenerated. He just couldn't handle the power and excesses that came with the position.

Having seen the series first, my perception of him is affected by the more humane portrayal in it. He's certainly a bad king, and has done a lot of bad things; but he realizes that, and how shitty a situation he's in... and he tries to drown the guilt with hedonism. Weak, yes, and he's certainly not likable, but one can sympathize with him.

Because he sucks at everything. He's a lousy, lazy, drunken barbarian of a king. He didn't take the effort to care for any of his children, either those he thought were his with Cersei or his bastards. He never listened to Eddard when he needed to. He also killed Rhaegar who appears to be a total class act, hell even Lyanna thought he was a loser.

Archived