Heresy 10

Black Crow

I'm still wondering if Mors Umber fits in here somewhere as well - unless he's just camoflage to disguise the significance of Euron's missing occular

"The next day two of them came together to audience; the Greatjon's uncles, blustery men in the winter of their days with beards as white as the bearskin cloaks they wore. A crow had once taken Mors for dead and pecked out his eye, so he wore a chunk of dragonglass in its stead. As old Nan told the tale, he'd grabbed the crow in his fist and bitten its head off, so they named him crowfood..."

Hmm. Birds are normally skittish of living people. I can imagine a crow doing that if Mors seemed to be dead, not just asleep because people move about, talk and snore in their sleep which I'd imagine would put birds off. But if he was in a coma or a trance, then maybe? Where is Uncat? I expect Uncat to be expert in the ways of science and birds to tell us if this is possible. It seems suggestive anyhow.

Then he doesn't wear an eyepatch but he puts piece of obsidian in his socket - now Obsidian screams 'children' to me. It's not the kind of thing I would ever imagine somebody using as an eye piece because it has such sharp edges when it is worked.

Certainly it's all suggestive and definitely very odd.

If you are serious Lykos you should take a break - go swimming or visit the zoo or some other non-GRRM related activity, certainly you should avoid drinking mead or playing cvyasse!

I concur with Lummel. You are one of the nicest people around, Lykos, we need you here with all your lucidity. Didn't Salman Rushdie qualify GRRM's books as addictive – and it wasn't a compliment?

@Lummel: thanks for the Dream of the Rood. Much of what can be known about Celtic or other pagan mythologies has been filtered through christiannity, I guess.

There are birds that don't fear people enough to stay away. The seagulls we have here even attacks people. On my street there were a nest on top of a roof and the seagulls dove down attacking people's heads to scare people off, protecting their little one.

They are also known for stealing food from people, even right out of their hands :) Especially hot dogs, at the train station. Crazy birds...

So imagine a crow that has a soul lingering inside, it would probably be even less scared of humans. An unconscious human would probably not scare them off.

I think Euron and Mors could have been contacted by the crow, or perhaps the crow interfered something. The 3EC pecked at Bran's forehead to open his third eye, and that woke Bran up. It could be related. Bran got three-eye-vision, but Euron and Mors (and Bloodraven) each lost an eye.

I had an idea, that I don't particularly like to be honest... We are pretty sure Bloodraven was glamoring himself in the Mystery Knight, as Maynard Plumm. Isn't that a huge pointer to the fact that we will see something like this again? By someone else, or a cover in stronger effect, like Bloodraven successfully skinchanging a human. Since we were told directly from Bran's POV that he was skinchanging Hodor, I don't think that counts. Perhaps a person like Mors, where the mind is temporarily on vacation so to speak? I wonder if that is possible and if we will see it, or if we have seen it already. Idk it was an uncomfortable idea that came into my head... It could be that it only to pointed towards glamor being used or Bran's skinchanging Hodor.

• 9 months later...

Here is the SSM about the Wall and Martin seems to be his usual evasive self, understanably, I still think it clears up the Wall is mostly ice raised with the aid of magic which I'm sure the magic is still active in the Wall like Mel thinks ( one thing she got right, lol ) and like at Storm's End....

September 09, 2000

The Wall

I am having discussions about the Wall. Some think that it is an impossibility for a structure of that size to remain standing if it is made from ice alone. Personally I think that the wall started of a lot smaller and slowly grew larger over the centuries as the black brothers trampled layer after layer of blue metal or small stones across the top. If that is the case then the wall is probably a mixture of crushed rocks and ice, which in my opinion would be a VERY sturdy construction, as demonstrated by Jon when he filled the barrels with water and used them to crush the battering ram.

Well, the Wall has undoubtedly "eaten" a lot of crushed stone over the centuries and millenia, especially around the castles where the black brothers regularly gravelled the walkways. But there's a lot more ice than there is stone.

Yes, the Wall was much smaller when first raised. It took hundreds of years to complete and thousands to reach it's present height.

If time is permiting would you mind giving a brief description on how the wall was constructed?

Much of those details are lost in the mists of time and legend. No one can even say for certain if Brandon the Builder ever lived. He is as remote from the time of the novels as Noah and Gilgamesh are from our own time.

But one thing I will say, for what it's worth -- more than ice went into the raising of the Wall. Remember, these are =fantasy= novels.

Imagine if the wall is the others! The wall defends itself by sending out magical mists reanimated into others

As this thread has been dormant if not dead for nearly a year can I very kindly invite you to take yourself to the current Heresy 44

What is dead may never die!

Sorry, couldn't resist! Sent a report, should be locked shortly :laugh:

Archived