So, how do you think Jamie will kill Cersei?

Lucreel

I love the idea of Jaime coming back admitting to everything since he's trying to be honest and do the right thing and defeat sir Robert strong in a trial by combat.

However, I think this prophecy of Cersei's death will happen literally by strangulation. What if, given Cersei's past, Jaime sees her in bed with another man and strangles her in a fit of madness and rage, not out of jealousy but anger? After he realizes what he's done he kills himself? So tragic. But I think now he has feelings for Brienne so this scene won't likely do. It could also be Cersei catches how Jaime feels about Brienne, perhaps a kiss between them or a lovers embrace, and kills her in jealousy, which triggers Jaime to go after her and strangle her,then ultimately offs himself after seeing them both dead. As some people previously stated there is a growing rift between the two and it will come to a showdown. Well at least I'd like to see one.

Well whatever the outcome, I do believe they will die together as Cersei said they came into this world together and they'd leave together. I don't want Jaime to die, but I get this feeling he may have to, either by Cersei's hand or his own.

The only way I can see Jaime killing Cersei is if the situation mandated killing her like it did with The Mad King. Perhaps if there is a possibility of Cersei having Tommen, Myrcella, or even Tyrion killed. I kind of think that Jaime won't kill Cersei because it seems a little too expected and GRRM throws a lot of curveballs.

I agree the cause of death will be strangulation when Cersei is about to burn KL. Jaime will strangle her using the Hand's chain ("wrap his hands around your pale white throat"), sometime after he has finally accepted the position of Hand like Cersei wanted. After Cersei loses Tommen and Myrcella, and KL is under attack, she knows the war is lost, and will want go out in style taking out KL with her. After Jaime kills her, he'll probably kill himself. ("We came into this world together, we'll leave it together.")

This sounds exactly how I think it would play out (and it does have to be death by strangulation for her, but not, I'm thinking, for him. Stabbed by Cercei, perhaps as he strangles her? Sworded to death by Robert Strong as he strangles her? ?????

So, we know that Jamie is (very probably) going to kill Cersei. Any thoughts on how/why?

If Jaime is truly the valonqar, then he'll strangulate Cersei. For what reason he'll do this? Cersei hurting Brienne (might be), and he'll realized how mad this woman he once loved so dearly. Or, Cersei will insult him repeatedly about his lost arm or his inability to avenge the death of their father and children, or his poor taste with another woman (Brienne).

If somebody else is the valonqar, Cersei will still die of strangulation. My candidate for possible valonqars will be:

Loras - for his sister Margaery

Sandor - for Sansa

Tyrion - well, he got motives

• 1 month later...

I won't even read the posts on this. Jaime will never kill Cersei. He will let her die, that is apparent from the Raven that says I love you three times. He will not kill her. He loves her but realizes he has to distance himself to regain his honor. Cersei does not have honor, only ambition and the love of her (their) children. But they are not Jaime's children even though he was the sperm donor. Jaime is on a path to regain his honor, he will be the anti-hero.

I'm thinking Lancel. Septa Saranella was the one who told Cersei what "valonqar" meant, and a quick ebook search shows that only Cersei and one Tyroshi dude ever uses the term. If Saranella's Old Valyrian wasn't up to scratch, a whole host of new options crop up. With all the incest going on in Old Valyria, the difference between a cousin and a sibling might not always be clear cut, and their language might reflect that. Lancel then becomes the most obvious, as he has the best motive. He is her spurned lover, and her newfound sanctimoniousness might push him over the edge.

It might be a bit anticlimactic compared to Tyrion or Jaime, but Lancel has a better opportunity than Tyrion, and a better motive than Jaime. There's no way Cersei will wield enough power again to channel Aerys and try to burn KL IMO.

Another thought is that because it's the valonqar, it could also be the valonqar of the "younger, more beautiful queen", which again opens up several new opportunities. Any of Margaery's cousins/siblings (Loras is older than her though), or Sansa's, or Dany's.

I'm thinking Lancel. ... He is her spurned lover, and her newfound sanctimoniousness might push him over the edge.

Cersei didn't find any sanctimoniousness, so I don't see how it could push him over the edge. Lancel seems more stable since he confessed his sins and joined the faith, so he might leave her alone - unless she tries to seduce him again. But yes, Lancel is a good bet for Valonqar. He might just boil over and strangle Cersei at a chance meeting.

Cersei might not wield enough power to burn KL, but she holds power over Myrcella and Tommen. If she betrays her children, it might be enough to push Jaime (who seemed to grow closer to Tommen, and is sworn to protect the king) over the edge. And yet, if Jaime kills her, I expect it to be an act of mercy, not because she has hurt him (or Brienne). He might kill her to spare her a fate worse than death. Even though that raises the question why he would strangle her rather than stab her.

I don't think Tyrion will kill her. I think Tyrion's hatred for his family will burn itself out before they meet again. She is still family, and Tyrion always loved his family despite everything they did to him. I could see Tyrion turning into one of Dany's betrayals, though, if she forces him to choose between her and Jaime/Cersei/Myrcella/Tommen.

Sansa is not a queen, and more likely to become the lady of the Vale than a queen. Loras may be older than Margaery but is still the youngest of three brothers. And passionate enough to strangle someone. Dany doesn't have any kin left who could be the Valonqar unless you count Aegon. She could be the Valonqar herself, though, if Valonqar turns out to be gender neutral. She is Rhaegar and Viserys' youngest sibling after all. I don't see Dany and Aegon resort to strangulation, though.

But doesn't Lancel join the Faith Militant, or whatever it's called? The Westerosi Knights Templar, essentially. Perhaps he is the valonqar and kills Cersei in a way of performing his new duties.

I just really don't want Jaime to do the killing because I want him and Brienne to live happily ever after, shutting themselves inside Casterly Rock and having sword fights every day.

The most likely valonqar from the wording of the prophecy is actually Tommen. Maggy is still speaking about Cersei children and their fates at this point, implying that it's not herbrother, but rather her younger son - the valonqar among her children.

The problem with this is that it's pretty far out of character for Tommen to commit murder kinslaying, and that the prophecy implies that Cersei will outlive her children. A wighted Tommen could work, but I think he's far too much south of the Wall for that to happen anytime soon.

The "valonqar is gender neutral"-theory is likely nonsense. It seemingly stems entirely from Maester Aemons musings that the Valyrian word for dragon is gender neutral - something that certainly don't imply that all words in that language are likewise!

It could be that she'll tell Qyburn to bring Tommen back and then FrankenTommen will kill her. I just hope that doesn't happen to poor Tommen.

It could be that she'll tell Qyburn to bring Tommen back and then FrankenTommen will kill her. I just hope that doesn't happen to poor Tommen.

It is only the prophesy that says that Cersei will outlive all her children. But it doesn't say that, does it. It just says "Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."

It doesn't say that she will actually see her children's shrouds. But even if she does, it doesn't necessarily mean that her children are dead. We have seen Catelyn mourn all her children as dead, but we know for a fact that only Robb died. Sansa and Arya have gone into hiding. The miller's sons were substituted for Bran and Rickon. Some unknown boy may have been substituted for Aegon Targaryen. Maybe Cersei will, at some point, believe Tommen and Myrcella dead as well. (Or she will drown in tears because Tommen and Myrcella no longer take orders from her.)

Tommen may be a docile boy ordinarily but he loves Margaery. He might simply snap if Cersei manages to kill Margaery. Especially if she does it in his name, using his seal and signature, especially because he could have used the same seal and signature to save Margaery. If he lives long enough, he will understand how his signature on empty documents were used against people he liked, and I can see him retaliating.

He is still very young, but unlike Jaime he has two hands he can wrap around Cersei's throat.

It is only the prophesy that says that Cersei will outlive all her children. But it doesn't say that, does it. It just says "Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."

It doesn't say that she will actually see her children's shrouds. But even if she does, it doesn't necessarily mean that her children are dead. We have seen Catelyn mourn all her children as dead, but we know for a fact that only Robb died. Sansa and Arya have gone into hiding. The miller's sons were substituted for Bran and Rickon. Some unknown boy may have been substituted for Aegon Targaryen. Maybe Cersei will, at some point, believe Tommen and Myrcella dead as well. (Or she will drown in tears because Tommen and Myrcella no longer take orders from her.)

Tommen may be a docile boy ordinarily but he loves Margaery. He might simply snap if Cersei manages to kill Margaery. Especially if she does it in his name, using his seal and signature, especially because he could have used the same seal and signature to save Margaery. If he lives long enough, he will understand how his signature on empty documents were used against people he liked, and I can see him retaliating.

He is still very young, but unlike Jaime he has two hands he can wrap around Cersei's throat.

Good point! Those prophecies are just deliberately misleading. I like the idea that Tommen might not die after all, but I still hope he doesn't end up killing his mother no matter what. Even as a mercy killing, it would be horribly traumatic for him.

Pretty traumatic for Cersei too, of course...as hateful as Cersei is, I don't relish the idea of that happening to her either.

Whoever does the killing - I think it will likely happen at CR... As in Cersei has lost everything... maybe a huge defeat at KL and all that is left to the Lannisters is CR...WIth enemies beating down their door all is lost and Jamie strangles Cersei before taking his own life... The final scene perhaps?

Archived