George RR Martin on Land of always winter....

himalyanjon

Benjen Stark scares me, because he can just as easily be working against the good intrest of mankind. I mean...out of all the Starks, he is by far the most mysterious and no one has seen him at all....he just vanished, I do not think he is coldhands and I do not believe he is dead. He was the first ranger. Which Nightswatch man knew more about the Lands beyond the wall than benjen? Benjen scares me because I believe if he were dead or undead we wouldve seen him by now because there would be no reason left to see him. The only reason we still haven't seen him is because he still has a part to play. What that is.....

Benjen Stark scares me, because he can just as easily be working against the good intrest of mankind. I mean...out of all the Starks, he is by far the most mysterious and no one has seen him at all....he just vanished, I do not think he is coldhands and I do not believe he is dead. He was the first ranger. Which Nightswatch man knew more about the Lands beyond the wall than benjen? Benjen scares me because I believe if he were dead or undead we wouldve seen him by now because there would be no reason left to see him. The only reason we still haven't seen him is because he still has a part to play. What that is.....

i don't yhink he'll be evil, a good wight is possible for him

No, I don’t know what you mean. Obviously.

I believe Martin has come to see his world as sort of an alternate reality version of Earth.

I was asking obviously that this is a planet but with context of the story does GRRM use this world as a planet

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Benjen is going to be the POV for the Lands of Always Winter.

It's a gut feeling.

Also I just don't like the idea for Jon warging Ghost up there (How would ghost even get North of the Wall on it's own? Make it all the way up there, and go back in time for Jon to come back and finish his plot, all in 2 books?)

Bran probably can't greenseer up there since, doesn't he need some sort of medium too? As far as we know nothing but Others live there.

Yep, Benjen is the perfect candidate. He could already be there, so we don't have to deal with a character having a whole book of walking, like Bran (kind of) was in the last book. Also you can chalk up his survivability on the fact that he was the First Ranger.

A dragon could get there without needing a big supply train. Maybe...an ICE DRAGON.

People who visited the Antarctic and the extreme north had a heck of a time. People of GRRMs books are going to need some help. Bran et al nearly died just to get to that cave.

Marie

I doubt Bran will be going there, since he's crippled and there probably aren't any trees growing that far north.

I could see Melisandre could go there on some secret mission, since she's not affected by the cold. Maybe she'll team up with Coldhands and/or Benjen.

He wont always need trees accroding to Brynden

There will be weirwoods all over the land of always winter , Bran with his gift of omnipresence will take us there without him having to warg or leave the cave . he can basically be anywhere he wants tobe whenever he wants tobe once he has learned more . his visions now are taking him to places he knows like winterfell , but soon he will be able to cast his eye where he pleases, apart from the south where they have cut down all the weirwood tree's.

the greenseer's have been watching over the people of the north , and bran is going to give us the link to the others and the COTF.

its already been hinted that he's learning to communicate too , theons whispers and the guy teaching him seems tobe communicating thru mormonts raven , Bran's powers are going to make him into a little mini god , being able to control animals and see everything and everywhere at once .

I don't think we'll literally see a character in the Lands of Always Winter, unless it's Bran through super-warging. The implication of GRRM's statement, to me, was simply that we'll learn about it, not that a character will physically go there.

These comments by George are entirely logical and completely supprt my earlier analysis of the Wall as being at least 600 miles south of the Arctic Circle.

Since the Haunted Forest extends at least 600 miles north of the Wall, and since the Arctic Treeline pretty much coincides with the Arctic Circle in the real world, it therefore stands to reason that the Wall has to be well south of 66 degrees north. In fact, I theorized that the Wall must lie at 60 degrees North at most.

Therefore, the Kingdom of the North - far from being the equivalent of Alaska, Northern Canada or Scandinavia, as some have suggested - is in fact equivalent to the US states of Montana, Dakota, Wisconsin, New Hampshire etc. and to European nations such as Germany.

It is the Lands beyond the Wall that are the equivalent of Scandinavia and Alaska.

This can all be easily deduced by where the treeline ends in Westeros compared to where it ends in the real world.

Bottomline: The North isn't as far north as people thought, and is in fact the Germany of Westeros, rather than its Sweden or Alaska.

i can assure you there are no summer snows in gemrany.

Archived