(spoilers) Character deaths

S.S.4.Protoss

First off sorry for my crappy grammar and spelling. Second this post contains spoilers, so only read if you have read all five books. So I myself am a book purist, yet I love what HBO is doing with the sereies. I'm not upset by the changes because simply put, film, wether it's budget, technology or whatever, has not come far enough along to film a totaly purist take on A Song of Ice and Fire with out cutting any character at all, or changing the storylines of some of the minor characters. That being said, I think I can predict what characters are going to be killed off prematurly. Martin said think Tom Bombdail from Lord of The Rings. A great part in the novel,but ultimatly doesn't progess the story further. Or think of Glorefindel syndrom.

So lets take a look at what characters have meet their ends earlier on the show than in the book or in a totaly different way than in the book.

Gared: In the novel he is the night's watch man beheaded by Eddard, in the show he is killed by an Other.

Will: In the novel he is strangled by a wight, in the show he is beheaded by Eddard Stark.

Marillion: This one is still up for grabs. In the novel he survives until the 4th book until Littlefinger has him executed, and he keeps his tounge as well. In the show Marillion has his tongue cut out by Joffrey, while this happens in the book, the singer in question is not Marillion. It remains to be seen if Marillion will pop up back in the Vale on the show or if his role on the show is finid.

Mago: A Dothraki...I think I got the name right who is still alive in the books, but is killed by Drogo in the show.

Dany's Silver: Ok, so maybe this doesn't count...but whatever, the horse dies on the show...but in the book...I can't quit remember, but I think it's still alive.

The Tickler: Ok this is one thing I wish the show didn't do, but the Tickler is the first guy Arya has Jaquen kill on the show, while in the book Jaquen kills a rapist named Chiswyck who is also one of the Mountain's men. Tickler himself doesn't die until the third book where Arya herself kills him, it's one of Arya's best scenes, and I wish they would have left it in the sereies.

Amory Lorch: In the show Amory is the second guy Arya has Jaquen kill, while in the book Roose Bolton has Amory feed to a bear.

Irri: Dany's handmaiden who, in the show, seems to have been killed by the Warlocks of the house of the undieing. In the books she is alive and kicking!

Rakaro: Dany's blood rider. In the show it is said he is killed by one of the Khals Dany vows to kill. In the books, he's alive and well!

Ser Rodrick: While not to different than in the books, Rodrick is killed by Theon Greyjoy in the show, while in the books, Rodrick is killed by Ramsay Snow. Whats intresting to note is that what happens to Rodrick in the show is actually what happens to a character in the books who has been cut from the show. I forget the characters name, but he is the kennel maser at Winterfell. When he disrespects Theon, Theon of course decides to have im executed, but the guy demands Theon swing the sword, and Theon makes a mess of it, just like what he did to Rodrick in the show.

Lommy Greenhands: Ok so I know this is such a small change, and it doesn't bother me one bit, but I want to have a complete list, in the books Lommy is killed by Raff the Sweetling. Raff puts a spear threw his throat. In the show Polevier kills Lommy by putting needle (Arya's sword) threw his throat.

Now lets go over characters,who have lived longer than they actually do in the books.

Mhagen: All though she goes unamed in the books, she is killed, I believe, by Janos Slynt, when she refuses to give up her baby. In the show, as of now she is still alive, a minor change of no real importance, but I wish the show showed Janos killing her, it would have made him an even better villain.

Doreah: She dies in the beging of the second book, while so far on the show she is alive and kicking.

Mikken: A small, small character that only hardcore fans would probably know of, but he exist in the show and has been mentioned by name and was seen in episode 2 of season one and was played by an extra. Mikken is the blacksmith of Winterfell and the guy who forges needle. In the books, I believe Black Loren kills him when Theon invades Winterfell by putting a spear threw his throat, as for the show he's alive and kicking! As far as I know.

Now for the intresting part, this next list is a list of characters who I believe will die in the show, and I'll tell you why.

Ros and any other character invented for the show: Look these characters where made for the show, the creators can do whatever they want with them...and hey it's Song of Ice and Fire, never hurts to up the body count. And they already killed off the Spice King and Alton Lannister. If it's a character created for the show, expect them to die!

Bronn: This may come as a shocker, but I believe Bronn will probably die in the Battle of the Blackwater even thouh he's alive and kicking as of the fifth book. Why do I think this? Well in the books, after the Blackwater, Bronn is married to I think Lollys and he's either made a Lord or Knight or something and gets his own little place or whatever but asides from that he does absolutly nothing past book two asides just hang around and bothering the nobles and any interaction he has with Tyrion pass book 2 can easily be filled by Podrick Payne. He basicaly suffers from Glorfendel syndrom. Now unless Martin has actually told D&D that Bronn has an important role to play in the final two books, I just wouldn't be surprised if he is killed off. Further more the show has a very limited time to show this whole story on screen. Yet they have developed Bronn into a great character, and giving him a good death scene at the Battle of the Black Water is a great way to end his story arc for the t.v. show. Further more, the t.v. show Bronn is taking the place of Jacylen Bywater, who is in fact killed at the Battle of the Black Water by an arrow threw his throat in the books. Just saying...

Shae: Another shocker, I think Shae will die before the end of season two and here is why. First, D&D have already said that they took Shae's stroy in a different direction. Further more in the books there is a character named Chataya who is either the leader of Littlefinger's brothel, or she owns her own brothel or something like that. In the books Tyrion needs her for something important, but I can't remeber what it was, but it did involve Shae. Now in the books Cersei takes either Chayata or one Chayata's whores name Alayaya and has them beatin or something like that, in order to get back at Tyrion for sending Myrcella away. This is when Tyion vows revenge on Cersei and says he will turn her joy to ashes in her mouth or whatever that line is. Now if you have been watching the trailers you know this scene between Tyrion and Cersei is in the show, but Chayata and Alayaya has been cut from the show completly. Now it seems that Ros has takin Chataya's place, BUT Ros has had nothing to do with Tyrion in this season, and if memory serves me correct, in the books, Tyrion uses Chataya's brothel in order to hide Shae, while in the show Tyrion disguises Shae as Sansa's handmaid, which actually happens in the third book. Now in the show I believe Cersei will find out about Tyrion and Shae and have Shae killed by maybe...I dunno Meryn Trent. Thus the scene where Tyrion vows vengence against Cersei will occur. Now I know this is quit a departure from the books, but overall Shae's actual death, while serving some purpose for both Tyrion's and Tywin's development as characters, does not really affect the overall story, so it makes since that the creators will kill her off by the end of this season. I hope I'm making some sense here.

Shagga: While alive and kicking in the books, he and the mountain clans really don't do anything, so I expect them to either be killed at the Battle of the Blackwater on the show or just not mentioned again.

Dagmeir Cleftjaw: Still alive by the fifth book, I believe he will be killed on the show when Ramsay takes over Winterfell. Simply put, he doesn't do anything important in the books after book two.

Rast: In the books he dies when the wildlings attack the wall. In the show I think he will be the one to mutniy against the Lord Commander and kill both him and Craster. Then I think he will try and stop Sam and Gilly from escaping, or he'll try and rape Gilly or something like that, and either Sam, Grenn, Dolorus Edd, or Pyp will kill him. My bet is on it being Sam who makes Rast bite the dust.

Vargo Hoat: If he's casted, and I'm sure he will be, I belive he will bite the dust differently than in the books. In the books Ser Gregor kills him wen he retakes Harrenhal. I personaly was disapointed because I thought that was completly anti climatic. In the show I could see him surviving and being killed by Brienne at the inns along with Rorge and Biter.

Meryn Trent: God I hope this isn't the case but can see them doing this and here's how. In the books Meryn trent is alive and well as of the fifth book. And if I had to choose just one person for Arya to kill n her list I would pick Meryn Trent because it would be awesome to see Arya bust out some bad ass assassin skills on Meryn and kill him. And if this happens in the boo, I diffently want to see it on the show. But I could see the show having Meryn take Ser Mandon Moores place, trying to assasinate Tyrion and having Podrick kill him at the battle of the blackwater.

TheGreat Jon: Now I believe one of two things will happen to him on the show. First, lets go over what happens to him in the books. He becomes one of Robb's most loyal bannermen, and during the red wedding is taken captive at the twins where, by the fifth book, if memory serves me right he still remains. He doesn't quit do anything important, so in the show I think he will either a.) be killed at the red wedding or B) take Wyman Manderly's role. I actually believe option B is the better path for the show to take. Wyman and the Great Jon are basicaly the same character. In the show I can see the Great Jon returning north under Robb's orders. He makes it back to his home killing Ironborns. His son the Small Jon, instead of being killed at the Red Wedding is takin captive. So after the Red Wedding, The Great Jon hears of the events, finds out his son is still alive and basically says he surrenders and supports the Freys. When the Freys and Davos come to see him, he of course plays the same role Manderly does, has his son returned to him by the Freys, sends Davos off to find Rickon in secret, and bakes the Freys into pies and feeds them to Roose Bolton and the gang.

So anyway, thats it so far for my predictions. I think they'll turn out to be mostly right because of another prediction I made turned out to be true. When I heard they casted Lord Karstark for season two, I figured they would go with his orginal story in the books. He wants revenge for the death of his sons by Jamie's hand yada yada yada, but they didn't make any mention of his sons being Killed by Jamie in season 1. So I thought the only way to make this happen would be to have his sons be gaurding Jamie, and Jamie kill them both when he trys to escapes, AND thats exactly what happens. Only difference is Rickard only has one son in the show and he is in fact the gaurd Jamie strangles when he trys to escape. So anyhow thats it, you guys think my predictions for the show will come true or am I a crack pot?!

Some I agree with. Mandon Moore hasn't been introduced so Meryn will likely be taking his place. It's no big deal they're pretty similar in the books. Dagmer, Ros and Shagga etc. I expect to die. Ros is a show creation that they can do what they like with and Dagmer is really a completely different character. Shagga is just an extra.

However I think Shae will die as she did in the books, that's really important for Tyrion's development. But then again she has been shown to be be a pretty different character, being loyal to Sansa for instance (which btw is stupid.) and hinting at a high born background (which btw is very stupid.). So who knows? But personally I think Tyrion will off her. Ros can take Alayaya's place.

I had considered that Bronn might be given Bywater's fate but I don't think so. Martin has said we haven't seen the last of him so he still has a role to play. I think it likely that Rast will take Chett's place, but then that means he can't be present at Craster's (well they could change the plot a bit I suppose.)

Hoat I don't think will be cast. Greatjon could be killed at the RW. I don't think he'll be merged with Manderly though. They must cast Richard Griffiths as Manderly.

I don't know really about Meryn, I think they'll probably have 'extra kingsguard' die instead...

I mean, Trant has been nicely established as covard and would give Jaime someone to beat around in.. well season 4... I suppose he could be replaced by then with someone else ...

Bronn dying, no maybe not. I can't remember who took over the kingsguard after bywater...

...but I don't think Tywin would have trouble with Bronn staying in that position really...

Overall, while this season is less death filled, I don't see the need to go out of their way to kill even more characters that have been established, cast bloat is bad but not that bad..

Bronn is a well-established character in the show by now, and viewers enjoy the banter in his relationship with Tyrion. When Tyrion is on trial in ASOS, Bronn was the one he was hoping would be his champion in any trial by combat. It's important to Tyrion's story to keep Bronn around, so we can see how Tyrion was deserted by two people he thought he could rely on - Bronn and Shae. And if GRRM has indicated that Bronn still has a part to play, all the more reason to keep him around.

Well it wouldn't surprise me if they off Meryn Trant early but I kind of hope they don't because who the hell else are they going to have for comedic kingsguard value in future seasons?

Bronn won't die. He's one of the most popular characters in the series and also played by a relatively famous actor/singer (in england anyway).

I can see why the cut Marillion's tongue out. Now he can't deny he killed Lysa. Works great, IMO.

except surely it won't make sense that lysa would even favor him enough to have him around now? iirc in the book it was his cocky and mocking singing that she liked, although now that i think about it maybe just good playing would be enough.

Bronn dying, no maybe not. I can't remember who took over the kingsguard after bywater...

Addam Marbrand, who is probably an unnecessary character for the show although he may be one of the extras at Tywin's council of war (though none of the characters there look anything like him). They should keep Tyrion strangling Shae, yes it will shock viewers, and that's just the fun of it! What's the point if Tyrion isn't going to be controversial? They could gradually make him more and more bitter during the course of Season 3, that would make perfect sense.

Archived