Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Angalin

[TWoW Spoilers] Theon I, Part 5

"The ironmen are to remain here, supposedly to fight for us. Another gift from Tycho Nestoris."

Qarl the Maid was with her, and Tristifer Botley. Theon had known Botley since they were boys together, back on Pyke. Why has she brought her pets? Does she mean to cut me free? They would end the same way as the Karstarks, if she tried.
The king was displeased by their presence as well. "Your guards may wait without. If I meant harm to you, two men would not dissuade me."
The ironborn bowed and retreated.

Does anyone else find this situation a little bit strange? Stannis' former prisoners were ransomed and are now serving as Stannis' current prisoner's bodyguards. Strikes me as weird that he would allow it, even if they do say they intend to fight for him.

Is there a similar situation anywhere else in the series?

"The ironmen are to remain here, supposedly to fight for us. Another gift from Tycho Nestoris."

Qarl the Maid was with her, and Tristifer Botley. Theon had known Botley since they were boys together, back on Pyke. Why has she brought her pets? Does she mean to cut me free? They would end the same way as the Karstarks, if she tried.

The king was displeased by their presence as well. "Your guards may wait without. If I meant harm to you, two men would not dissuade me."

Does anyone else find this situation a little bit strange? Stannis' former prisoners were ransomed and are now serving as Stannis' current prisoner's bodyguards. Strikes me as weird that he would allow it, even if they do say they intend to fight for him.

I do find it odd that they have so much freedom walking around camp.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the logic of the narrative:

1) Stannis and company take Deepwood Motte and capture at least 8 Ironborn (including Asha).

2) Then, apparently, Stannis gives 7 of the them to House Glover and keeps Asha.

3) As a gift, the Braavosi pays the ransom on the 7 to House Glover and gives them to Stannis to fight for him. But, Stannis doesn't really value them or their loyalty ("supposedly to fight for us"), but then again, he doesn't have much prison space.

So....Stannis was just given back men he gave away that he doesn't really value in the first place?

4) Even though they are "given" to Stannis, the Ironborn immediately go and act as Asha's bodyguards.

Well, I guess Stannis was correct about their value and loyalty.

I mean, on the one hand, Stannis defeated the Ironborn, but on the other hand, Stannis has no real beef with them. He looks at them like the Wildlings: not really his foe, but fought against them symbolically to look like a king and gain support. And just as with the Wildlings, he shows immediate forgiveness to his defeated foe.

He seems to think they are so useless and harmless that he'll let them walk around camp doing what they want, I guess.

I suppose. I'm interested to see what they do during the upcoming battle. Letting a prisoner have 7 armed bodyguards while most of your forces are off fighting seems like asking for trouble, but I can't exactly picture them fighting for Stannis with the rest of the soldiers. Maybe they're willing to help Stannis insofar as it protects Asha from Ramsay. :dunno:

Asha has a bum leg, her ironmen cannot go home for fear of Euron's wrath. Being captured in battle, they are thralls, first to Stannis, then to lord glover and then to the iron bank, then to stannis. their only real hope is Asha and Theon, without those two the men would be fodder. Better to serve stannis than to feel the wrath of the northerners, the boltons or the ironborn under Euron

Jaime the KinSlayer

Remember the wildfire? Cersei had made more and on her downfall, she trys to burn the city to the ground (like the mad king).

It is certainly an interesting turn of events. The Ironborn have been ransomed, and as such aren't prisoners anymore. However, they don't really have anywhere to go and are personally loyal to Asha. Stannis might not like them, and they might not like fighting for Stannis, but all things considered its the best situation for both sides.

It is sort of "strange bedfellows" meets "today's enemy is tomorrow's ally."