[Book Spoiler] Minor characters

Clariana

Yes, we all regret the absence of some secondaries: Patchface, Jojen & Meera...

But I think the series really deserves some kudos for how accurately it has developed others: the Hound, Lancel (one of my favourites, in particular), Roose Bolton, Poderick Payne, Hot Pie... using just a few seconds of screentime...

What do other readers think?

Tough topic for no Spoilers.

I think they've done pretty well with weeding out some of the characters, but there's a few id really like to have seen by now. Especially the Blackfish.

Im reserving full judgement until i see if a certain liver and onion eating chubby guy is cast.

Im meh on pod and hot pie so far. They're ok, but nothing special to me.

I really liked Pod in this episode, yes. Hot Pie, well, we haven't seen him that much. The other minor characters I would like to see are the Tully-family and the Reeds, and they will come next season.

there are so many characters that some have to be left out. I'm perfectly fine with that, so Ros was quite a mistake. Why give her that much screentime while she isn't even a minor character in the book?

Oh well, I still think the producers managed to keep as close to the books as they can with their budget and the time per episode.

I'm disappointed they didn't play up Roose a bit; Michael McElhatton has really nailed the character, but we just don't see him in the same intriguing light Arya did in Clash. Can only hope he shows up at Harrenhal in S3 to meet Jaime and Brienne.

I'm disappointed they didn't play up Roose a bit; Michael McElhatton has really nailed the character, but we just don't see him in the same intriguing light Arya did in Clash. Can only hope he shows up at Harrenhal in S3 to meet Jaime and Brienne.

They have to. I mean, if Talisa won't be Jeyne but indeed some girl of Volantis, then the Red Wedding is altered enough. They need Roose in the next season to make some sort of build-up to the Red Wedding, aside from his bastardson-things. Don't worry about that. (:

I think the show has done a very good job with the characters and in translating the story to the screen.

When I do questions something, I always remind myself that it would likely mean a sacrifice elsewhere and nobody knows what that would or might have been.

I don't mind the show deviating from the book as long as the story remains intact. Thus far, I feel like that has been accomplished.

There are aspects of the changes I like. One being, since I've read the books, I don't know everything that is going to happen in the show.

They have to. I mean, if Talisa won't be Jeyne but indeed some girl of Volantis, then the Red Wedding is altered enough. They need Roose in the next season to make some sort of build-up to the Red Wedding, aside from his bastardson-things. Don't worry about that. (:

A man can hope. I still think they wasted more time than necessary on this NotJeyne/Lady Talisa angle... Wouldn't it have been a lot more powerful if Robb's arc ended with his downfall from the book, where a grief-stricken and injured Robb gives up his oath in a moment of despair and passion to a daughter of his enemy? You know, instead of this burgeoning romance between the king and the "spunky" peasant medic who "just happens" to be a highborn lady? Ugh... -_-

Oh, and since Vargo is in, I want to see his bear. The big black bear. Like Yoren.

I agree. I wish there was more Roose. I liked Lancel this episode. It was done very well to set up his transformation in the future. Don't forget Bronn! I honestly don't mind his added scenes.

I think the strong cast for the minor characters is one of the great things in the show. I liked Jory, liked Barristan and Old Nan immensely, love the cast for Gendry, think they've done a good job on Lysa Tully, pretty much like the guy playing Meryn Trant as well and so on and so forth - it's jjust really well done!

Edit: Just realized I didn't even mention MORD. MORD! And Jaqen ^^

I loved Podrick - he's one of the minor characters, I liked most in the books and I'm glad, he works so well in the show. And although, Lancel is a character, I don't care for in either books and show, he was very good here.

Archived