[Book Spoilers] Fade to Black

Hey yall,

Long time lurker, first addition.

I'd like to preface this comment by saying that I can't exactly recall where this event fits in the time line of the books, but I believe it's not too far into A Storm of Swords.

But.

How awesome would it be for the episode to completely neglect Stannis until the last scene, and then show him performing the ritual where he sacrifices three leeches (engorged with king's blood) while saying the names of the "pretenders?"

"The usurper - Joffrey Baratheon... The usurper - Balon Greyjoy... The usurper [dramatic @ss pause] Robb Stark (¡dun dun dun! curtain)

I'm of the opinion that this would leave people clamoring for the next season and evoke countless exclamations of, "oh no he didn't!" I mean, that'd be my reaction and I've read the books a couple of times a piece.

I know there are a few problems with this scene. Namely, if I recall correctly, the blood in the leeches is supposed to belong to Robert's bastard, Edric Storm. However let me paint a picture for you: A shirtless Stannis standing in front of a fire, back to the camera. Melisandre is standing opposite, talking about the importance of King's blood. While she's speaking she's walking around the flame toward Stannis and the camera pans with her, rotating using the fire as a fulcrum, and remaining focused on her countenance. She then says to name those who should be claimed by the lord of light. When she reaches Stannis' side we see three leeches stuck to his chest. Then he rips them off one by one, tossing them into the fire, delivering the lines above.

I think something like that would give the scene a ritualistic feel to add more mystique to the Red Religion for viewers, and adequately set the stage for next season. And while it's not canon, a scene like this should be enjoyable for readers. Excuse my colloquialism, but as a reader, I think that sh!t would be ballin'.

Not yet, they should end one of the early episode in season three with this.

EDIT: I think the non-book readers would think it's a lame season finale, it's not spectacular. It would be much better to end an episode with it.

As expletivedeleted said, the leeches scene is perfect as an intro to season 3 and is great foreshadowing for the events of ASoS. Three Blasts would definitely close out this season well, but I have a feeling we're going to actually see/hear the White Walkers since D&D said they had Skroth made up by the sound engineer.

Hey yall,

Long time lurker, first addition.

I'd like to preface this comment by saying that I can't exactly recall where this event fits in the time line of the books, but I believe it's not too far into A Storm of Swords.

But.

How awesome would it be for the episode to completely neglect Stannis until the last scene, and then show him performing the ritual where he sacrifices three leeches (engorged with king's blood) while saying the names of the "pretenders?"

"The usurper - Joffrey Baratheon... The usurper - Balon Greyjoy... The usurper [dramatic @ss pause] Robb Stark (¡dun dun dun! curtain)

I'm of the opinion that this would leave people clamoring for the next season and evoke countless exclamations of, "oh no he didn't!" I mean, that'd be my reaction and I've read the books a couple of times a piece.

I know there are a few problems with this scene. Namely, if I recall correctly, the blood in the leeches is supposed to belong to Robert's bastard, Edric Storm. However let me paint a picture for you: A shirtless Stannis standing in front of a fire, back to the camera. Melisandre is standing opposite, talking about the importance of King's blood. While she's speaking she's walking around the flame toward Stannis and the camera pans with her, rotating using the fire as a fulcrum, and remaining focused on her countenance. She then says to name those who should be claimed by the lord of light. When she reaches Stannis' side we see three leeches stuck to his chest. Then he rips them off one by one, tossing them into the fire, delivering the lines above.

I think something like that would give the scene a ritualistic feel to add more mystique to the Red Religion for viewers, and adequately set the stage for next season. And while it's not canon, a scene like this should be enjoyable for readers. Excuse my colloquialism, but as a reader, I think that sh!t would be ballin'.

No that's not a money shot.

I remember when I read that scene in the novel I thought Stannis had become addled. (I am sorry but I fault George for this one.)

Joffrey ... yes ... that's obvious, even tho Joff is ineffective.

Balon, in the long run no threat there.

Robb, if Stannis had any intelligence there he would have known that Robb was the least enthusiastic pretender, in fact in the long run could have been persuaded to go back to taking Ned's job, tho may have been demands for more Northern autonomy.

The logical choices would have been Tywin first, Joff second, and Tyrion.

Even tho the Tywin Tyrion thing has a self-resolution.

More logical than Tyrion would have been or even Joff would have been to nullify House Lannister and House Tyrell, his closest and most immediate threats.

The Greyjoys seemed uninterested or at least a bit addled too. and it seems they would never have the resources.. and the Starks did not care for the South and could be dealt with later.

Except for Joff (and that seems kind of wasted on an ineffectual king) the choices are not strategic.

I am guess because of magic Stannis could not have named The Great Other!

boojam, Stannis performs the ritual because he views all those laying claim to any part of the Seven Kingdoms as usurpers who are denying him his rights. That's why any form of alliance (even temporary) with the likes of Renly or Robb Stark is unthinkable to him.

He's very much addled. To say GRRM is somehow at fault for his character flaw is to miss the point.

boojam, Stannis performs the ritual because he views all those laying claim to any part of the Seven Kingdoms as usurpers who are denying him his rights. That's why any form of alliance (even temporary) with the likes of Renly or Robb Stark is unthinkable to him.

He's very much addled. To say GRRM is somehow at fault for his character flaw is to miss the point.

Geroge wrote him...I think Stannis is addled... but Geroge does not make this clear in that scene.

His choices just seem goofy to me.

But I think *expletivedeleted* is right the deaths were probably just coincidence.

Not yet, they should end one of the early episode in season three with this.

EDIT: I think the non-book readers would think it's a lame season finale, it's not spectacular. It would be much better to end an episode with it.

My thoughts exactly, especially because Stannis doesn't do very much in aSoS.

Three Horns!!!!

Fade to black. Perfect.

almost this.

Horn blast; Sam looks to Ed and says "Have we got rangers out?"

2nd blast; Ed replies "Nope, but the Wildlings have"

3rd blast; camera zooms out from Sam's terrified face; and shows his crotch showing wet.

Fade to Black

i always felt that the three deaths were more to prove a point then anything else. i dont think Mels rituals actually contributed the deaths, rather she had already seen their deaths and saw an opportunity.

and this

Yep all 3 were already on the path to their deaths.

Hell Balon's assassin was slow but was already on the move before Robert even died.

Robb has already lost the Boltons/Freys.

Joffrey was dead asoon as Sansa told QoT he was an arsehole.

Posted this in the other thread, but I thought maybe it should go here as well, consider the conversation.

We may be treated to some "Sam the Slayer" action in tonight's finale, based on this. So, maybe we'll see a bit of the fight at the Fist.

"Access: So on to the Season 2 finale… Last we saw Sam, he found dragonglass in Episode 8. What’s coming up?

John: Without giving too much away, basically, Samwell, who doesn’t feel that he could ever really have much of an effect on anything when it comes to helping the Night’s Watch do what they have to do, suddenly finds through finding this dragonglass, this obsidian that he’s got, that he’s found a way of doing something that — up until then — was a complete mystery to anybody else. So, through this dragonglass, he finds his worth as a member of the Night’s Watch."

Archived