Scif/Fantasy Authors who hate scifi/fantasy and/or their fans.

Grack21

I forgot Simmons time traveling war-with-Muslims thing. This reminds me of Grant Morrison's review of Frank Miller's nonsense:

Batman vs. Al Qaeda! It might as well be Bin Laden vs. King Kong! Or how about the sinister Al Qaeda mastermind up against a hungry Hannibal Lecter! For all the good it's likely to do. Cheering on a fictional character as he beats up fictionalized terrorists seems like a decadent indulgence when real terrorists are killing real people in the real world. I'd be so much more impressed if Frank Miller gave up all this graphic novel nonsense, joined the Army and, with a howl of undying hate, rushed headlong onto the front lines with the young soldiers who are actually risking life and limb 'vs' Al Qaeda.

It would be difficult to whack an author with half a bannister. He's the guy who broke the 4 minute mile. It's a banister you're after.

Well, actually....if yer gonna be terribly precise.....

In American, in any case, a "banister" is the long long rail that goes up the side of the stair. Kinda hard to have "half" of one of those.

The word you are probably looking for is actually "baluster", which refers to the vertical supports which hold the banister up.

/pedant

Well, actually....if yer gonna be terribly precise.....

In American, in any case, a "banister" is the long long rail that goes up the side of the stair. Kinda hard to have "half" of one of those.

The word you are probably looking for is actually "baluster", which refers to the vertical supports which hold the banister up.

/pedant

oh you could have half of one. it would just be very unwieldy and hard to whack someone with

oh you could have half of one. it would just be very unwieldy and hard to whack someone with

Since I was being Terribly Precise, I shoulda said something like "*usually* refers to" or "more generally refers to". I just looked up the terms some more, and apparently there's actually quite a bit of overlap between the two terms. And "banister" is often used to indicate both the vertical and horizontal elements together, which would be especially difficult to whack somebody with.

/pedant again

"Bannister" is a valid variant U.S. spelling according to the American Heritage Dictionary, but the single-N version is preferred. And I'm sorry and sheepish over here, but I got paid to say things like the preceding sentence for ten years; it's reflex. *hides*

As, I am reasonably sure, the only author around here who has actually been hit over the head with a banister, baluster, or bannister, I demand the proper respect accorded to real life experience.

Hey, I would think getting whacked with a whole banister would be much more impressive than getting whacked with a mere baluster. I salaam in your general direction.

Not exactly hating (though she's "not a huge fan of fantasy") but I was terribly amused by JKR saying she hadn't realised that her series was fantasy until after it was published.

Pratchett's response was priceless.

Not exactly hating (though she's "not a huge fan of fantasy") but I was terribly amused by JKR saying she hadn't realised that her series was fantasy until after it was published.

Pratchett's response was priceless.

I thought Pratchett's response to that was just a mean spirited old man being an asshole. I intensely dislike that man.

Hilariously, the "astonishingly badly written and worse researched" Time magazine article about Rowling that set Gaiman and Pratchett off came from none other than future fantasy author Lev Grossman.

I thought Pratchett's response to that was just a mean spirited old man being an asshole. I intensely dislike that man.

Really?? You and I are certainly finding a lot to disagree on lately...That might make for an interesting new thread: well-regarded authors you somehow don't care for. Mine's Neil Gaiman, as it turns out.

Archived