Do you believe Aegon?

LordBiscuit

All this will always remind me of all the supposed Star Wars experts who were 110% certain that Palpatine and Sidious were 2 different people entirely.

Always desperately clinging at their pet conspiracy theories.

Aegon being dead isn't anyone's "pet conspiracy theory", it's a fact well established in-universe. On the other hand, "someone switched babies, no one noticed, Aegon is still alive" is an actual conspiracy theory. Your pet conspiracy theory, looks like.

What about the evidence where GRRM refused for years to confirm Aegons death but did confirm that of his sister?

Conveniently never pointed out in these threads either.

Really never pointed out? I take your word for it, I'm certain you checked them all. Sounds a little bit weird, but OK.

And as for it being 'evidence' of anything - sorry, it's not. The author couldn't very well publicly say "yeah, Aegon is one hundred percent dead, case closed", if he wanted to use this red herring. Just like GRRM refusing to reveal details re: Jon's parentage doesn't confirm any specific theory, it just leaves a lot of doors open.

Aegon being dead isn't anyone's "pet conspiracy theory", it's a fact well established in-universe. On the other hand, "someone switched babies, no one noticed, Aegon is still alive" is an actual conspiracy theory. Your pet conspiracy theory, looks like.

That's not entirely fair. Characters in the book have openly stated "Aegon is alive, someone switched babies". It is still a conspiracy, but it's not some fan's pet theory; it's an established in-universe possibility (not fact). That the person who supposedly performed the switch has stated that Aegon is alive moves it out of the realm of "conspiracy theory". Even if it's disproved now, it's just a lie, or a red herring, not a conspiracy theory.

On the other hand, "Aegon is a Blackfyre" or "Aegon is Illyrio's son" are fan conspiracy theories based on circumstantial evidence. People might believe that the circumstantial evidence for one of those outweighs the statements that Aegon is who he says he is and that's their prerogative. There is certainly enough left open to question to make either a possibility. But dismissing what we have been actually told as a lie and concocting another explanation - that's the conspiracy theory.

Vary's wouldn't have had to switch out the baby under anything more than the risk of a sack. R+L=J relies on the assumption that they'd go through a lot of trouble to protect a newborn son of Rhaegar but Aegon being Blackfyre relies on the assumption that they wouldn't have done the same for baby Aegon.

Even if he possesses Blackfyre blood he was never raised as anything other than Aegon unless he's a very skilled liar. What is the benefit in putting some Blackfyre on the throne who doesn't believe he's a Blackfyre and who's claim rests on nobody every accusing him of it?

Do the Aegon Blackfyre theorists believe that the Golden Company knows he is no Targaryen? (thus the reason why they would break a contract, as the argument goes) If so, a whole mercenary company is keeping the world's most widely known, yet best kept secret.

My guess is that Myles Toyne knew when he made the contract, but didn't share the information and it died with him. He didn't share Jon Connington's secret with anyone either.

Even if he possesses Blackfyre blood he was never raised as anything other than Aegon unless he's a very skilled liar. What is the benefit in putting some Blackfyre on the throne who doesn't believe he's a Blackfyre and who's claim rests on nobody every accusing him of it?

I have no doubt Aegon believes he is the son of Rhaegar Targaryen.

As for the benefit, it's about revenge. The Blackfyres will replace the mainstream Targ line. Additionally, given that a century has passed since anyone actually cared about the notion that Aegon IV's legitimate heir was not Daeron the Good, this is also probably the only way that they can assume the throne of Westeros.

As for being accused of it, he'll be challenged as an impostor - Blackfyre or standard issue - but what matters isn't the truth, it's what people believe. King Joffrey's reign didn't end with Stannis' letter.

But the Blackfyre's wouldn't replace the Targaryeans. Varys/???/Illyrio would know it and then eventually die of old age and the Targaryean line would continue under a lie nobody knows about. Hardly fitting the Blackfyre legacy IMHO.

The only other scenario I could see is if Aegon is really Aegon (as in Rhaegar's son, though I don't buy it), but that the Golden Company are just using him to get back to Westeros and get some revenge/or put a Blackfyre on the throne (though who the heck would it be in that case, I don't know).

I think the Throne will go to the person who plays the game best, not just the person with a couple dragons on their side. Aegon has a better shot (whether he's black or red) than the rest and Maegery could always use a 4th Husband.

If the kids throws a tantrum and acts like an ass over losing a simple game of chess, how is he going to react when he loses a real battle? Hecould be the type that will kill his own people out of spite when he can't kill his enemies. Sort of like a Lite beer version of Jeoffery.

I'm sure that he believes, 100%, that he's Aegon Targaryen. Is he? No. No he is not.

ETA: That's not to say that he'll end up being pointless, or that he doesn't have a shot at sitting on the throne for a little while. But as for him being Rhaegar's actual son, no, I don't believe it at all.

I did at first, though I think it was more wishful thinking than anything. After reading all about this topic in this forum there is more evidence supporting the theory he's a Blackfyre...then again it's George and we could get a complete curveball thrown at us, haha.

I did at first, though I think it was more wishful thinking than anything. After reading all about this topic in this forum there is more evidence supporting the theory he's a Blackfyre...then again it's George and we could get a complete curveball thrown at us, haha.

I'm not sure GRRM does curveballs as much as people think. The vast majority of developments, even the more shocking ones (like the Red Wedding) were foreshadowed, sometimes heavily.

Archived