(Book spoilers) Reunion of Arya and Sansa

Ice Turtle

To quote Arya's answer to Jequen's request to go with him to Braavos:

"I want to. But I can't. I need to find my brother and mother. And my sister. I need to find her, too."

We know that Arya won't find Cat and Robb (UnCat doesn't count) but anyone else thinks that her eventual reunion with Sansa is somehow emphasized?

I really really hope they do get to reunite at some point. I'm so invested in the remaining Starks finding each other again and having a big group hug. Way more invested in that than in any of the bigger plots tbh.

I've been thinking for awhile that I would love it if Sansa and Nymeria crossed paths at some point. If Nymeria were to protect Sansa somehow, it would be an interesting development in the direwolf warging, and on the sibling bonds of the Starks. /ot

I really really hope they do get to reunite at some point. I'm so invested in the remaining Starks finding each other again and having a big group hug. Way more invested in that than in any of the bigger plots tbh.

I've been thinking for awhile that I would love it if Sansa and Nymeria crossed paths at some point. If Nymeria were to protect Sansa somehow, it would be an interesting development in the direwolf warging, and on the sibling bonds of the Starks. /ot

Slight tangent: I don't think Arya will ever come back to Westeros, and that she will be killed in the house of black and white. Whereupon she will warg into Nymeria and run into Sansa who is fleeing the Vale for the riverlands. Any doubt that Sansa is who she claims to be will be settled by a direwolf at her side and a huge wolf pack at her back.

There's some symmetry in this - Sansa is the Stark that lost her wolf, and Arya is the Stark that has (arguably) lost her humanity.

I don't think that was foreshadowing but GRRM said that Arya and Sansa have issues that they need to work out so I believe that they will see each other.

Nymeria is one that I'm not sure but she may be lost to the Starks. In ACoK Bran noted that Shaggydog scared him sometimes and Nymeria is currently much more dangerous than Shaggydog was.

Arya would have to control her when she wargs. It's unclear if she did so when Nymeria got Cat's body or if that was Nymeria's doing.

EDIT: Cat foresaw Arya as a warrior in ACoK and I think the only way she can do that is through Nymeria's pack or riding a dragon. She's not a Brienne. I think Arya and Nymeria will cross paths but at this point I think it's almost impossible for Nymeria to be a domesticated wolf again. She has become too wild for too long.

In answer to the original question, I don't think its anymore than the fact the Arya remembers Ned told her that family has to stick together. So she adds Sansa to the end of the list of people she wants to find. The future of Arya is hidden in the mind of GRRM, but I see all the good-ish characters that are left: Arya, Jon(?), Tyrion, Dany, Sam Tarley banding together Avengers-like to fight the last alliance of baddies.

But why didn't she mention Bran/Rickon? I assume it's cuz she knows where they are (Winterfell) -- or did word get to her that they were 'killed' by Theon? I didn't think so... and I still don't... just thought it was strange to not even mention them. (Again, Arya is probably presuming they are safe at home, but I'm just curious).

I think Arya and Nymeria will cross paths but at this point I think it's almost impossible for Nymeria to be a domesticated wolf again. She has become too wild for too long.

Not only is everything you said above true, it also applies to both Arya and Nymeria. My crackpot theory about her death aside, no one sees and does the things Arya has and comes back the same person. The wolf who lost her pack will never play well with others.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."

That is what I got from that. That Arya is more mature and realizes the stupid squabbles didn't matter and she loves her sister no matter what. She is family.

Not only is everything you said above true, it also applies to both Arya and Nymeria. My crackpot theory about her death aside, no one sees and does the things Arya has and comes back the same person. The wolf who lost her pack will never play well with others.

Nymeria acquired a new pack though so she may no longer see a need of her old pack. Arya herself currently doesn't have a pack besides in her dreams.

Nymeria acquired a new pack though so she may no longer see a need of her old pack. Arya herself currently doesn't have a pack besides in her dreams.

Well Nym's new pack may not be as important to her as her old one (with her brothers and sister). The direwolves have always shown connection. They all howl together, even when separated by half the continent. I am not giving my backing to the CPT, but Nym may not really have a new pack, just a filler.

Well Nym's new pack may not be as important to her as her old one (with her brothers and sister). The direwolves have always shown connection. They all howl together, even when separated by half the continent. I am not giving my backing to the CPT, but Nym may not really have a new pack, just a filler.

She's still connected to her old pack but IDK if she'd want to leave her new pack and rejoin them. She's in charge now like a sort of alpha female. She'd have to submit to one of her brothers if she returned to them.

Ghost/Jon referred to them as her pack in the wolf dream:

"Many a night his sister's pack gorged on the flesh of sheep and cows and horses, the prey of men, and sometimes even on the flesh of man himself."

She's still connected to her old pack but IDK if she'd want to leave her new pack and rejoin them. She's in charge now like a sort of alpha female. She'd have to submit to one of her brothers if she returned to them.

Ghost/Jon referred to them as her pack in the wolf dream:

Yes, but we are meaning different things by pack. I mean it like family, not necessarily the group she is with. Like home. Home to you may not be where you live.

Yes, but we are meaning different things by pack. I mean it like family, not necessarily the group she is with. Like home. Home to you may not be where you live.

They were referred to as her grey cousins in the text but they're not her literal family.

Her home is the wild now. I think that's more natural for a direwolf anyway but most may prefer to be beyond the wall. Arya was referred to as a forest lass in a song in ASOS. She wants to be free. Maybe Nymeria does too.

It's not to say that she doesn't care about her siblings but she may be past the point of wanting to stay with them for a prolonged period.

They were referred to as her grey cousins in the text but they're not her literal family.

Her home is the wild now. I think that's more natural for a direwolf anyway but most may prefer to be beyond the wall. Arya was referred to as a forest lass in a song in ASOS. She wants to be free. Maybe Nymeria does too.

It's not to say that she doesn't care about her siblings but she may be past the point of wanting to stay with them for a prolonged period.

I interpreted her watching over the Starks as her holding on to her past.

I interpreted her watching over the Starks as her holding on to her past.

Most don't completely detach themselves from their past when they're making a new life for themselves.

I definitely believe that Arya was quite near Nymeria's pack when she was with the BWB but Nymeria kept her distance even though she may have been watching over her.

Remember Arya's last image of Sansa - standing next to the people who chopped her dad's head off. And the 2 were not speaking at the time they were separated. Because Sansa was basically being a ninny and siding with Joff against her own family. Remember it was Sansa who threw a hissy fit over being sent back north and Sansa who ran to spill the beans to Cersei. Arya didn't know this last detail but the rest doesn't exactly make for a happy reunion.

It's interesting that Sansa looks and outwardly acts like her mother, but it's really Arya who got Cat's taste for vengeance and holding a grudge.

I love the Starks overall but those kids have all been through the wringer and robbed of any sense of security and love at very young ages. I think that is going to reap all sorts of craziness moving forward. Will make for some interesting reading and eventual viewing!

Archived