Willas Tyrell

Valyrian Spoon

Olenna likes him, and she doesn't like -anyone-.

That seems to hint that he's as crafty as his grandmother, perhaps...I wouldn't put it past him...I was quite suspicious when Oberyn mentioned that they were "friends". It seems very unlikely that a Tyrell would actually think of the man who crippled him as a "friend". I think that it's mostly just good politics...

That seems to hint that he's as crafty as his grandmother, perhaps...I wouldn't put it past him...I was quite suspicious when Oberyn mentioned that they were "friends". It seems very unlikely that a Tyrell would actually think of the man who crippled him as a "friend". I think that it's mostly just good politics...

Idk, I believed him. It really seems like the whole leg incident got blown out of proportion by the families. It really did sound like an accident to me. These things happen in melees.

Idk, I believed him. It really seems like the whole leg incident got blown out of proportion by the families. It really did sound like an accident to me. These things happen in melees.

Oberyn really was totally casual about the whole thing, and he's a guy who tends to wear his heart on his sleeve. It does sound like something that Mace Tyrell and even Olenna get all overblown about. When the incident is described, it does indeed sound like a total accident caused by Mace putting his young, and entirely too innexperienced, son in a a tournament in hopes of forging a champion. Loras and Garlan show that such things can be successful, that pushing the envelope from the very beginning can create fantastic results, but Willas shows the darker side of that equation.

Even so, a lot of people forget that the Tyrells aren't just successful because they're pretty and have good lands. They're smart, and they work hard for every bit of skill they wind up with (Mace may be a lukewarm commander, but he produced some amazing kids). If Willas was successful in trading swords for books after his accident he could be a very formidable character. You don't need to be able to fight to have power in Westeros, and on a horse Willas would stand as tall as any man (he'd be faster too if it were one of his). Even when his hobbies are described, it's a very promising field. Horses are the soul of knighthood, the heart of an armored combatant's strength. Honor is a horse, if you go by Jaime, so it speaks volumes of Willas that he makes the animals behind knights and lords a specialty.

"Friends" can mean one of several things-perhaps Oberyn's been introducing Willis to Dornish delights.

I think he has to show a least a little cunning and shrewdness to impress his grandmother. Just intelligence would not be enough. He needs to that cunning and shrewdness that he would need to play the game. He does not need to be reaching and greedy like others but he has to be able to defend himself and his family in order to impress his grandmother. Someone she would feel comfortable leaving the family to.

As for seeing him I think he will pop up but I'm not sure how importnat he is going to be. More of a peripheral character.

I love the story of how he gave the nickname to Garlan.

What is the evidence that Willas is power hungry and devious? or is it just a general impression? (i'm not being snarky i'm curious)

If Olenna and Oberyn have high opinions of a character he's probably more than just a 'nice' guy. Not necessarily devious or power hungry, but probably a savvy player of the game.

It was mentioned twice (that I recall) that he has an interest in astronomy (besides books, of course). I have a feeling this could become important at some point, I can't really say how, but for one, there's the comet and the whole prophecy thing. Willas might just have some important bit of knowledge.

And let's not forget Oldtown, where he has a cousin or nephew, Lazy Leo, who just happens to study with Sam, under Marwyn. Something must come from this.

Even so, a lot of people forget that the Tyrells aren't just successful because they're pretty and have good lands. They're smart, and they work hard for every bit of skill they wind up with (Mace may be a lukewarm commander, but he produced some amazing kids). If Willas was successful in trading swords for books after his accident he could be a very formidable character. You don't need to be able to fight to have power in Westeros, and on a horse Willas would stand as tall as any man (he'd be faster too if it were one of his). Even when his hobbies are described, it's a very promising field. Horses are the soul of knighthood, the heart of an armored combatant's strength. Honor is a horse, if you go by Jaime, so it speaks volumes of Willas that he makes the animals behind knights and lords a specialty.

Great post... and I agree with it... the Tyrells are fascinating... I wish to learn more about them...

Someone said we might see Highgarden in a Connington PoV.

But I dont agree, I guess we will first see them via Aeron... well, matters of what he does presently, but I guess the IronBorn will be the first ones to Highgarden.

It was mentioned twice (that I recall) that he has an interest in astronomy (besides books, of course). I have a feeling this could become important at some point, I can't really say how, but for one, there's the comet and the whole prophecy thing. Willas might just have some important bit of knowledge.

And let's not forget Oldtown, where he has a cousin or nephew, Lazy Leo, who just happens to study with Sam, under Marwyn. Something must come from this.

Isn't Lazy Leo a Lannister?

Great post... and I agree with it... the Tyrells are fascinating... I wish to learn more about them...

Someone said we might see Highgarden in a Connington PoV.

But I dont agree, I guess we will first see them via Aeron... well, matters of what he does presently, but I guess the IronBorn will be the first ones to Highgarden.

I just hope we are not introduced to Willas via his drowning in a barrel of sea water.

What is the evidence that Willas is power hungry and devious? or is it just a general impression? (i'm not being snarky i'm curious)

No evidence - just a sneaky suspicion based on the way things tend to shake out in the story. Everyone describes Wilas as being a kind of sweet bookworm type (even Littlefinger describes him as boring), which leads me to believe he's anything but.

Also, he remains the heir to Highgarden; I believe Olenna would have made a point of ensuring he had the political savvy to survive. Garlan seems very shrewd, too; my gut feeling is that Loras is Mace's favorite partly because Olenna spent so much time grooming his two older sons, and left the youngest to Mace.

The mention by Littlefinger is a big one. Him saying to Sansa that she'd hate Willas because he's so dull practically screams out that he's anything but ordinary. Littlefinger lies. He lies all the time. He lies about who he is, who other people are, what he intends, what power he has, what he's done, what he will do, and a thousand other things. By his own words, sometimes he'll act for no other reason than to screw everyone else up, or have them mistake their intentions of him.

And yeah, Garlan may be more than he appears as well. Assuming his actions during Joffrey's wedding were scripted, he could have been playing Tyrion into provoking Joffrey by building up his confidence, thus providing a more solid base for the poisoning to be dumped on his lap. As well, when the cup is a described, it makes you wonder how Olenna, with her small stature, could easily carry out the act.

• 1 month later...

I'm really looking forward to meeting Willas and to "see" highgarden.

We've heard quite a lot of him and it is past time that he makes an appearance. And Victor227 has a major point, if LF is telling Sansa that Willas is boring says to me that they probably would get along really well. Although I'm not quite sure how they would ever meet.

In some ways Willas' description is pretty similar to Rhaegar, and as mentioned before the astronomy thing might be very important as we do have a big comet crossing the sky.

If Willas Tyrell spends a lot of time breeding animals, he probably can see what really happened with Cersei's children.

This discovery doesn't really play into the Tyrells hands, does it. Also, by now, the entire Westeros is aware of this possibility anyway.

Archived