Asha is one of the most likeable characters in this entire series!

I like the way she is able to swallow her pride and bend to Stannis without seeming even remotely diminished or broken as a person, but not seeming sort of unbelievably defiant or strong either. Her interactions with the She-bear also works well - she doesn't make Alysane her best buddy, but they do reach a certain level of ease in their interactions.

Theon isn't humane. He allowed for the death of two millers boys. Just because they weren't starks doesn't make child killing any less disgusting.

But I don't quite understand how the Iron Islands, a place even more paternalistic and misogynistic than the rest of Westeros (quite a feat!), could produce somebody like her. It would be like the Dothraki - the real Dothraki, not little Dany's band - somehow ending up with a female khal. Not a khaleesi, a genuine KHAL of the female variety.

Her men are just as much reaving iron islanders as any other. They take saltwives and pay the iron price. Iron Islanders are no more ruthless than any group of soldiers in Westeros. War is hell, pillage and rape are the soldiers' stipends for service. I enjoy the Greyjoys just for the sake of the realism of their customs. Separates GRRM from other fantasy writers, Tolkien included.

Edit: After his two boys are killed and Theon sent away, Balon confided in Asha a lot. Asha also feels a sense of filling the shoes of the sons he lost. I took that for her character dev anyway..

As said before, Asha is a little too good to be true when looking at the Greyjoy. She's grown up in a enormously misogynistic society, yet as a woman she's very upbeat and welladjusted. She's moral, she gives her captives every possible courtesy, yet she has the undying loyalty of 30 ships of rapists and plunderers. She was raised by her father who takes their "we do not sow" words to the absolute extreme and it is made clear that Asha's way of doing things makes him quite proud. Yet she's actually very diplomatic, respectful of others people's culture and understands the way the world actually works in all the ways her father and uncles do not.

Yara on the other hand seems like the image of the Iron Captain that Theon should have been, except female. And a little to happy to have her brother fondle her.

Her men are just as much reaving iron islanders as any other. They take saltwives and pay the iron price. Iron Islanders are no more ruthless than any group of soldiers in Westeros.

This is not true. The North want leaders like Ned. The Reach and Stormlands want guys like Renly leading them. The Ironborns elect with overwhelming majority Euron Greyjoy cause he openly promises them lots of raping. It is not the same. Compare Victarion in GRRM to any other POV in the books, no one thinks like he has been raised too.

-_____-

That's just being coy and smart thats NOT being inhumane.

Inhuman is Gregor Clegane...

Kingsmoot shows her smarts off because she had a logical and well thought out argument that looked at the future.

She's proved time and time again that she can think well.

She's powerful because she's a woman in a mans world still doing what she pleases.

Hey, I'm not hating on Asha! She's in my top 10 (maybe) all I'm saying is she's a true Greyjoy. Who are more humane then Gregor.

Regarding the Kingsmoot, I understand that Euorn was going to win regardless, but Asha would have voted for Vic, which is insane. She's Balons favorite!

When has she proved that she can think well? She prooved she can kill people and bend the knee, but not think.

Do what she pleases? Man's world?

She voted for Vic! That could have been the reason it's a man's world, otherwise like King Balon said the crown would go to the women Asha.

And if she did what she pleased she wouldn't have married. She's not Lady Hornwood nor Sansa, she could have refused.

Greyjoy's are stupid and will always lose to the Wolves at the end of the day. That doesn't mean we can't like em

And if she did what she pleased she wouldn't have married. She's not Lady Hornwood nor Sansa, she could have refused.

Uh, Euron held her 'wedding' by having a seal stand in for her. She was hundeds of miles away and had no say in the matter.

. ok my inital view from the advance pics before the s2 started was abject disapointment but now the Asha in the tv series is quite close to my own vision of her from the books. they are a poor house that is definately NOT in favour with the crown. so even if Asha wanted to be Sansa-like and elegant she could not have pulled it off. being a woman captain though, and having earned the respect of her men, i doubt she gave much thought to her grooming. with that in mind, Yara fits better even if it was not flattering to the actress to have her hair flattened and greasy and with those huge dirty saltstained cloaks.

Asha is a sexy bitch, no doubt.

I think in the book it's made mighty clear that Asha earned her status in the Pyke society. I think its totally legit. She's doesn't need to be that saavy to command the Ironborn either. They're fairly simple creatures.

I find her interesting because she was raised in and is a product of this harsh, brutal, misogynistic society, but is still somehow smart, moral, tough and whatnot. She earned the respect of her countrymen and her crew by being a competent and skilled commander. You can tell she inspires genuine loyalty in people — look how guys like Tristifer Botley give up their inheritances in order to follow her.

Excellent description. She's intelligent, capable and clearly enjoys life. Asha is one of my favorites. She would absolutely be included in my "Girls Night Out."

While she's easily the most likeable of the family, she is still Ironborn, the most despicable culture in Westeros. Where as guys like Joffrey and Ramsay are terrible, it's not expected of them and are in fact depised by their own families for displaying such behaviour. Ironborn overall are horrible people with a ridiclous sense of self-entitlement and that reaving is their god-given right. We Do Not Sow is a motto for a people of thieves.

• 2 weeks later...

The xena of AsOIaF whats not to love. She could make me her personal vibrator any day of the week i hope he makes it at the end and gets the iron islands and change their dumb ideology and be there when theon gets killed to see that he still has family that loves him (despite the douche that he was pre reek). Still yes i love her definitely my fav female character with arya coming second

I like her as well, and would love to see her as queen of the Iron Islands. She has a vision for the Ironborn beyond reaving, raping and pillaging. Asha seems the most practical and forward thinking of the whole Greyjoy bunch. She's not insane or a complete idiot which is a huge plus in my book.

I guess this is mostly because she was raised as Balon's heir. If her brothers had survived, I imagine that she would be an almost entirely different person.

I agree. It reminds me of Catelyn a bit, much of her education was because she was her father's heir for a long time.

I geuss Asha is ok, but she took part in an invasion of the north, she killed northmen, she helped bring anout the young wolfs downfall, so she must die. I only hope a stark does it.

• 1 year later...

Archived