So you all think Jamie is the Valonquar...

All the more reason to think it'll be Jaime! Tyrion actually wants to kill her — obviously he's going to be denied. :D

Fair enough, but I was more thinking alongside the lines of Jamie's thought process. It just doesn't seem as of now that he will kill her...I believe there has to be a further catalyst for him to finally kill her....she'd have to do something REALLY messed up.

Fair enough, but I was more thinking alongside the lines of Jamie's thought process. It just doesn't seem as of now that he will kill her...I believe there has to be a further catalyst for him to finally kill her....she'd have to do something REALLY messed up.

Oh yeah, I agree with that. I'm flirting with the idea that UnCat forces Jaime to kill Cersei in order for him to save Brienne from being killed, or something along those lines.

ETA: Or yeah, her killing one of the children.

Going by the rules of if its obvious, it won't happen: it wont be Tyrion.

Could be Jaime but she would have to do something bad, the thing is though Jaime was kinda distant from all his kids so I don't know if Cersei killing Tommen would be enough of a catalyst.

Maybe it would be saving Brienne/ keeping his word to UnCat or something.

As a sidenote: I really kind of wish GRRM throws us a few cur balls where this "if its obvious, count it out" rule doesn't work at all time.

Oh yeah, I agree with that. I'm flirting with the idea that UnCat forces Jaime to kill Cersei in order for him to save Brienne from being killed, or something along those lines.

That might be the thing that could get him to do it, but idk if he would resort to kinslaying to save Brienne. he saved her from the bear pit, and i think he would save her in almost any circumstance, but now that he is on his path to redemption, i can't see him killing cersei. Letting her die, or not saving her given the chance is completely different however...

She thinks it will be Tyrion and Cersei isn't right about anything! I agree with Apple Martini, Tyrion wants it so bad there is no way he'll ever get the satisfaction!! I think Jaime is the valonquar... I expect he'll kill her to save someone he doesn't think deserves to die. He'll suffer for it because he'll feel that he had do it, but still regret it because a part of him will alwys love her.

And I can't wait for the moment she realizes that it's Jaime!

Jaime might be it. And I am not sure it will be all planned by for him. As mad as he is at her he still loves her, I think. I think he either is forced to due to circumstances, has to for the same reason, or it is accidental.

Jaime in the last two books has been going through transitions, almost a literary character set up, and has come so far from pushing Bran out a window, that I think it has to build and go somewhere.

The worst thing that could happen to Cersei would not be defeat by the enemy, but by him, because it would be so unexpected by her. He is still probably the last person on Earth she would think would be a threat, so it would that much more worse in her case. He is the last person she would expect to be the valonqar. We know her track record with deduction by now.

Tyrion would be anticlimactic now. She already interpreted the prophecy her way with him and it only hurt her in the end. Nowhere to build. A big theme for Tyrion was Cersei and Tywin discounting him and treating him badly and it seems that has run its course. Cersei lost out on a good Hand, advisor, counselor, and possibly a brother who might have cared and been loyal to her, and Tyrion killed Tywin, so Tyrion as valonqar would really have no where to build up for good literary tension. Jaime would be better.

Could be wrong though. You never know with Martin.

I see how it is possible, but unlike Tyrion, who lusts about murdering and raping his sweet sister, Jamie simply is cold about it. He didn't have murderous thoughts when he found out about her infidelity, nor did he want to go rushing of to kill her.

Come, argue! :)

Wait until Cersei directly or indirectly, intentionally or (more likelly) unintentionally kills King Tommen. Then Jaime, now redeemed will be all like: "not on my watch, bitch!" And this is how Cersei will bite the dust.

My big objection to it being Jaime (which was my original idea as well) is that it means both Lannister brothers will have strangled their ex-lover who they were angry with over perceiving them to have cheated on them. I just think that's a little sketchy and raises some issues, especially given how controversial I've heard Tyrion's killing of Shae was. I also have a hard time seeing Jaime strangling Cercei as a natural development of the path he appears to be on right now, although god knows things can change quickly in this series.

My big objection to it being Jaime (which was my original idea as well) is that it means both Lannister brothers will have strangled their ex-lover who they were angry with over perceiving them to have cheated on them. I just think that's a little sketchy and raises some issues, especially given how controversial I've heard Tyrion's killing of Shae was. I also have a hard time seeing Jaime strangling Cercei as a natural development of the path he appears to be on right now, although god knows things can change quickly in this series.

I don't think Jaime kills her over cheating. Hes redeemed, this would be a petty reason. He will do it when she kills or take actions that lead to the deaths of their children (since Jaime is sworn to protect the king...).

I don't think Jaime kills her over cheating. Hes redeemed, this would be a petty reason. He will do it when she kills or take actions that lead to the deaths of their children (since Jaime is sworn to protect the king...).

But in this interpretation, he would still be killing her out of rage... it's not like it would prevent the deaths, and it's not a form of judicial punishment either. It just raises some troubling gender violence issues for me, especially since most people will probably celebrate Cercei's death, and I am really slow to worry about that kind of stuff.

I do think it will be Jaime, but I also think it will be an accident of some kind. I wonder how literal the prophecy is meant to be, because Jaime couldn't 'wrap his hands around [her] neck' - he's only got the one, which would make strangling her bare-handed quite difficult... Although, that would be some ugly symmetry, Tyrion and Jaime both strangling their lovers with gold hands...

I can't see Cersei ever killing any of her children, so don't believe that she would kill Tommen.

But the prophecy refers to the deaths of her children, possibly before her. So what if Myrcella died, and something also happened to Tommen (maybe a simple accident in the training yard?). I could see Cersei desperately try to hang onto power, because she is crazy as well as power-crazy. But with Tommen and Myrcella dead, she is no longer queen or even queen-regent, so has no right to any position other than as heir to Casterly Rock. Which I don't think would be grand enough for her now :)

But Jaime as LC of the KG is oath-bound to protect "the king", which would be Stannis if we go on the Baratheon line, and don't worry about all the other potential claimants. I could certainly see new Jaime, determined to uphold KG oaths and restore his own personal honour as well as that f the KG, standing up to Cersei in some sort of scenario involving protection of the next king. Would he be asked to throw her out of KL and get into a physical struggle with her in some way? It would be fitting and also deeply ironic in the extreme if that were the case, because it was only because of Cersei that he joined the KG in the first place. Tywin underestimated his commitment to his role as LC, and I can definitely see Cersei doing the same.

But in this interpretation, he would still be killing her out of rage... it's not like it would prevent the deaths, and it's not a form of judicial punishment either. It just raises some troubling gender violence issues for me, especially since most people will probably celebrate Cercei's death, and I am really slow to worry about that kind of stuff.

No, not out of rage. Out of duty. He's a White Cloack (their commander for that matter). If the King is killed/threatened he must prevent/avenge him. This is what I think will happen (at this point, Myrcella will be already dead). Cersei will either become mad and kill Tommen, kill him in an Aerys II fashion (city is sieged, she prefers to kill him rather then surrender him, etc) or just take (another) very bad decision that puts his life in dire peril (say perhaps she kils Margaery leading the Tyrells to kill Tommen). When Jaime discovers it he does what Arthur Dayne would have done: he fights to the end and avenges his king. No rage there, just honor and duty.

EDIT: As for gender violence, I'm all for women's rights, but this should not create some form of double standard. If Jaime (or anyone) kills Cersei, I'll judge the action the same as I did when Tyrion killed Tywin (and in this particular case, I totally endorse what Tyrion did and would have done the same). Cersei is right about one thing: she IS the truer son of Tywin. Meaning she is as much as evil as he was.

EDIT 2: I endorse Tyrion killing Tywin, NOT him killing Shae, just to make it clear. Shae was far from the best person in the world, but you don't kill your significant other/lover/mistress/whatever because he/she (sexually) betrayed you. Specially if she's a victim in a very disfuncional relationship. Although it could be argued that she might have denunced his presence... so... not quite sure about what he should do there.

I can't see Cersei ever killing any of her children, so don't believe that she would kill Tommen.

Cersei is not dim witted as some here keep saying. She is however paranoid and delusional. She only seems to trust people she shouldn't. She cause most of the crap in her life. Now with Kevan dead, she will get back to her son. IMO she will try to save him from what she see as a threat(that really isn't) and cause his death. Something like Marg calling him over, and Cersei grabs his shirt, he pulls free and fall off a walk way. By her hand is the only way I see GRRM killing him.

Archived