Plot twists you did not expect. (Major spoilers!)

Spurned Suitor

My #1 chest-gripping full cardiac arrest shocker: Arya going blind. I was actually angry about it happening.

I was surprised that Dany actually got married in Mereen. I thought she would follow her heart, not her rabbit ears.

I was really surprised when I first read that Lord Manderly had clapped Davos in irons and later executed him.

The reasons seemed quite incomprehensible at the time.

One of the biggest plot twists that I did not expect was Lysa poisoning Jon Arryn.

What about you?

That stunned me. That's a big one.

And then the Moon Door defenestration happens, and all I could think was "Littlefinger you magnificent bastard, you king of swine!"

- Darkstar trying to kill Myrcella.

- The baby switch at the Wall

Yup, though this confused me more than shocked me. Had to read it twice.

Catelyn coming back as Lady Stoneheart.

Yeah, as soon as the text begins to describe her, I was saying "oh crap, here's comes trouble".

Shae betraying Tyrion and Sansa.

Tywin and Shae.

Yeah, I was not that surprised it happened.

Didn't really expect the cruel mockery at trial though. Or her in Tywin's bed.

Ned biting it. I even held out hope that "Sansa, come with me to the battlements; I want to show you something" was going to lead some great last minute redemption for the boy king, and reveal Sansa's father safe and sound and-- oh, no, it's the heads... all of the heads... poor Septa Mordane, too...

I was most shocked when Ned got betrayed by Littlefinger. I've been cursing that man ever since. Damn him.

I was mildly surprised reading the prologue of Feast for Crows in Pate's pov, and realizing the "alchemist" he was dealing with was the former Jaqen, and then by the last chapter, he's taken on Pate's face and place as a novice acolyte.

When Lady Stoneheart first makes her appearance in front of that Frey guy, and orders him to be hung for his crimes at the RW.

When Oberyn was so SO close to killing the Mountain, and instead his neck got snapped ... ugh :(

Littlefinger pushing Lysa out the Moon Door. O_O

When Littlefinger kissed Sansa. Surprised, but also grossed out since he basically sees Cat within Sansa ...

The Red Wedding

The baby switch - OOOhhhh that is why Gilly cries all the time

The Red Viper's death.

Lady Stoneheart - never saw that coming.

Visery's death

The Mance switcheroo

Joffrey sending someone to kill Bran

Lysa poisoning her husband

Tyrion killing Tywin

Jon Snow's mishap

I was not prepared for Cersei being arrested near the end of AFFC at all. It was so delicious to see the tables turned on her (though I won't go as far as to say that any woman, even Cersei, deserved the walk of shame).

I suppose it should have been expected that her plans would unravel--I did think her plot to send one of the Kettleblacks to seduce Margaery was profoundly stupid but I had no notion that it would backfire as drastically as it did.

After so much misery up to that point, that was one of my stand-up-and-cheer moments. I don't completely hate Cersei, I just think she's accumulated a freakish amount of bad karma.

- Bran getting pushed out the window

- The Tyrion/Tywin/Shae Hands of Gold chapter

- Dany's First Flight

- LF in the Vale (Fingering the Vale?) is all surprising to me - from the moon door to the way he quells the Lords Declarant to him breaking down the Arryn line and the slow realization that Sansa might be able to go home

Ned's death - I still find this the most shocking, what an introduction to the series, after that nothing should have surprised me.

Renly's death

Theon betraying the Starks and taking Winterfell

The Red Wedding

Jaime Lannister becoming likable

Finding out LF/Lysa killed Jon Arryn

LF pushing Lysa out the moon door (For a moment I actually liked Littlefinger!)

Tyrion killing Tywin and Shae

Theon as Reek

Varys killing Kevan

I think I should list more of the twists I did not expect.

Shae betraying Tyrion made me pretty angry and shocked. Maybe since the show seems to portray Shae as someone who indeed does love Tyrion(The second season finished when I was reading ASOS)

Tyrion killing Tywin is another one, as well as Varys killing Kevan. The Red Weeding, The burning of "Mance", Eddard Stark's death, Arya turning temporarily blind, Joffery's death(With Olenna apparently being involved), Doran's plan, Quentyn's death, Arstan being Barristan and the battle between Gregor Clegane and Oberyn Martell area also on the list. :)

First ever post, be kind! :)

Eddard Stark's execution - right up until the point where the sword came down i fully believed that he would be saved at the last second. It was this moment that i fell in love with the series (which is my favorite series of any of the probable 100 I've read) This one moment, where the main character of a show (i watched the first season before reading the books, i perceived Sean Bean as the lead) isn't protected by the great shield of the narrative like in every single other book i've ever read. i just fell in love :)

The Red Wedding - at the beginning of this chapter i hadn't slept for around 40 hours, was exhausted and couldn't keep my eyes open but wanted to finish the chapter. At the end of this chapter, when it was clear that they had died i was bolt upright in bed," shit shit shit shit shit shit shit" as i read furiously. The shock of what had just happened amazed me. It was like the world was real and i was in it. I finished the book that very night, and wasn't tired for a minute of it!

Jon Snow getting "killed" - OK i know in all likelihood he'll live but right now the perception is he's been fatally wounded. Totally wasn't expecting that at all.

Obviously there are about 20/30 more good twists that i didn't expect but the main one?

Coming to this sight and realizing i'm a fucking IDIOT and may as well have read these books with my eyes closed. it appears I've missed almost EVERY plot twist and revealed secret that hasn't been explicitly screamed into my face. (for example patchface, Jaqen at the citadel, Mance being at Winterfell) This make me feel like such a fool (thanks guys :D)

The Red Wedding was also a shock for me. I was expecting Robb to die at some point, but not in the way it went down. That was some messed up stuff. I also didn't see Cat dying along with him. That was the real shocker for me. I was like there is no way he is going to kill the both of them in the same chapter. But damn...what little I knew. :crying:

For me it was Coldhands in all his coolness (pun intended). That was probably the best chapter overall in the story for me. I knew something awesome was going to happen, but Coldhands on a giant elk with a hundred ravens was just amazing.

Bran getting pushed off the tower was another big one. Unfortunately I came to ASOIAF via the show. So I put two & two together between Bran getting pushed off the tower, and Sean Bean playing Ned. So Ned's death was no shocker at all to me. Otherwise I'm sure it would have been. Since then I've always expected the worst. And just went along for the ride enjoying the story. That's probably why I love Coldhands so much, because I'm shocked when something good actually happens.

Varys killing Kevan was another one I didn't see coming.

ETA:

Everything related to Lysa Arryn's plotline in A Storm of Swords.

Catelyn Stark's death . . . and subsequent revival.

Aegon 'Targaryen' heading to Westeros instead of meeting with his 'aunt' first. I'm actually upset with myself for not figuring this out ahead of time based on the absence of Lannisters in the prophecies at the House of the Undying. I'd been too caught up with the idea that Daenerys was the "younger queen" from the Maggy the Frog prophecy, which, in turn, ruined my perception of how the story was going to play out.

The Red Wedding - at the beginning of this chapter i hadn't slept for around 40 hours, was exhausted and couldn't keep my eyes open but wanted to finish the chapter. At the end of this chapter, when it was clear that they had died i was bolt upright in bed," shit shit shit shit shit shit shit" as i read furiously. The shock of what had just happened amazed me. It was like the world was real and i was in it. I finished the book that very night, and wasn't tired for a minute of it!

I had to reread the end of the Red Wedding chapter, sure that I had missed something and Robb was injured rather than dead. Took a while to sink in that it had really happened. Gut wrenching but utterly brilliant writing from GRRM. Reading about Jon's stabbing wasn't anywhere near as much of a shock. I just 100% expect him to either still be alive or be resurrected somehow. Probably partly due to reading all the Jon is AA stuff on this site.

Well heck, almost everything in Storm of Swords. The entire book had me saying "oh, fuck!" constantly.

Been the entire series for me, from Ned's head to Theon's and Jon's chapters in ADWD plot twist is like a roller coster ride.

Archived